1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers might miss Schottenheimer already

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, May 27, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :unsure: :tdown:

For the first time in recent memory, the draft-day decisions of the San Diego Chargers left more than a few observers scratching their heads. Although hardly anyone has called it a bad draft, words like "underwhelming" and "puzzling" seem to appear with frequency when discussing the Bolts' selections in 2007.

Their first-round pick, wide receiver Craig Davis from LSU, certainly filled a position of need. But with several talented and higher-rated wideouts still on the board -- names like USC's Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith, South Carolina's Sidney Rice and Ohio State's Anthony Gonzalez -- what made them settle on Davis? The answer, it seems, is that the Chargers' brass is high on his ability as a punt returner, and that pushed him above the other candidates. Nevertheless, the choice has been widely considered a reach.

In the second round, the Chargers selected safety Eric Weddle from Utah. At first glance there's nothing wrong with this pick. In fact, it's a solid one, as Weddle is a very talented player. But it's what the Chargers gave up to get him that has raised eyebrows. To move up for Weddle, the team gave Chicago its second-, third- and fifth-round pick in last month's draft and a third-rounder in 2008, all for a player who was pegged to go around the middle of the second round anyway. It's a hefty price to pay for someone who probably would have been on the board another 10 to 20 picks later.

Full Article

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Readers responce

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I bet the jerseys he shoplifts are silver and black...

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

at least they go to their death bed as faider fans !!

GO RAIDERS??? !!!

:icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

:lol:

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Anybody want to ask this guy if he thinks we found WMD in Iraq or if he knows where the yellow cake went? Maybe he's been eating the yellow snow.

:drool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Yea because AJ and Marty spoke all the time before getting fired. :lol:

Oh and when was the last time draft niks were "puzzled" or "underwhelmed" by one of AJ's drafts, maybe 2004? But it wasn't without getting bashed non-stop until we made the trade with the Giants. Shoot the only reason we got that much praise was because of what we got in the trade, the experts thought Rivers was a reach, and Igor as a reach.

Last year they said we reached big time for Cro and were saying how McNeil was a huge risk.

The year before they liked they bashed the Castillo pick and thought we reached for Jackson.

The only difference now than before, is now they're expecting AJ to do great, when before they weren't. Yet they don't remember that AJ had great drafts by going against what they thought was the best player.

• Like Like x 1
  7. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Sounds like alot of other teams fans are almost in fear of how well A.j. uses the draft. Can't blame them.:yes: :bolt:

8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Another "expert" who is pissed because we did not take the people "He" thought we should.

Golly drafting in the #30 slot, and not having an over whelming need at any position, and ever since AJ has had a legitimate time to evaluate talent, he has not missed yet. Weren’t there a lot of people who thought Marcus McNeil was a reach last year?

9. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    They thought Cro and McNeil was a reach.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So did some of us.

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    The entire base of this article becomes invalid once somebody realizes that the reason Marty and AJ didn't get along was because AJ drafted who he wanted and acquired who he wanted without consulting Marty.

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    That part is bullshiit. It was always a consensus vote on players drafted.

Rivers was a prime example how Marty wanted the kid and was on the squad to coach him in the whatever Bowl ...

AJ traded dudes like Lemon which chapped some asses...mine included.

13. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Yep .... the pundits bashed SD after every draft, yet lauded AJ's selections a year later. This will just be another in the continuum.

Just for the record. I don't miss Marty.

14. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    And it's no different this year.

I wanted Cro, McNeil I was worried about his back issues but I knew he was a 1st round talent if he stayed healthy.

I've already said this numerous times the media has bashed our drafts or bashed us on draft day ever since Butler and AJ took over (I didn't watch the draft before that, so it could of been more:icon_shrug: ).

It really isn't a draft without the Chargers getting bashed in some way. I honestly don't remember the last draft we weren't bashed before, during, or after the draft.

15. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Why?

The Dolfish loved Lemon so much that they traded for two QB's last year.

They drafted one this year. AND they are trying to trade for a 37 year old Green that played like crap before AND after his brain bashing.

Lemon fuggin' sucks. Get over it.

16. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Lemon isn't anything special, the guy can't even get the Starters gig on a team lacking a quality QB, and Cam coached him. If he doesn't get it now he never will imo.

I think Marty and AJ got along in 03 and 04, I think in 05 and 06 were mostly AJ's drafts. I'm sure he got some input from Marty's side from someone else but he was picking the guys for the most part.

I'm sure Marty's a good talent evaluator but I don't think he was the puppet master the article makes him out to be.

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think Lemon was a good QB. I thought Brees was even better. So long as we keep winning that is what is important.

Players come, players go. Respect what they do for us while they have the opportunity.

18. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I didn't dislike Lemon - as a third QB.

But this whining and pining for a dude that's never done **** in the NFL is mind boggling.

Oh ... and Brees can blow me. :lol:

19. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    If Lemon WASN'T a sack of ****, wouldn't Cam Cameron be the slightest bit interested in keeping him around? :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Pfft...

Cleo Lemon had the BEST WHEELS and ARM out of Rivers, Brees, and Flutie. There is no question about it.

Lemon was a pawn to say "fuc-u Marty".

Cleo Lemon is solid and was drawing raves from Fin-fan in the offseason. The dude has "it". I saw it and so did a few others.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Sorry dude...you and Shammy are full of shiit on this one. Cleo Lemon is a killer QB. He is a young Randall Cunningham without all the mileage. Before anyone gets all Randall bent, the kid had talent but was fuc't for coaching and head office.

22. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    How is it fans can see what execs for two different NFL franchises apparently can not?

23. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Many thought Cro was a gamble (due to injury and lack of experience), but I don't recall anyone calling our drafting him a reach. McNeil was also a gamble (stenosis of the spine) but had a
    1st round grade and was considered a bargain where we got him.

24. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Old article and they are morons

25. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Why did Cam draft the QB of the future in the 2nd round .... AND is trying to trade for another QB?

26. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I liked Lemon but he will never be a starter in this league. If he can find himself as the number 2 guy somewhere than he should consider himself lucky. At no point in time was he ever better than the 3rd QB for this team.

27. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The EXECS get caught up in the drama of the bullshiit. It is posturing using players as pawns and that is what happened in Lemons case.

AJ knew it would chap Marty's balls to get rid of a quality QB BUT AJ had Whitey in the draft wings and especially Billy Volek on his radar for trade or acquire by witchcraft. Volek was mentioned before in acquisition talks and Lemon was expendable to make a point.

Checkmate AJ.

28. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Exactly. It's not like this is his second season. The dude has had plenty of time to show what he can do and it's quite obvious that he hasn't demonstrated to anyone, hornblower aside, that he is a starting QB.

29. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Opposing teams will miss Marty in the playoffs that's about it.