1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers Mock Draft 1.0

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by szarmes, Feb 7, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Ok, this is how I would like it to go down and I am being realistic with who will be available when we draft.

Round 1 : Ryan Mathews, RB Fresno State. 5-11 220lbs
    Round 2 : Brandon Graham, DE Michigan. 6-1 263lbs
    Round 3 : Patrick Robinson, CB Florida State. 5-11 190lbs
    Round 4 : Danario Alexander, WR Missouri. 6-5 221lbs
    Round 5 : (I don't think we have a 5th round pick but if we do...) Joe Pawelek, ILB Baylor. 6-2 240lbs
    Round 6 : Adam Ulatoski, OT Texas. 6-8 310lbs
    Round 7 : Kade Weston, DT Georgia. 6-5 320

The later round picks many people have not heard of but they all have solid stats... Any thoughts?:icon_shrug:

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,593
    we don't have a sixth rounder

1. Dan Williams NT Tennessee
    2. Ben Tate RB Auburn
    3. George Selvie OLB USF
    4. Danario Alexander, WR Missouri.
    5. Alex Carrington DE Arkansas St
    7. James Williams OT Harvard

3. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Ben tate? You'd really go with him to replace LT? Getting Dan Williams would be great but it wouldn't be as great as getting a running game.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,593
    Just don't see us getting Matthews in the first, he won't be in the second and I thought Tate as a power back is a good compliment + Jacob Hester to a spread throwing offense

5. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Actually I just watched some videos and looked up his stats and he seems pretty solid and he also has some speed too. He reminds me of Cedric Benson... I would love to see how well he performs at the combine

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    I'm basing this off the ESPN projections for guys we'll have a legit shot at. This is without any trades of course.

1st : Ryan Mathews, RB Fresno. 5'11 220.
    2nd : Brandon Lang, 3-4 OLB Troy. 6'3 252.
    3rd : Jared Veldheer, OT Hillsdale. 6'8 321.
    4th : Cam Thomas, NT North Carolina. 6'3 330.
    5th : Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB Illinois. 6'0 200.
    6th : Ted Larsen, C North Carolina. 6'2 300
    7th : Marcus Easley, WR UCONN. 6'2 207.

My focus was toughness, intensity, work ethic and other intangibles, all things the Chargers sorely lack right now. Lang and Veldheer are the epidomy of NASTY, as is center Ted Larsen. I'd compare Lang to Lawrence Timmons, and Veldheer to Sebastian Volmer or Jared Gaither, both have amazing potential and versatility.

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    As Ant stated, we don't have a 6th. That went for Travis Johnson.

8. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37

You really think we need a OLB before a DT/DE? Idk it's a close call...

9. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,593
    Is there anyone else you could find that would be easier for Ray and I to announce on the podcast PLEASE? I had enough trouble with Manumaleuna, Mrzucowski and Naane. This is pushing it! :lol:

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    3rd : Jared Veldheer, OT Hillsdale. 6'8 321.

he's from here in Grand Rapids. And Hillsdale's nickname is the Chargers! Even the helmet is ours. How could we go wrong!

but, have we ever drafted a kid out of a small school in the midwest? We have some great small school talent but not that many have seen the NFL

:tup:

11. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    We should draft somebody whose name needs clicks and pops to pronounce.

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583

First
    I'd like to say that I believe we will trade Cromartie, and it would change the entire face of my mock draft. The reason I went RB over NT is because Jamal is coming back, LT most likely isn't.

Second, We are deep at DE in 2010. Castillo, Martin, Nguwabuo(sp?), Cesaire, Johnson, all with considerable amounts of experience. And if we drafted Cam Thomas like I suggested he could enter the rotation either as a NT or a DE.

Third, you can NEVER have too many pass rushers. AJ proved by taking English last year that he doesn't expect Merriman and/or Shaun Phillips to be around much longer. I'd also have my eye on George Selvie from USF who is another high intangible guy as well as explosive off the snap.

And to BuckMelanoma....I forgot we don't have a 6th, but we will get a comp pick for Igor and it'll probably be as high as a 5th.

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    The guy is a beast and his stock is rising fast. Getting him in the 3rd is somewhat optomistic for someone who is 6'8 320lbs, and runs the 40 in under 5 seconds. Measureables aside, scouts say he's a high intensity guy who blocks through the whistle.

14. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,593
    Randomly random question

Would it be thinkable to draft two running backs?

I think Sproles will be given a smaller tag and could leave. I don't know if Hester can be a RB (frankly I'm not happy with what we spent on him) and Tolbert's decent but idk if he's good enough.

Ideal draft in that line is somehow acquiring both Jahvid Best/CJ Spiller and Toby Gerhardt in the same draft. We get an extra pick for Cro/Sproles/whomever then it might happen.

But yeah just thought I'd throw that out there

15. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52
    There will be better players than Ryan Mathews at 28 in the draft... I hope we dont reach for anyone!

16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Not unthinkable at all. Worst case scenario is we lose both LT and Sproles and in that scenario I can see us going with Mathews at 28, and McCluster in the 2nd round. McCluster would come at a fraction of the price that Sproles would too, but obviously we'd like to avoid having an all rookie backfield if possible.

That said.....we could really use another 1st round pick to nab Dan Williams, and Cromartie isn't long for this town.:yes:

17. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,593
    I'm really not high on McCluster; too many injuries, not a good receiver, just seems to have too many elements missing from what made Sproles so dangerous. If I'm going to get a tiny back to add to the team I'd be MUCH happier with Best who is a better receiver, is faster and less injury prone.

assuming we lose Sproles (let's say second, don't think someone will give up a first) and hey let's say another second for Cromartie - both in the middle of the round, then we could go

1st Matthews
    2nd Best
    2nd Selvie
    2nd Wootton
    3rd Nose Tackle/OT

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    I love the tought process, but I've got 2 concerns.
    1. Wooton is a enigma. He's too small to be a 3-4 DE, and too slow to play 3-4 OLB, and despite his size scouts say he's not a very good defending the run or at overpowering OT's.
    2. Out of nowhere George Selvie's stock has slipped. With no explanation ESPN has him ranked as a late 4th rounder, and CBS as late 3rd rounder.

My safer projection of your scenario...
    1st Mathews RB
    2nd Best RB
    2nd Worilds OLB (or Ricky Sapp 3-4 OLB)
    2nd Veldheer OT
    3rd Thomas NT

But Selvie still has my eye, If I find out why he's slipped I'll let you know.

19. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    This would be a good idea if Sproles was gone getting both Mathews and Best.. It's too bad LT won't be around to develop our new RBs. I doubt Sproles will leave though, so if he stays, we could get Dan Williams in round 1 then trade up for Mathews in round 2. I think that Mathews will be our guy, not so much Dwyer. IMO Dwyer is out of shape and isn't all that he's made out to be.. Veldheer sounds like a solid pick and hopefully it will all work out so next year we could get to the big game!

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I thought we had a comp coming, but couldn't remember who/why .... Thanks for the reminder about Igor, matilack.

21. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    1. Dan Williams NT Tennessee
    2. Legarrette Blount RB Oregon
    3. George Selvie OLB USF
    4. Danario Alexander, WR Missouri.
    5. Alex Carrington DE Arkansas St
    7. James Williams OT Harvard

22. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Replace LT with LB... the redzone chant will still sound the same!!!!!! But i'd take LB in the 3rd round and get a better OLB in round 2.. this is only if Dan Williams is still available

23. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,593
    I can not logically see Blount going that early, I just can't. Best or Matthews maybe but Blount is a fourth rounder right now. He could end up much higher but given his reputation and lack of body of work he won't be a very high pick

24. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Yeh you're right. Punditoids were saying he could go in the second right after the senior bowl but I can't see him going earlier than the 5th.

I say take him with our 5th pick maybe. He would be a td machine. He is a guy that will do anything to get in the endzone every play!!!

Once he gets to the 5 he just always goes airborne and there's no way you're gonna stop that 250 behemoth back once he's 4 feet in the air!!

He just loves to punish defenders and has that intimidation factor!!

25. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    If he is a TD machine and runs like the behemoth you make him out to be, why wait til round 5 when he will be off of the draft board? The only reason he is projected so late is because of his punch. Before the season he was considered the top back in the nation!!! His attitude has changed and it doesnt look like he's lost a step and personally, I don't think we'll be able to get him past round 4. If we can get Dan Williams in round 1 and a good CB in round 2, a good OLB in round 3, then we should snag Blount in round 4 or else we won't have another shot at him... If Dan Williams isnt there, then I say we go for Ryan Mathews..

26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    I think Ryan Mathews can be a TD machine.:icon_shrug: When you watch this video, try to notice how often is he brought down by 1 man.....

Almost never!
    He has a great combo of size, speed, agility, balance, and vision. The defenders flat out look overwhelmed, they have to dive at his ankles or try to wrangle him and hold on long enough for help to come. I'm sold, I want this guy at 28.

27. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    He would definitely go well with our offense too... He's got moves, power, speed, the whole shebang. IMO the most complete back in this draft and I am very glad that RB is 1 of our greatest needs making AJ more likely to draft him. I hope the Chargers interview him at the combine and realize what he could be in the NFL. I'd take this guy any day over Dwyer. I'd only take Spiller over him but that is impossible... MATHEWS, not TOMLINSON, will be on the back of our 21 jersey next year!!

• Like Like x 1
  28. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Blount reminds me alot of good old natrone means though only taller and slightly heavier...

29. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    1. Jerry Hughes OLB
    2. Ryan Matthews RB
    3. Alex Carrington DE
    4. Ed Dixon TE Oregon
    5. Texans pick
    6. Danny Batten OLB

I wasn't sure if we lost the 5th or 6th to the Texans, so I gave them the higher pick. I'm assuming something happens to Merriman or Phillips...so we draft Hughes to rotate in with English. Matthews in the 2nd, Carrington will help on the D-line, he was tearing it up at the Senior Bowl, Dixon replaces Manu...Danny Batten is perfect late round pick, and a Homer pick from me, as he's a south dakota state Jackrabbit. I want Defense more than anything... I think our O-line will be better just by staying healthy. Clary is fine...LT led the league two years ago when he took over for Olivea..Vasquez will only get better, and Hardwick just has to stay healthy. I actually think with Mruk and Dombo we have pretty good depth on the line.

30. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58

id love to pickup mattews but there is no way we get him at the end of the second!! NO WAY!