1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers lead NFL in interceptions

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers.com

<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>Chargers cornerback Drayton Florence didn’t need a lengthy description to explain why he believes his club leads the NFL in interceptions.<O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>“We’re making plays when they come our way,” <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:CITY><ST1:pLACE>Florence</ST1:pLACE></ST1:CITY> said. “That’s it. When they throw us the ball, we’re catching it.”<O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>After picking off Peyton Manning six times in Sunday’s win over the Colts, the Chargers now have 17 interceptions on the season, the highest total in the NFL. They’ve already surpassed their total of 16 they recorded a year ago. <O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>While it starts with Florence’s simple explanation that he and his fellow defensive backs are securing the ball when it comes their way, there have been other factors that have helped the Chargers rack up takeaways in the passing game this year. One has been the emergence of young playmakers like Antonio Cromartie, who has six interceptions in the Bolts’ last four games.<O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>“When you get a guy like Cromartie, when the ball goes up he tends to get to it,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “Early in the year he had a couple he had a chance to get his hands on. I think he was surprised by all of it. Now he’s relaxed and playing at a real comfort level. He’s making those plays.”<O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>As are other players. In addition to having the individual NFL leader in interceptions in Cromartie (6), a total of eight Chargers have intercepted at least one pass this season. Three linebackers – Matt Wilhelm, Stephen Cooper and Shaun Phillips – have gotten into the act, as has rookie Eric Weddle.<O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>“We’re doing a good job of anticipating the quarterback,” Cooper said. “That’s what happened on mine a couple weeks ago (against <ST1:CITY><ST1:pLACE>Houston</ST1:pLACE></ST1:CITY>) and on Shaun’s Sunday.”<O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>Another factor is scheme. One of the things defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell emphasized this spring was disguising coverages, which his defense has been able to affectively do throughout the season.<O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>“If you can make a quarterback think you’re playing a certain coverage and end up in a completely different place, he’s going to throw you a few,” said safety Clinton Hart, who is tied for second on the team with three interceptions. “You have to be sure you don’t stray too much and get where you’re supposed to be, but we’ve done a good job of that and it’s really helped.” <O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>Hart also credited the Chargers’ pass rush. While the Bolts are tied for 16<SUP>th</SUP> in the NFL with 19 sacks as a team, several coaches and players believe the ability of Shawne Merriman as well as Phillips and company have had a strong affect on the play of opposing quarterbacks.<O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>“They’re not taking their full five-step drops,” Hart said. “They’re getting rid of the ball quick and throwing quick routes. They know we’ve got guys coming and they know they can’t hold the ball. I think that’s made guys get the ball out quicker. When that happens, sometimes they don’t make as good decisions.”<O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>While all those factors impact the numbers, Turner ultimately agrees with <ST1:CITY><ST1:pLACE>Florence</ST1:pLACE></ST1:CITY>. <O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>“We’ve been fortunate,” Turner said. “We’ve got a lot of athletes back there and they’re making plays.”<O:p></O:p><O:p></O:p>

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That's impressive stuff man. Man, we're actually doing all this with Jammer on the bench. The young studs in the secondary are coming into their own with Cro and Weddle. Now THOSE 2 guys are some "ballers" man. The future looks bright in the secondary with these 2 young studs. Wow, 17 picks is awesome. Maybe I should get off Cotrell's back a little bit.....:icon_shrug:

Nah.....:no:

3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    We traded sacks for interceptions.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    The D is making plays, that's all I ask. After the clusterfuk in Minny they locked it down in the Colts game and saved our ***.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Good Point!!!
    Seems our passing defense has increased while our rushing defense has decreased!!! Maybe that's why we had such a rough time in Minnesota!!!!!

Either way... Our offense is what I'm worried about!!!!!
    HTF did we regress so bad?!!!!!!! :icon_sad:

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I still think that Teddy is putz & wasting talent on our defense. Still, we are getting the interceptions.

Hey B4L - this is a defense thread. Take your problems with our offense to one of your "Bash Norv" threads!! :icon_tease:

7. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    THe interceptions are more important, but we need to get more pressure than we are right now. Considering how lost out team as looked at times the secondary has played pretty well of late. Maybe that coach Bradley has helped?

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Huh ?

Our defense let the Colts march down the field so we could watch Vinatieri miss a chip shot. That is not locking down ****.

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Revisionist history. The defense didn't let the Colts march down the field. A Rivers pass clanked off of Gates' hands and the Colts picked it, giving them the ball at the Bolts 40. They hardly let them march down the field.

The Bolts defense surrendered 15 points to the Colts and got 6 ints. That's an impressive performance, especially when you consider our O wasn't doing **** and the defense kept having to go back out there to save our asses.

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    No it was more like deja vu.

When Stoyanovich missed his FG, we went to the AFC Championship but our defense caved - they let them get in FG range and how many yards they marched is irrelevant - they did it.

Same story against the Jets ......

Same Story against the Colts.....

Not much to revise the way I see it.

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    How many years did we scream - not that godddamn prevent defense again because it only prevents us from winning. How many times?

We have had a history of doing this **** that fans were ready to bust windows. We let these cocksukkers drive the ball to get in FG range and then we are howling at the moon like wolves in heat. Dale Lindsay was notorious for this and so were a few others asssswiipes.

12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Giving a D that has been on the field the whole game a short field to defend is very relevant. They let the Colts gain exactly one first down. Sometimes a good offense is going to do that, no matter how good your D plays. Blaming this **** on the D is ridiculous. How far they have to go is very relevant. The defense was on the field that entire game and they allowed a total of two scoring drives while forcing six turnovers. That's a fine performance.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The Colts make that kick and that "fine performance" is ****.

You know it - I know it - the broken down stump in the North 40 knows it. :yes:

14. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Bullshit. If we lose that game, the blame falls on the offense, not the defense. The Colts had almost 37 minutes TOP in that game. The defense was gassed, and they still manned up and held the Colts to the field goal try. When the Colts got the ball back yet again, the defense played disciplined and refused to allow any long sideline routes. They closed out the game. The offense sucked ***. The defense did its job.

15. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Regardless of how we want to slice it and dice it, it was a very watered down team. Shiat, they even lost freeney during the game, albeit the latter part. Even if we had held on to win it and not given up many points, i would still be worried about the team (particularly the offense). Before anyone takes a dump in their shorts over what I'm saying, let me explain.
    I just find it perplexing, to the point I wake up thinking about it sometimes, about what the hell could have gone wrong with our team. Maybe it's too much CSI and FBI files on Discovery channel talking, but I NEED TO FIGURE IT OUT DAMNIT BECAUSE IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS.

Where there is smoke there is fire as they say.

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    :lol: - Yeah right.

Not one sane person would be applauding the defense given the field goal is made. You must have a fever. :yes:

17. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Actually, most of the sane people would have been lauding the defense for picking Manning six times and shutting down the Colts run game, despite being on the field for 37+ minutes.

It would be like blaming the loss on special teams because they missed a PAT. Obviously, the missed PAT was a phuck up, but since the special teams gave us 2 TDs, it would be BS to blame the loss on that unit. Ditto the defense. With the way they manned up in that game, it would be BS to blame the D for the loss.

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    It's a lack of discipline. Stupid penalties, poor quarterbacking habits that betray a lack of focus, busted coverages throught the first half of the season and Oline played that looks more disjointed than last year. LT's totals are down, Rivers play is down, Gates is having his moments but he's only dominated a few games like he did last year on a regular basis. I'm running out of patience with Norval.