1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers likely to play in Dallas (UT story)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by nickelbolt, Oct 24, 2007.

1. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Chargers drill in Phoenix, but game remains up in air
    By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

October 24, 2007

PHOENIX – About the time the Chargers players and coaches hold their first on-field workout here this afternoon, the team should know where it is playing Sunday.

The Chargers expect to hear today from Mayor Jerry Sanders whether they can play their scheduled game against the Houston Texans in Qualcomm Stadium, and they are narrowing down contingencies for playing elsewhere.

“The Chargers are working closely with Mayor Sanders and the fire and police departments to determine how best to deal with Sunday's scheduled NFL game at Qualcomm Stadium,” the team said in a statement. “Protecting the public safety is the mayor's top goal, and the Chargers will continue to cooperate with the mayor to achieve this goal.”

The Chargers arrived here last night for three days of practice in clean air in preparation for the game, wherever it is.

“Tell us where, and then under tough circumstances we'll go from there,” General Manager A.J. Smith said.

Among the issues with playing the game at Qualcomm Stadium are air quality, the availability of police and other support personnel and the fact that several thousand evacuees are currently housed at the stadium.

The Chargers and the NFL are also considering whether playing the game in San Diego is in the best interest of the community.

It appears likely the Chargers will end up playing in Texas Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys, if they can't play at home, sources said last night. The Cowboys have a bye Sunday.

Dallas makes sense because the game would likely draw more fans than would a game in Arizona, which would ease the financial losses the Chargers will incur. Also, the Chargers would count on the fact LaDainian Tomlinson is from Waco and went to school at nearby TCU, as well as Dallas fans' acrimony for Houston, to ensure the crowd is not pro-Texans.

Click for full article...

2. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    This sucks. :tdown:

Only seven home games this year. Luckily this division stinks and we should win it with 10 W's.

3. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    NICE! At least for me! :)
    Usually I just get to see SD play in Arrowhead, which isn't the best place to have watched SD over the years. Texas Stadium would be a nice switch.

Will the club sell tickets or how will that be handled? There should be some good seats up for grabs with no season ticket holders and a last minute decision.

4. SilentMichael

SilentMichael BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Why Dallas?

Might as well play the game in Houston.

5. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022

That sucks. :tdown:

Doesn't matter though... The Bolts will win this one for the city of SD if nothing else.

• Like Like x 1
  6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    It makes no sense......1. The players are already in Phoenix, why travel more? 2. It just takes them farther away from their families. 3. It turns a home game into a complete road game, their fans will be there in full force. 4. Phoenix is a nice middle ground.

7. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    The Cardinals' Stadium is being used for a Moto-X race on Sunday and the logistics make it near impossible to get the stadium ready for a Monday Night game. Impossible to play on Sunday.

8. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Dallas? Might as well just give Houston the extra home game.

9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    But they still have ASU, which was used for NFL games up until two years ago. I'm guessing it's already set up for football.

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Dallas makes sense because the game would likely draw more fans than would a game in Arizona, which would ease the financial losses the Chargers will incur. Also, the Chargers would count on the fact LaDainian Tomlinson is from Waco and went to school at nearby TCU, as well as Dallas fans' acrimony for Houston, to ensure the crowd is not pro-Texans.

When they played in Phoenix, every seat was occupied. The seats were free. Are they going to charge for these seats?

with that, I do not see where Dallas makes sense.

Play in Phoenix on Monday night just like they did last time.

11. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I'm ok with the game in Dallas, as long as they provide each and every seat with a "Charger-colored" towel to whip around. Maybe print up and give away some cheap-o Powder Blue t-shirts. Also, if there's a way they can put a Lightning Bolt on the middle of the field instead of that Star, it would at least make things look more like a home game.

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Yes, but who knows what NFL logistics have to be in place for a NFL game. Not sure if they could pull it all together at the ASU stadium.

13. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    I not sure I see the logic here. They're saying that Dallas area football fans will show up to boo the Texans, but hoards of Houston fans won't make the drive up to Dallas? :icon_huh:

14. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    :icon_rofl: This would be fine. But I don't think Dallas is a anti-Houston environment. Most of the people will be Texans first.
    I would prefer Arizona even if ther#s a lot of money lost.

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551

Dallas is a strech at best.
    AzyState is closer, I can see a lot more Charger fans making the trip.

And besides that, Waco is a Cowboys town.

16. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    hoards of Houston fans??? Is there such a thing??? They are more down on their team than we were after that crappy start to the season. There aren't hoards of Houston fans even in Houston.

I think most of the people at that game would be there just to say they saw LT play. A handful of Charger fans, slightly more Houston fans, but far majority LT fans.

That said, Sun Devil Stadium might make more sense if that is actually close enough for SD people to drive to the game. I don't see a lot of SD season ticket holders showing up either place though really.

17. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +22
    If they play in Dallas- I'll go... Austin isn't too far, at all!

I just need to find out how to get my hands on some TIX.

18. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +22
    If they play in Dallas- I'll go... Austin isn't too far, at all!

I just need to find out how to get my hands on some TIX. Although, I hope they play at home. It would suck for everyone else, except me, and I want what's best for the team!

19. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    anybody else seeing double??:no:
    anybody else seeing double??:yes:

If it is in AZ, I will probably go. TX, although I would love to do it, is too far.

I have not accepted anyones offers of tix because I dont know WTF is going to happen to this game.

20. DelMarBoltFan

DelMarBoltFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    NO! I was planning to drive to Phoenix!

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The NFL is slipping us the fid.

22. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Why Dallas?

Why give the Texans a free home game?

What's wrong with Phoenix?

23. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Right now, the lack of an announcement on the final details of Sunday's game is making me restless.

24. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    SuperCharger?

25. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    A. Glendale is booked on Sunday, which is when the NFL prefers to play.

B. Chargers do not want to play in a college stadium because I was told on another board no hi-def replay system, which eliminates Tempe.

26. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I don't understand this one bit.

Play the game Monday in Glendale

Problem solved

:icon_shrug:

27. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    If this is true, then it just verifies my suspicion that given several 'sane' and 'rational' choices, the NFL will pick one that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

You have the LA coliseum (which is the best choice given it's a san diego home game), or you have sundevil stadium in AZ. Which is not great, but at least SD fans can get there in a day. Why go to Texas?

Unbelievalbe how people in charge can't make a decision that any thinking 12 year old could make.

28. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Oh, it's the chargers asking for dallas? WTF? For HD replay?????

thanks, guys..... thanks for thinking of your fans.

29. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86

On that board I was/am SoonerBolt. :)

30. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Awww... hell... just get those boys back here to California and play the game in Oakland!!! After all, we can't possibly lose in that stadium!!! :lol: