1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers may limit Mathews’ carries because of fumbles

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Sep 24, 2012.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Chargers may limit Mathews’ carries because of fumbles

Posted by Josh Alper on September 24, 2012, 5:49 PM EDT
    Reuters
    There have been two lingering problems dogging Chargers running back Ryan Mathews since he was the Chargers’ first-round pick in the 2010 draft.

Injuries are one of them and that cost Mathews the first two games of this season. The other is fumbling, something that marred Mathews’ return to action in Week Three against the Falcons. Mathews coughed the ball up inside the Falcons 5-yard line in the second quarter and Atlanta recovered. They scored on the ensuing drive, taking their lead from 6-0 to 13-0 and leaving the Chargers behind from there.

On Monday, Chargers coach Norv Turner was asked about Mathews’ fumbling and, via Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune, Turner said that the team would “look hard” at when and where Mathews fumbles in hopes of limiting Mathews’ carries in those situations. He didn’t say whether close to the end zone was one of those situations and Mathews’ suggests that the issue isn’t specific to that area of the field.

Three of Mathews’ 11 fumbles have come in the red zone, which means that any situational similarity lies elsewhere. If there is a smoking gun, the Chargers would do well to find it because losing the turnover battle isn’t going to get the Chargers back on the winning side of the scoreboard very often.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...may-limit-mathews-carries-because-of-fumbles/

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    That fumble effectively cost the bolt's the game, just like a wide righty with time expiring. It was just more torturest to have to sit through the rest of the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Yes, that fumble cost the Chargers the game in precisely the same way that Charley Malone's drop
    of Sammy Baugh's pass led the Redskins to lose the 1940 title game to the Bears, 73-0. :roflmao:

Crushed.JPG

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Of course, it does take attention away from the fact that Rivers had Gates wide open over the middle for a sure TD only two plays before...... such is football. ;)

5. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Just how old are you?

6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Pretty old.
    I'll never forget that game because it was the first NFL game I'd been able to
    afford after graduating college (in just 3 years!) the previous June ('39). I could only
    afford to sit in the right field pavilion, though, of Griffith Stadium...what we'd now
    --in these politically correct times--call the "African-American section,"
    though it had a much more colorful name at the time. :whistling:
    Rumor was that Langston Hughes was sitting in our section, but I never saw him.

Anyway, Malone dropped the ball right in front of us...maybe on the 5 yard line of
    the Bears...it would've been a touchdown for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    It was 7-0 when Mathews' fumbled, early in the 2nd quarter, and the Falcons picked up with their asses in their own endzone.

You don't think the 15 play drive that followed was as big or bigger?
    Or Philip Rivers' terrible INT at the end of the 2nd quarter that gifted the Falcons 7 points?
    Or his 2nd pick right in the lap of DeCoud that ruined our 2nd most productive drive of the game?
    Or maybe the play of the O-line for all 60 minutes?

Games aren't won and lost early in the 2nd quarter, we had more than enough time to get our **** together and make it a game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Not to be all "facty" but 6-0 is probably ~16.7% closer...

p.s. Though 1 play can lose a game, this one didn't. If the Charger D couldn't
    stop Matty Ice from inside the 10, there's zero reason to believe they'd have
    stopped them from wherever a kickoff left the Falcons. Just not the Chargers' day.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The loss was a TEAM loss no doubt. But you cant ignore the emotional impact of a redzone fumble in a situation like that even if it was your favorite player. That said. Rivers 2 Ints and the defenses inability to get off the damn field sealed the deal. The team COULD HAVE recovered from the Mathews fumble if the other facets were working, which they were not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    When you get hit by a train it's not the last car that kills you. The "fumble" was the start of the of the snowball effect and it got worse from there.

11. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    wow... You got to see some real awesome football. I'd love to hear all your stories and stuff that you got to see.

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Like the guy who shows up late to work and the building burns down later right?

I'm sorry i guess I don't subscribe to the belief that a bunch of grown men can't get over a 2nd quarter fumble. At least I hope not, cuz I guarantee it won't be our last offensive turnover this year.

13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Articles like this must be real confidence builders when someone tapes it on the guy's locker...

14. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    My math isn't the best, but somehow I came up with the idea that you
    are 94 years old?
    I can't remember where I set my beer down and your remembering things
    that were 72 years ago?

15. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    So... that would make you 96 years old. Sounds about right. :confused:

16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Pretty old.
    I'll never forget that game because it was the first NFL game I'd been able to
    afford after graduating college (in just 3 years!) the previous June ('39). I could only
    afford to sit in the right field pavilion, though, of Griffith Stadium...what we'd now
    --in these politically correct times--call the "African-American section,"
    though it had a much more colorful name at the time. :whistling:
    Rumor was that Langston Hughes was sitting in our section, but I never saw him.

Anyway, Malone dropped the ball right in front of us...maybe on the 5 yard line of
    the Bears...it would've been a touchdown for sure.
    I double-checked: Just called my dad, and suddenly he's insisting that I was born in the early '60s,
    (and that not even he was yet born in 1940!). Thus, like Brian's mom, in The Life of Brian, I'm forced to
    ask myself "...or did I dream it?"
    Thus, in retrospect, it would appear that I was entirely off base, even contradicting my oft-told
    story of becoming a Charger fan in 1968 or 1969, when still but a tiny lad.
    Just the same, it's a lovely 'memory,' no? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    The Mathews fumble had a very small effect on the outcome of the game.
    Blaming that one play is like saying "we might as well not even try after that, we're
    obviously going to lose now."
    There were some good plays between that 2nd quarter fumble and the final whistle.
    Unfortunately, the majority of them were made by the Falcons.
    After the Cason interception I thought, "Ok, here we go, let's do this."
    Then Rivers throws a pick (If I remember correctly, or maybe it was just a 3 and out).
    My point...snowball effects only appear in hindsight.
    The term is an error in itself and really only works for actual snowballs.
    These guys are all professional athletes with strong internal loci of control,
    (excluding Kaeding in the playoffs).:eek:
    They won't put the blame on "snowballs", bad luck, or destiny. They put that blame
    where it belongs...on themselves (We of course put it all on Norv or AJ).
    Week 4, can't wait for it....

(by the way, E-Ticket has a Satanic message count.) :devilish:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    How about teaching him to go down when he should and to protect the ball? Nope. Put him on the bench forever.

Norv logic.

19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I guess when I think of it the fumble had nothing to do with the final outcome of the game. The 96 yard, 17 play, 8 minute drive in 90 plus degree heat was just what the defense needed. Yep, it had nothing to do with the loss, what in hell was I thinking???

20. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Here's a crazy idea: When you have the other team pinned inside their 5 yard line...stop them.

Or stop them on the opening drive.
    Or don't throw them two picks.
    Or occasionally cover Gonzales.
    There's lots of things the Chargers could've done Sunday if they were actually trying to win.
    They didn't do squat, and they got spanked...hard. Trying to reduce a terrible team effort to
    a single fumble (that possibly wasn't even really a fumble) may be desirable, but it isn't very logical.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Denying the start of a chain reaction to place blame all except where it started is ignorant in the least and stupid at it's best. Playing catch up after being put down two scores and your best running back losing the confidence of his HC is never a good situation to be in.

Yeah, you must be right, the Charger's players were on the take and just didn't care about the game. Why try to win when it's easier to just lose and collect your check on Monday?

22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    I love my team, but they were simply godawful Sunday. The Falcons played to win...the Chargers merely played.

Mysterious, fictional "chain reactions" may comfort you, but they have zero basis in fact.
    By your absurd logic, Nate's kickoff was the real culprit, since the Chargers began sucking then,
    well before the fumble.

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Well, there is very much such a thing as a momentum shift, which is just what that fumble caused.

Were there opportunities to minimize the damage & rebound? Absolutely. Anyone looking at this fumble as the entire reason for the loss is severely deluded, just as anyone who thinks that it didn't create a shift in emotions is also deluded.

24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Whatever gets you through it there little buddy, but you stating the team was not trying win is the most absurd stance I have read or heard to this point. Depositing the ball on the carpet and erasing the chance to go ahead might not mean anything to you. But the subsequent 96 yard drive for a score sure meant a hell of a lot to the Falcons. Those chain of events sure looked to take the wind off the Bolt's sails to me, then again, I'm just a ball watcher.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    "Momentum" is a word announcers use when a team is doing well. Of course, as soon as
    a couple plays go against that team, the magical "momentum" they had goes poof!
    And suddenly the other team is declared to have momentum!!! Yikes!!
    Umm...okay. Seems a little weird, since momentum implies that things will continue to go your way.
    And yet football "momentum" mysteriously lacks this predictive power...
    it seems to only accurately describe the game AFTER the fact.
    Nice idea. No basis in fact. Trying to blame a horrible team effort on a single play is absurd.
    (and no, I thought it was pretty obvious that I meant that the Chargers were playing as if they were poorly motivated,
    much less so than the Falcons...not that they literally did not want to win...that would be bizarre...if plausible)

26. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Spin it anyway you wish little buddy anything that make you feel all better.

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I agree that that one play didn't determine the entire path of the game. However, simply because Newton didn't recognize the laws of emotional momentum doesn't mean that they aren't a very real force.

I can't provide a mathematical equation to prove the existence, but I'd also wager that you can't provide one to disprove it.

28. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    I can't disprove unicorns, either

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And I can't prove the existence of one "true" god. See how this works?

30. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Um...not really...I wouldn't go down the "God" road when discussing football...a distraction...
    If you believe in unicorns, or retroactive "momentum" or one "true" god...as Jefferson said
    "It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."