1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers Kaeding kickin' now

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Aug 22, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Jun 29, 2009
    Source: <a href="http://www.scout.com">Scout.com</a>

Two field goals later, all seems to be forgotten. While neither occurred in the fourth quarter in the high pressure style, the kicks did a lot for the confidence of fans, the Chargers and Nate Kaeding.

Nate Kaeding: It was a good change of pace to get out there. I had to sit on a tough kick to end the season last year and then to sit six months. It has been a week since the Green Bay game and seems almost as long as the six months. I didn't come out and start the season as I would have liked to but I just worked through it – fought through it.

It was a good game for me to go out there and get back into my rhythm. Everything felt as it should be.

Did you notice it was a similar kick to the one missed at Qualcomm in the playoffs?

Nate Kaeding: It is funny how it comes full circle. I guarantee I wasn't about to miss that thing to the right. I felt good all day and I am going to learn from this and learn from the last two games and move ahead to Minnesota.

Talk about the ovation you received:

Nate Kaeding: It was an ovation before the kick – that was kind of interesting. Running out there and seeing the fans stand up. A lot of things being said outside of our team with the fans and I tend to look at the best of people – the media, the fans. The media is doing their job. The fans have to be critical and supportive at the same time they expect a lot out of me and I expect a lot of myself. It was kind of funny to see everybody say ‘OK, what is he going to do now.' It was good to get out there and nail that first one. It took a big load off my back.

What have you learned from this process?

Nate Kaeding: Something I have learned in these last six months and this last week especially is I have to be my biggest fan. This is a very humbling game. It can knock you down and keep you down. My nature is to be really self-critical. In this game, in this position especially, I can't do that. You have to turn it around so quick.

Even up in Green Bay I missed that first kick and boom I was out there again five minutes later. I am looking forward to going out this preseason and getting better so I can help this team win some games.

Is it more mechanical or more mental?

Nate Kaeding: After Green Bay we came right out again on Saturday and I could not hit the broadside of a barn. I couldn't hit the dang thing straight. It is in my head. I know I can do this. I have done it before. It was getting my mind right and working through it. That hard work paid off.

How is your confidence?

Nate Kaeding: My confidence is good. If I miss a kick I need to learn how to generate that confidence. That is a thing I have to work on. My confidence right now is great. I kind of lost perspective for a few days after Green Bay. This is camp. This is the preseason. The way it ended last year kind of compounded itself and became something more than what I really think it was. It took me a day or two to clear things up in my own mind. I am looking forward to continuing the good work I got in.