1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers Looking Hard at Mike Walker

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by boltssbbound, Mar 29, 2007.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,365
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/2007/03/12/ddn031207bigconweb.html

"Walker ran exceptional routes and caught everything in sight during receiving drills. If the flu bug were floating around that day, he would have caught it. He was very sure-handed.

One receiver's coach said, "He looked as good as any of the top receivers in the draft." That would explain why the San Diego Chargers were out in full force.

The Chargers organization was well represented at the workout with four members, which included General Manager A.J. Smith in attendance. The Chargers came away so impressed with the receiver that they are flying him out to San Diego in early April for interviews."

2. Chargeroo

Chargeroo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    I like your sig -
    - I wonder, is that also more better? :lol:

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    this was reported a while ago

4. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
  5. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Walker's short shuttle time of 4.39 (.04 sec slower than 40 time) suggests he's not all the way back from his knee injury - or at least doesn't yet have complete confidence in it.

I wouldn't overly worry about that. Bernard Berrian was similar when he suffered a knee injury. Took him his last college year, and nearly one full year in the pros before he got complete confidence in cutting/planting on his repaired knee.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    just wanna mention i said this in my mini cast :-D

7. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,365
    Were you your own "inside source" on that one? Because your other inside source never seems to get anything right. :abq2: :icon_rofl: :abq1:

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I'm more impressed with his stated route running and catching prowess than his burner-speed.

The last thing we need is some fast dude who can only run straight, unable to shake defenders, and then drop the ball when it hits his hands. Remember Featherstone from "Unnecessary Roughness" ?

• Like Like x 1
  9. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,632
    ha ha ha, same source that this one was made

10. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    AJ needs to trade out of the 30th spot to the early-mid 2nd and pick up an early-mid 3rd along the way. Take Walker with the early-mid 2nd (probably won't last until #62), and then with the #62 that's a better suited slot for drafting a second tier safety.

11. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,632
    last count says he's a low third rounder, he's still not as highly thought of as Jacoby Jones and even Ball from New Hampshire

12. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Guy like this is exactly why you should never pick receivers in the first round. There are always guys that can play deeper in the draft at this position. Solid safety in round 1, a guy like this in round 2 and AJ has had a good draft.

I had my ACL replaced in June and have a new found respect for how hard of an injury that is to recover from and how it affects your confidence. But he had a full year with the new wheel and is still damn fast. And with good hands too? Sounds like another AJ steal coming.

13. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Just watched a video of him, and i have to say, im not impressed with him at all

He looked slow (i dont care that he ran 4.3, he looked very slow), and caught the ball with his body way to much

He reminds me ALOT of former SDSU WR, JR Tolver. Definately not a guy i would take on the first day.

14. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Interesting. You got a link on that video.

Not sure how these guys get this far catching the ball with their body. This is Jackson's big problem from what I have seen. He needs to use those long arms and reach out for the ball to take full advantage of his height.

15. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
  16. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    All those guys are 2nd day picks. I bet Ball doesnt even get drafted with the horrible 40 time he turned in.

Great workouts in shorts doesnt guarantee anything. Walker IMO is at best a 4th rounder unless AJ likes him so much that he uses one of the 3rd's on him.

After watching that video...i agree that he doesnt play that fast but dont agree that he catches everything with his body. He reached up for some balls over the middle.

17. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    You owe me rep if Walker gets selected on the first day, I owe you rep if he gets selected on the second. EZ$ just like our Greg Jennings bet :icon_rofl:

18. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402

I remember the Jennings thing but that was you saying he would beat out Ferguson who has turned out to be a turd.

19. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    Look, Mike Walker is a first day pick. If you say you have watched the clips as you have claimed, then that alone, along with the offseason performances he has turned in, should be convincing enough. I don't need to point out the other 3-4 reasons why it's clearly obvious he will go, at the very LATEST, somewhere in the 3rd round. I say he goes somewhere between 50-64 overall.

And Ant, please just admit you are confused when saying that Ball and Jones are thought of more highly by legitimate football minds than Walker :tup: Jacoby Jones was pure hype after the east-west shrine game and has proven nothing. Ball is like a reincarnation of Mike Hass :icon_rofl: Mike Walker dominated at UCF and caught almost anything thrown to him. Our friends at leisure las vegas got to watch him a lot this year and I bet Chispa could tell you that he is 30 times the prospect either of your division 2 scrubs are. Just because Scott Wright (boltjolt's life parter) has Walker as his 22nd best WR doesn't mean he knows squat. The dude had Darnell Bing as an early 2nd rounder last year.

PS: I guarantee you that 2 days before the draft Scott Wright will move Walker into his top 12 WR group

20. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,632
    My point I mentioned is that Jones and Ball had more hype and are thought of more highly by the draft sources then Walker. Jones from the East-West game, Ball because this is the year that everyone' s looking for the next Marques Colston and after breaking Rice's old records, people started to notice him. That's also very valid. By the same token Walker has looked really good in individual workouts and apparently impressed enough that AJ Smith came out to watch and talk to him.

I think Walker is BETTER then Jones and Ball (what that's worth I don't know, I'd sooner have Robert Meachem) but I've got nothing to back that up then scouting reports because I've never SEEN Jones or Ball or Walker on tv or anywhere else. All I can do really, for prospects I haven't seen or are too obsecure, is take the temperature of what the draft minds think of him

21. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Scott Wright is underoaths partner...not mine. I had no idea where he had Walker. I had Darnell Bing as a late 3rd rounder last year in my mock and said all along he would be a 3rd rounder and he went early 4th.

That clip didnt show me anything that makes me think he will be a first day pick. They dont put clips together that show bad routes, dropped passes and going down by ankle tackles so why would that clip impress me so much?
    And a good workout in shorts doesnt sway me one way or the other. YOU could have a good workout in shorts catching the ball with no defenders on you.

Not saying he wont be a good WR...he very well could but i dont think he is a first day pick but i did acknowledge that he could go late 3rd if someone likes him well enough.
    Lets not forget he is a small school WR and there is plenty of other talent in this draft.

I do agree that Jacoby Jones and Ball will be late picks......if Ball gets picked at all.

22. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Couldnt you just get a "source" send you a tape of them like you said they did of Colston? :icon_mrgreen:

Not sure how you ever saw Jay McCareins last year either who you said we should pick in the 4th round.

Dont you hate it when posters remember stuff like that?:lol:

For the record, ive never seen Ball play but his 40 time will keep him a low draft pick or a UDFA along with being the Div 2 player. Only saw Jones play once.

23. Chargeroo

Chargeroo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    So, how long have you been this kids agent? :lol:

You can't be all upset over some other fan doesn't think as highly of him as you do unless you're his agent - or brother or some such thing.

24. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,632
    1. I said McCareins who I was high on was at BEST a 6th rounder, more likely a 7th
    2. Only reason I had this tape of McCareins is because of a friend who had the tape of his highlights who covers ivy league sports who i used to work with at NFLDraftBlitz

25. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    AJ says he's flexible. If I were him I'd take Buffalo's first and a swap of number twos. The Chargers would then have three picks within the first 50. Since the Chargers also don't need a lot, I might even package up two of the threes and swap them for another second rounder to a team with multiple needs.

26. Chargeroo

Chargeroo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    If I were Marv, I'd tell you your asking price is crazy. A first and a swap of seconds is a higher price than the slot award of 1st and 3rd.

What's a retired Catholic - a Lutheran? :yes:

27. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,365
    Exactly. Why would Buffalo trade more than they'd give up by signing Turner outright?