1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers might go after cornerback in Round One

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Profootballweekly.com
    By Michael Blunda
    4-9-2010

Consult the latest mock drafts, and the popular first-round pick for the Chargers is a running back to fill the void left behind by the departed LaDainian Tomlinson. However, it’s far from a lock that the Bolts will select a rusher in Round One. With Clemson’s C.J. Spiller likely to be long gone by the time San Diego picks at No. 28 and Fresno State’s Ryan Mathews quickly climbing draft boards, there might not be a worthy back available at that spot, and GM A.J. Smith won’t reach for a position he knows could present value in the later rounds. From what we hear, Smith instead could have his sights set on a cornerback with the 28th selection. With Antonio Cromartie being shipped off to the Jets, the depth is shaky behind new starter Antoine Cason, and Smith has a history of drafting corners in the first round, having done so in ’06 and ’08. Two names being talked about for the Chargers are Devin McCourty of Rutgers and Boise State’s Kyle Wilson, both physical players who would fit into their scheme well.

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I don't want another first round CB, I'm fine if they take one in the 3rd-4th round, I know most teams play 3 CB at a time but a nickelback should not be a first rounder, there are more pressing needs, a starting RB, a starting (maybe in a year or two) NT and a starting RT, all other positions would be backups

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

4. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I can't wait to see this board (and all of it's "experts") explode, when AJ takes a CB in the 1st. :icon_rofl:

:popcorn:

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Just depends who's there at pick 28. Kyle wilson would be a good pick. Not sure about mmcorty. Any other cb I doubt we'd go after.

just gonna have to wait and see what player is still there at pick 28. One thing I do know. If you land a stud that makes everyone else better you did well with your first pick. So it wouldn't hurt to be open minded on the first two picks.

We may not even pick a rb until the 3rd round. And just go for studs the first two picks.

I still got a feeling we may have a trade on draft day if things present themselves.

6. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    The 1 thing I know,is....... I'd have better luck picking lottery numbers than figuring out what AJ will do. :icon_tease:

:icon_rofl:

7. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I'll take a first rounder who can help us out immediately please.

8. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    I brought up Wilson and McCourty back when they were high 2nd rounders on most decent sites big boards pre-combine. I question the depth on the current Chargers roster at CB and having an unproven player like Cason just be given the job by default.

Now this guy from PFW does a piece for Yahoo and the idea has a little merit. I got no problem with it at all. Whatever it takes, I guess.

I have always liked the idea of getting a CB in the first round, Wilson or McCourty would both be BPA value picks at 28, with there rise in draft staus from before the combine.

At 40, if say Mathews is taken at 28, Kareem Jackson would be a solid pick there also.

There is only one other CB who could go lower than 40 that IMO could be counted on for solid production in his first year and that is Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, but we will need to either get another pick low in the 2nd round or higher than our 3rd round pick to get him.

My favorite depth guy at CB is AJ Jefferson with our comp pick in the 5th.

• Like Like x 1
  9. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    I agree with most of this. I even picked McCorty in my mock a few weeks back, and got laughed at for it.

My favorite depth Corner in Myron Lewis from Vanderbilt, also in the 5th.

10. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    If we get a CB in the 1st round I will **** bricks!!! I'd rather have Cody than another CB. Plus we already have 2 more vets and Cason deserves a year to prove himself

11. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Cason is going to be great, but long term Jammer may eventually move to safety, then who gets paired with Cason? I highly doubt that scenario plays out in THIS draft, but 2011 draft and beyond it may become a consideration.

If Mathews is gone at #28 and Dan Williams...I still think Oline (Vlad Ducasse?) is more likely than CB.

Vasher and Strickland bring solid Vet leadership to our secondary...they will be fine for 2010, and hopefully beyond. If we had not made those moves, #28 would be a strong possibility.

RB and DT (unless Rivera changes to a 4-3) remain our biggest needs, but I really think AJ may pull the trigger on Taylor Mays if he falls.

12. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    One other positon that would improve us would be to land a super stud linebacker if he'd land to us at 28. We have 4 linebackers that really are supposed to do most of the tackling and hasseling of qb's and rb's.

13. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    personally I think that would be pretty damn stupid!

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Some of you are going to **** bricks if AJ does anything but draft Mathews at 28.

Better stock up on stool softener. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Mathews is going to be gone by 28...some of us think discussing him is a moot point anyway.

Cody round 1. Tate round 2. That will make me happy.

A CB in round one would be a chitty move equivalent to the Buster Davis and Sammy Davis 1st round AJ Smith flops.

16. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    BEEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I'm sick of all this bling that doesn't shine, fools gold, fuk that

FIX THE GODDAMN ****ING TRENCHES We got ***** *** Luis Castillo and 2 rent a scrubs. How the **** are we supposed to win anything with them 3 turds playing grabass and getting manhandled all day?

18. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    By the time 28 comes around there won't be any beef worth the pick. Usually by that time all the big "can't miss" linemen are gone. Then you have to consider that some just don't fit the 3-4 scheme.

So unless someone unexpected to falls to us, I think Mathews, Best, and Cody are the likely picks.

19. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Why doesn't he mention Vasher or Strictland? You would think their names would be thrown out there if this guy was really paying attention to the Chargers.
    I think with the signing of Vasher it would be kind of silly to draft a CB in the first round. I figure it's either going to be a RB or a DT in round one.
    If a CB gets picked up at all it would be in the later rounds.

20. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    All of the "1st round" O linemen will be gone by #28. :yes:
    Cody or a RB will still be there.

21. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Right Tackle

I'll be back with more details