1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers looking for as much as $700 million in public money for new stadium

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jul 11, 2013.

1. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606

I live in Fort Collins and drive through Denver all the time. If you go 56 in the express lane, you're toast. See the cops exclusively working that thing every time I'm driving through the city.

2. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606

Sure, but none of that explains why Spanos proposed an unrealistic deal. My guess is that after offering a good deal to the city a few years back and getting turned down, he's not that interested in playing, or he wants to start off with a deal that favors him so SD will meet him in the middle. I'm not sure how that ends though with the subsequent load of crap currently residing in City Hall.

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,455
    I question how much "progress" was being made under Sanders. It struck me me as a face saving "legacy" attempt at the end of his term. If he was really serious, Sanders would've gotten the ball rolling sooner.

Regardless, of how much "liquid" money Spanos has available, he has a continuous revenue stream via the NFL TV contract. Any owner that is losing money in the NFL is a failure as a businessman. Spanos can tap into the NFL's stadium fund besides, and to lower your buy-in as a negotiating tactic is just stupid. All that does, is to make people question your sincerity about staying in San Diego.

Face it, Dean Spanos inherited the business and the team...... there's been no evidence to suggest he's either a good businessman, or a good owner. Look how long it took him to finally make big changes on the team. Heck, he didn't even get rid of Dr. Chao, the quack finally did it to himself and was forced to leave. That's not leadership.

The Chargers recent drop in income isn't due to the poor condition of the stadium, but the poor condition of the franchise. A bad team doesn't sell tickets.

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684

Clearly you have opinions about Dean Spanos that I'm not going to change. I don't expect you to like the guy, but it's unreasonable to assume he should be dropping hundreds of millions of dollars on a new stadium he won't have any ownership stake in and will only receive a small portion of revenue from and if he doesn't he's obviously just biding his time to leave and being a big jerk (the general consensus). I'm honestly very optimistic about things as the Spanos sons take greater control of the organization - they have greater loyalty and investment in the franchise and they've put in the work to learn the ins and outs of how to run things properly. Dean isn't going to be head honcho forever and while he's not the best owner, he's far better than his father ever was and many of the others we've had in the past.

I happen to know (I don't mean that in a snotty way I just know people in the mix who shared info with me - this isn't necessarily public knowledge) there was quite a bit going on behind the scenes while Sanders was in office - a lot of the difficulty making progress was a result of the incompetence, partisan politics and corruption at City Hall, not an unwillingness by the Chargers (or Sanders) to get a fair deal done. I don't believe the Chargers have done themselves any favors with their PR (or lack thereof) which is just one more layer of frustration.

When I said that they didn't have the liquid money you assume they have I didn't mean they weren't profitable. Just that the general assumption that they have millions (or billions) of dollars just lying around to spend isn't true - in total assets they're considered billionaires but a good amount of those assets aren't cash or in a position to be liquidated to spend. For example... I may make money every month, but I still have bills to pay and a budget to follow. A good portion of my income is already spent before it even comes in. Doesn't mean I don't MAKE money each month, it's just not as much as one might think looking at my salary alone.

I never said the team wasn't selling tickets because of the stadium - teams that win will sell - granted the antiquated stadium does make the big money options difficult to sell (boxes, club level, amenities) but a winning team helps with that as well. The stadium is a problem b/c it's falling apart and a waste of taxpayer dollars to keep barely functional - a new facility in the downtown location, ideally tied into the convention center for convention use (and other major events, like concerts, sports outside football, super bowls, pro bowls, etc etc etc) is a GOOD thing for the city and county - freeing up land in mission valley and where the sports arena is for sale/development - potentially offering room for SDSU expansion and additional revenue streams where now it's only a drain.

NOT working with the Chargers or expecting them to pick up the tab on the majority of the project w/out a fair ROI is pretty damn stupid too. This idea that zero taxpayer money should go for the project and that the Chargers aren't an asset to the area is shortsighted and foolish at best.

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,455
    You seem to think that I have mischaracterized your positions....... I haven't. My comments were about the franchise broadly, not just your particular take on the team.

I never implied that Dean Spanos was the worst NFL owner. There clearly are worse ones, but that's not the issue here. I was pointing out his lack of leadership, which I think has been quite evident. The stagnation of the stadium issue is as much the Chargers fault, as anyone else's.

Regardless of Sanders wishes regarding the new stadium, there wasn't a public push until the end of his term...... that's just a fact. That doesn't mean there wasn't discussions beforehand, but Sanders never made it a big priority publicly until the end.

I'm well aware that the "liquid" money available is not the same as the team assets. I certainly never said the Chargers need $200 million cash on hand to start a stadium project though. That's what loans are for. This is a long term investment for the organization.

I'm not sure where this "zero taxpayer money" idea came from, it certainly didn't come form me. My point was simple...... if the Chargers truly desire a new stadium, then they have to put a bigger stake in, and be more willing to adjust the plan to suit the cities other needs. For the franchise to present it's stadium design, and expect the city to pay for over 2/3 of the project is presumptuous to say the least.

Any new stadium that the public would be the primary funding source should be designed to be a multi-use venue. It can't be made just to the Chargers liking, it has to suit the larger needs of the city. Basically, what the Chargers have done, is design a stadium, and tell the city that this is what they want built for them. That's why I said that beggars can't be choosers. If you're looking for a handout, the ultimate arrogance is to attach terms as well.

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I live in Denver and work in Boulder, Cops love to set speed traps both on the 36 and at every blind turn in Boulder

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,455
    Just paint a Dunkin Donuts logo on the side....... that should excuse any speeding tickets.

8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    No doubt, 36 is a nightmare. And Boulder cops are a tax surrogate force. Hmmm....maybe SD should consider that model to fund the needed $700 million.

'Speed traps for Spanos!'

9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    db's talking Boulder. It'll have to be Celestial Seasonings and gluten-free homemade bread.

• Funny Funny x 1