1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers leaning toward Mission Valley site?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
  2. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
  3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
  4. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    It would be cheaper and quicker to build in Mission Valley. I believe they will come to that conclusion when they run the numbers over the next few weeks. Just get it done, people!!

5. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    The Current site- although not perfect has good access from the highways (8 and 15) and trolley. Downtown would be nothing but one big traffic snarl every home game. Sadly tail-gating, as we know it, would essentially go away. With lots scattered through out the city and a general lack of parking, it just won't be the same. I like where they play now. I like the tailgating experiencfe.

Just build a new stadium on the other side of the parking lot, demo the old Q and get on with it. Get 'r dun.

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
    Tailgating wouldn't go away. It'd likely be different, and perhaps not as robust, but it'd still be there. There's still parking areas around downtown, some of which people tailgate in before Padres games. (Granted, I'm not fully sure how much of that would change while making room for a new stadium)

I personally wouldn't have a problem getting to and from the games since I prefer taking the trolley anyway (and that has plenty of stops downtown) but I can imagine it'd be a bigger nightmare for those driving.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I think it's the right step since it's basically tailor made as a sight for a stadium. Infrastructure already for mass transit and free way access, the huge parking lot, etc. Just build from there.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I imagine that "tailgating" at a downtown stadium would be similar to how it is in New Orleans where the stadium is right smack in the middle of downtown: people in every bar and parking lot within a couple miles of the stadium before the game, basically a huge block party in the downtown area. They also have a pretty sizable parking garage next to the Superdome (althought that would be a no go for bbqs and whatnot). I think aesthetically downtown would be more picturesque, but like Ant says, MV already has all the infrastucture in place. MV would definitely be way less of a mess when it comes to transpo to and from the stadium, downtown would be carmageddon 10 Sundays of the season.

Since I'm used to taking the trolley to and from games already I'd prefer DT, but honestly, just build a stadium anywhere in the county.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Paraphrasing Colin Cowheard, (yes he is a blowhard, who isnt on radio)

"San Diego needs to build their new stadium downtown next to Petco, the place where it is at is terrible, it's tough to get into, and THERE'S NO WHERE TO PARK!"

Had to lol at no where to park. I have no skin in this game as to where the stadium should go, I dont care for going to games, but will vote for a stadium initiative to keep Chargers in SD. But seems like DT would be worse for both parking and gettimg in and out of.

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    How do you get nowhere to park in a MV stadium with a massive parking lot around it? :roflmao:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    No place to park? At one time, Qualcomm had the 3rd largest parking lot IN THE WORLD. Not just in the USA, but the entire planet.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    For promoting the stadium as a place to hold world class events, the downtown makes more sense from that standpoint.

MV is a good site with the parking/I-15 access, but I highly doubt that the new stadium will have as large a tailgating/parking area as they have now. They will want to have other money making things than a big piece of asphalt.

You can take the current tailgating area and cut it down to about a 1/3 of what there is now. The MV renderings from the latest proposal have retail, residential, office and parking garages with a tailgate deck. They will charge a premium for those tailgate spots as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    I agree it won't be the same ever again anywhere with huge tailgating. I guess I am for the best plan that will pass with the voters. However, since there will be little to no tailgaiting like Petco, in a perfect world, I'd prefer downtown for the bars and restaurants for the 0-1 games I would attend each decade. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    I think that Mission Valley would be a great spot for a new stadium. Just an opinion.

15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. House of Hayne

Ratings:
    +204
    Well they just **** all over the MV sight so now it's downtown or LA all over again.

17. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Do you really think so? If the downtown site gets the thumbs down, they will still have good old Mission Valley and that Northwest corner where they can build a life-sized stadium with bleachers and everything, maybe even a few gourmet hot dog stands too.

18. House of Hayne

Ratings:
    +204
    Did you watch the press conference
    It's the same old we tried but it's not going to work BS
    I will be interested in what the mayor says because they were set on the MV site and not downtown

19. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    ^^^ Somehow, I am picturing two old guys in suits, shaking each other's hand, while they are holding a knife behind their backs with the other hand. Don't turn your back to the other guy, fellas. It is very Philly-like.

20. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Now I am hearing that Dean wants another 100-200 million and he will build the stadium on the Mission Valley site.
    Could someone just loan him a few bucks?

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    He's not holding anything back!
    [​IMG]

22. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    And someone in the press corps stated that Spanos is also asking for three different Cheetahs lap dancers and a free bottle of Dom Perignon evey other Friday as well. Oh, the humanity!