1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers Make A BEST List

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ....According to ESPN the magazine, the Chargers were voted the "Best Pro Team To Ask For Autographs". From writer Seth Wickersham...

No team has friendlier players than the Chargers. Even after a loss. True story: In October, at a bar in Buffalo Niagra International Airport, a dozen or so Bolts, including LaDainian Tomlinson, Philip Rivers and Antonio Gates, gathered after losing to the Bills. They were flying directly to London to play the Saints a week later, sitting at a lethargic 3-4 with nine games left. Drinks, some alcoholic, some not, flowed. Most pros are wary of fans in these situations, paranoid that every move will end up online. Some just don't want to be bothered. But the Chargers invited fans to wallow in their misery. They signed autographs, posed for pictures and chatted without end. A round was ordered and glasses were raised. "To 9-0", the Chargers toasted. "To 9-0" the fans replied. And everyone took a sip.

Okay, how do we take this. Either they're a bunch of the coolest players on the planet, spewing, friendly, positive energy and hoping for a 9-0 finish. Or they're a bunch of drunken losers. :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Well the drinking part is well known but It's good to hear they are such nice guys.
    As for the drinking, I don't care until it screws up their playing. As far as image I get the concerns but at the same time I don't care. It's not like Philip Rivers is an alcoholic or something...

3. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    It does make for a nice story, but it seems odd the coach wouldn't have a little more control over his players than to allow several (many) to toss down drinks in a very visible airport bar.

That begs for trouble. It's really nice that nothing but good things happened, but it speaks volumes about the discipline or the lack thereof on a Norv team.

4. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Cool story :icon_toast:

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Either way I like their style.

It's hard to really fault grown men for having a drink or two before getting on a plane. And I'd like to believe that LT, PR, and AG by themselves are all classy enough guys to keep anybody from slamming half a dozen shots at the bar. So if they were all hanging out I'm sure everyone was on their best behavior. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    FFS, they're adults, treat them as such. After the game, throwing down a few is no prob. Before the game? You need to GTFO.

7. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I am going here.

If it were the Patriots that did it you would defend that behavior. Even to the point of if Bill Belichick said for them to do it. So the Fans can be shown how good the Franchise is.

Imo. I like what the Chargers did there. It shows that they want to be with the fans and enjoy their company. Instead of stand offish about the Fans. It would Tarnish the Franchise.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'm far more accepting of them drinking after the game on hte flight home then the night before the game

9. fan4ever

fan4ever BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    The Chargers have (and for a long time now) the classiest players in the league. No big head "me" types. Never heard of one carrying a gun. Off duty nazi cops in Coronado? That's trouble.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    And they weren't even going home. They were going to London. Hell ya I would down a few before takin a long as5 trip across the pond. At least noone would get busted for DUI (ahem, Wilhelm, VJ-allegedly, Krause, Foley, etc.)

Under the circumstances, I don't see anything wrong with this. This isn't evidence of a lack of control of the team for Norv. There may be some elsewhere, but this isn't one of them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. sickswonnyne

Ratings:
    +79
    Does Merriman count? (literally and figuratively, remember the incredible shrinking neck in his player profile pics? Yes I know it was photo shopped.)

12. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I don't think the problem would come from the players, but the chances some disgruntled fan or a fan who wanted to stand up to an NFL player is always a real possibility in situations like that. It wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened.

13. sickswonnyne

Ratings:
    +79
    Yeah I thought about that, but under THESE circumstances, with there being "a dozen or so" (from article) teammates, including three stand-up, clear-cut leaders in LT, Rivers, and Gates, I highly doubt anything would get out of hand. Safety in numbers, nothing short of a full-fledged riot would have to go off to worry 12 of our nations' most physically conditioned humans. It's not like they were somewhere they weren't supposed to be, like a ghetto nightclub or in a hood park, but in an airport.

By the way i think having some of the most laid-back fans has a lot to do with this. I remember reading about how even LT would generally be left alone when he goes out to eat here in Dago. People obviously knew who he was, and would acknowledge him, but he doesn't have to deal with nutsos. Contrast that to Texas, where he said people would try to sit with him during meals and bug for autographs, so much so where he really can't go out in public there.

If player-treatment of fans is generally nice or respectful, the treatment of fans from players would probably be reasonably nice as well. I guess our fans are just not that crazy for the players, which goes along with our SoCal fairweather attitude. This ain't New York, Philly, or Boston, where they're KNOWN for treating players like sh!t.