1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers/Lions Gameballs?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chispa, Dec 17, 2007.

1. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Apparently LT felt a twinge in his hamstring, nothing that warrants concern though.

Seriously, I think we also need to look at gameballs to the coaching staff, including dare I say Norv and Ted (who thought we would have said that at the end of Sept).

The team looked well prepared, they were ball hawking on D and effectively pounded a team into submission in every way imaginable.

Good teams win games against teams they should beat; teams that are factors in January win them easily.

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Mine goadda Norv and Ted :yes:

3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Mine go to the coaches, ST, D, and the O this was a team win !!! :yes:

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I was thinking the same thing.

Both coaches have started to emerge and the players appear to be buying it.

That damn Titans game was too close. We lose that game and we are looking to clinch the division on X-Mas Eve. This way we can now relax and watch our back ups tee off on the Mules. I like it.

Christmas is shaping up very nicely. :tup:

Last year, Rivers got us that breath taking come from behind win against the Seahawks.

This year, I wonder what Charger Santa has in store for us kiddies.

5. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    I'll take deferred delivery until the first weekend in February...

:icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  6. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Rep for you! :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Coaches:

Great gameplan. Nice to see a lot of smiling going on. The players are starting to believe in what Norv has preached, and it shows on he field as the players are giving 100 percent out on the field. Ted has gotten the defense to play at a high level for virtually every game since the Viking debacle. Ted and his coordinators have done wonders with the secondary, and they have addapted the defense to the point where they don't have to rely on the pass rush in order to succeed.

Offensive Line:

Showed some pride after the bad performance last week, granted this was the Lions. BTW, I was not impressed with Olivea at guard. He did not look like a guy who wanted to take the RG spot. Alphabet on the other hand impressed me, and he has done so each time he has gotten playing time.

Pinnock:

Did a great job sealing off against linebackers, and opening some big holes for the running game. I'm much more confident in his ability to be a starting fullback in this league.

Sproles:

This guy is just fun to watch. Has better cutting ability than Turner, and shows surprising strength. He's not scared of sticking his nose in the face of a linebacker.

Defense as a unit:

Solid game. I was not impressed with Florence or MEcree, even though they had two big hits. Seemed like when the Lions moved they ball, they did so by singling out these two players. The rest of the defense did great. Wilhelm showed some Edwards like skills in the zone coverage, picking off one pass, and almost getting another. Defensive line was very solid, even though they didn't have to do much. Hart played well. Weddle needs to start. He is always around the ball, and even though he might not lay the big hit like MEcree, he is a much better tackler, and his coverage skills are better as well. A combo of Weddle and Hart would be better than Hart and MEcree at this point, and I wonder when the switch will be made.

Overall:

I'm happy with the teams effort. They showed that they wanted the division title, and they didn't show up expecting the win. They came out and earned, and didn't let up after coming out strong. After starting 1-3 the team has to feel confident. There are definitely some big leaders in the lockerroom, and it makes me think of the times when Merriman and LT when to the press and called out some teammates. I think that that had something to do with lighting a fire under their asses.

8. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I'll go with:

. the inside LB's Cooper & Wilhelm for their twin killing (INT's) and leading the team with 5 tackles each - that doesn't happen very often, so, clearly they've been spending time watching film with Cro...:lol: they're doing a better job against the run and pass...

. and Chambers, who "finally" supplanted Gates as the leading receiver for a game... a coupla more of those and everything will open up for Gates and LT... he made some great catches...

nice job guys... :icon_toast:

9. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I know it get boring doing it, but the game ball should once again go to LT. He put the lions away in only 15 carries in 1 half of football

He was completely unstopable yesterday

10. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Ron beat me to a couple of my choices which are:

Wilhelm
    Chambers
    Clary

Oh and my boy Manu :yes:

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Chambers
    Sproles
    Florence
    Wilhelm

12. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Ditto

13. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Pinnock and Chambers for reasons already stated.

No gameball, but my boy CD made some plays. :tup:

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I agree with everything said here. But, of course, my game ball goes to my boy, Darren Sproles. :tup:

Here I come to save the day!!! :icon_banana:

15. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Individual players I was impressed with were Sproles, Pinnock and Wilhelm. i thought the O-line looked good as a unit as well.:yes:

Chris Chambers has proven to be an awesome acquisition:tup:

I would also like to take this opportunity to recognize the much maligned (myself being a huge former critic) Steve Crosby. The special teams unit has turned into a formidable weapon.
    :tup:

16. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Florence? :icon_huh:

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Floor-rince?:icon_huh:

18. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I was thinking that the Lions might give him a game ball for making their WR's look so good. :yes:

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Must not gafau!!!!:icon_rofl:

20. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I give mine to Ted and Norv !!! :yes::tup::bolt:

Oh, and Sproles too !

21. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I am going to be very odd here.

I will give one of my game balls to:

Billy Volek

The reason is that he did not give up a turnover, great clock management and kept us dominating with just running the ball.

Our whole D-lines and the whole of the O-lines because the D-line was able to keep the lions from scoring just 2 TD's and also the O-line was able to block excellently for the Bolts to get us 51 points. That is great dominating football there.

I apologize to you Sproles for not thinking that you were going to be a super star like Lionel "Little Train" James but I was proven wrong about your perfomance against the Lions. so my next game ball goes to the Mighty Mouse himself Darren Sproles.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    Hey great to have u back TT, missed u while ur PC was out of action!!... I bet you are enjoying ur days at the Q these days. Hey even ur man Scott got in on a couple of plays, first this year if I am not mistaken?. Will u be taking that busride back to Foxboro come end Jan do u think!!?.

My gameballs go to;

(1) the O line
    (2) the linebackers
    (3) Chambers (he is showing me why I loved him as a Dolphin) and
    (3) Darren, for showing me something I did not believe he was capable of.

23. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Volek threw two passes. One of them was a screen that was called back. The other was wide of the target. Does entering the game up by 34 and throwing an incompletion make a player worthy of a gameball?

24. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Defensive player should be Matt W. he had a great game that day.

25. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I will say it this way.

Billy did not hand a victory to the Lions by throwing INT's all over the place. He just kept on handing off because that what was working.

Just my opinion here:

Volek did what he needed to do and kept the clock management on the Chargers side and not on the Lions side.

26. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    He didn't throw any INTs. He also only had one official pass. It's hard to throw INTs when you aren't throwing. Volek was not responsible for the constant handoffs to Sproles. That was Turner.

27. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I agree about turners game management but it had to take the QB to keep the petal to the floor even with the Driver being Turner. Volek was the petal and Turner pressed on the gas. Sproles then made the engine go for the dominance that the Bolts had on offense.

28. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Volek is calling the plays?