1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers Make A Trade!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Apr 12, 2006.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Chargers have traded Sammy Davis to the 49ers for Rashaun Woods from the 49ers

www.chargers.com

• Like Like x 3
  2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Thanks for the breaking news. What do you know of this WR Rashaun Woods?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    This changes our needs a little in the upcoming draft. I think AJ will go CB or Safety first round, then concentrate on the OL. I don't think there will be any OL players that would be a good value at pick #19. Wait 'til round two. Love to get a free agent OT at the next round of cuts as well.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    He was seen as one of the best receivers in the 04 draft; great hands, great route running ability, good speed and quickness, no character issues. The problem seems to be the lack of use by the 49ers of him. Battle, Lloyd, etc and Woods never seemed to distinguish himself.

Lack of production does worry me but by the same token, how great can someone be on the 49ers? :yes:

5. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    I love this trade :tup: . AJ must feel that he will not be able to get Holmes or Jackson at #19.

6. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Didn't Woods go on IR last year? I seems to remember that, but not sure.

7. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +744
    Found this info on his injury.

Alot of 49er fans are down on him, calling him a bust and a player made of glass. But hopefully playing for a much better team like us will help to tap into his potential. I for one am just glad that Davis is gone. Hopefully AJ will bring back Jammar Fletcher for some depth.

8. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,594
    I don't think he ever fully recovered frmo his injuries and as such he did look slow especially when MORE injuries piled on top of them (think Rodney Harrison or even Donnie Edwards). Yeah the 49er fans thought him a bust but I don't think he's ever been given a shot to truly strut his stuff. on top of which the trade's great because we got rid of Sammy Davis:icon_banana: Tha'ts something to party about to begin with.

9. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +744
    ESPN Insider: Change-of-scenery deal

By John Clayton

The trade of 49ers wide receiver Rashaun Woods for Chargers cornerback Sammy Davis shouldn't be much of a surprise. Both were first-round disappointments. Niners coach Mike Nolan might have cut or traded Woods last year, but the cap hit would have too steep. Now, they let him go and take only a $111,000 cap hit even though Woods is only entering his third season. The Chargers have given Davis every chance to be the starting cornerback, but he never felt comfortable in that role. He ended up with four starts last season and played 31 percent of the Chargers' defensive downs. The Chargers called every team in the league trying to shop Davis. They were asking for a third-round draft pick. The 49ers have been thin at cornerback since releasing Ahmed Plummer, so Davis was a good gamble.

The Chargers may not be done trading. Two more players are on block although nothing might not happen as quickly as the Davis deal with the 49ers. The Chargers are shopping linebacker Donnie Edwards and safety Hanik Milligan. For Edwards, the Chargers want a second-round choice. For Milligan, one of the game's best special-teams players, the Chargers want a fifth-rounder. Both players are entering the final years of their contracts and will be free agents in 2007. Milligan has been complaining about getting a new contract and the Chargers think he might hold out, one of the reasons he's being shopped.

Giving up on Woods is not a strong endorsement for recent 49ers draft. He becomes the fourth first-round pick to leave this offseason. Julian Peterson and Andre Carter signed for big money with the Seahawks and Redskins, respectively. Plummer was cut and hasn't landed with anyone. The only first-rounders still left on the 49ers roster are defensive end Bryant Young, safety Mike Rumph, tackle Kwame Harris and quarterback Alex Smith.

One of the reasons the Chargers like Woods is they thought he could be another Keenan McCardell. Woods had hamstring problems that plagued him during his first season. He had other injuries with the 49ers last season. Not being a fast receiver, Woods lost the confidence of the 49ers coaches by looking too slow on the field. The Chargers plan to put Woods behind McCardell and let him learn. McCardell could teach him enough efficient route running to make this a good trade for the Chargers down the road.

10. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455
    I like the trade. Woods was a monster at OSU. I think given the right atmosphere (Coaching) and learning from solid veterans like Keenan and Eric that Woods could become a very adequate receiver. Could not be worse then Reche "Stonehands" Caldwell. Also, its good we finally cut the strings to Sammy Davis. Sometimes I thought this guy was an anti-ball magnet. You could throw the ball right at him and it would just bounce away from him like a repelled magnet. I think the move underlines the Chargers targets for the draft: CB, OT, OG, DT, QB. Most likely in that order. We are very thin at CB now which tells me they will either sign a free agent soon, use the #1 to get a CB that can at least start in the Dime from day 1, or trade Donnie or Hanik for a possible starting CB. One way or another, Davis is gone (Yeah!). DFlo is now the starting CB with no pressure on him (May settle him down and make him more consistent), and AJ has to do some major work on the secondary (which we need).

MadMike

• Like Like x 1
  11. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I'd take a bag of doughnuts for Edwards at this point; get that guy out of here. If you don't agree watch the game of the week showing on NFL Network against the Colts and it's obvious who the worst player on the field that day was. I want Wilhelm in there.

12. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,594
    I think we can get alot more then a bag of donuts

we should at least get bear claws and a few cups of coffee with them damn it:icon_rofl:

13. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Get them to throw in an apple fritter and it's a deal. :icon_tease:

14. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,594

Krispy Kreme or some other spot? :icon_huh:

15. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Edwards is worth more than a Krispy Kreme donut, but that is of course just my humble opinion.

16. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,594
    How about a dozen Krispy Kreme?:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I like this trade.

Sammy never got his groove and Woods may just need a change of scenery.

Candyman was on his way out so we may as well get something from somebody and our WR corps could use another set of sure hands. Woods has 4.46 40 speed so I do not expect him to stretch defenses.

18. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I think it'll be good for Woods to play with Keenan. I think he could be a similar style possesion receiver with some tutelage from McCardell. You're right though, I don't see Woods stretching the defense.

19. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I am not enthusiastic about the 49'er coaching staff to begin with in player evaluation.

If Buddy Nix and A.J. smell something here which is worthy then right on. I trust the judgement of these dudes.

20. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I don't know enough about Woods except that he was good in college. The candyman never panned out here, so at worse it's a wash, at best Woods could be a sleeper and eventually a good possesion receiver.

21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Our lack of D-back depth is now giving me the willies along with Roman Obens jacked up foot and Leander Turnstile Jordan who is the biggest POS this side of the Pecos ....

22. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Those are our weeknesses and I hope they are addressed.

23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The other one not talked about by Bolt fans at length is the loss of Jamal Williams at Nose Tackle.

We have nobody worthy to back up Jamal and this would be a disaster for the defense.

If anyone suggests Cesaire is a nose tackle who commands double coverage, I am going to smack my monitor.

24. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Actually I want to get a Jamal Williams jersey. I looked online and couldn't find one. Haven't checked the local shops yet. You're right, if Williams goes down like he did a few years back with the illegal chop block from that Denver lineman, we're in trouble.

25. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I have heard absolutely ZERO on Ryon Bingham at nose tackle who looked good before he tore a pec muscle. A.J. needs to address this because we are on the verge of .... I do not even want to think about Jamal going down.

26. CrmWestwood

CrmWestwood BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    Woods is a great pickup and I think that one lightning fast WR is all we need to have Rivers fully equipped with weapons. Offensively all we need now is a couple O-line pickups and we'll hands down be the best offense in the leage. Donnie is and has been a great LB for the Charger's and I'd be sad to see him go, but if we can get a starting dime back that is a proven commodity or a mid 2nd round pick, I would gladly let him go, just cause he's old and he wants too much money. Love ya Donnie but see ya! Super Bowl Super Bowl!!!:icon_mrgreen: :icon_eek: :) :icon_smile: :yes: :icon_wink: :tup: :icon_tease: :tup: :lol:

27. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Right on brother and agreed 100% :tup:

28. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I have been watching these dudes since the early 60's and I tell you what - this team is damn close to having ALL the ingredients to take the whole enchilada. Even with Philip Rivers at the helm ... "Dammit Jim we are about to blow up the whole planet' .... with this team

- we are that close ... that close brother.