1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers' National Image

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AlCodaMD, Sep 23, 2006.

1. AlCodaMD

AlCodaMD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Hola guys,

I'm new to the forum, name's Alvin. Born and raised in Diego, but moved out to MI for medical school (so if anyone wants to post the games afterwards I would be indebted to ya).

Anyways, onto the discussion:
    We all do a lot of scouring of sporting news sites and their articles, looking for gems or info on our Chargers. I think it's frustrating that the national media only posts something on the Bolts when Steve Foley gets shot, or Marty and AJ have another lover's tiff. I understand that people in New York may not give a flying you-know-what about the Chargers, but by ignoring us, isn't that a self fulfilling prophecy. Douchebags like Cris Carter talking about how he doesn't believe the Chargers will not have a better record than last year, when any knowledgable, rational person knows that we've got pretty much the same team, but with a supremely easier schedule. I mean, I'm beating a dead horse, but how much do we need to do to stop being a team that people are weary to call good because they're afraid they'll be wrong. I mean they'd rather predict we lose, and then after a win, call it a fluke, than vice-versa.

I want a Chargers national bandwagon dammit!

Any thoughts?

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    If you want Knowledgeable AND Rational, you may be disappointed, cuz we eat our young here :icon_eek: :icon_mrgreen: ...that said, Welcome Doc!!:) :tup: :icon_toast:

3. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Welcome to the the zoo here at Bolttalk.:icon_mrgreen:

We won't bite much.:icon_wink: :icon_mrgreen: :lol:

So have fun here at the forums.:icon_toast: :icon_banana:

4. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Welcome to bolttalk. Now go home.

Juuuuust kidding.

There's only one way for the Bolts to get the kind of national props we want. We all know what that is.

5. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Rings and the Lombardi trophy that is the only way.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,890
    Welcome to the jungle man

Most of us kinda accept that the national media has no idea San Diego exists let alone that there are two damned good teams here (Pads and Chargers). For EsPN etc. san Diego is basically a bay of Anaheim, covered by water. The more hte teams win, its assumes the more attention we will get and we have recieved more praise from guys like salisbury and peter king but its slow coming. Just gotta live with it.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,476
    Welcome to the forums of the most underrated team in the NFL. Were like the Rodney Dangerfield team of the NFL. "I cant get no respect." lol

Its gonna get ugly here buddy.:tup:

8. soldout96

soldout96 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    in the twenty-seven years that i have been a charger fan, national "respect" has never been given to our team. the respect given to them is at a fan level. even when they made it to the super bowl, they were labled as a fluke. man, i can't even recall the odds for that game, but they were outrageous. really demeaning. that team that made it to the SB had alot of heart. i believe this years team is the most talented we have ever had. along with that i believe they have the "heart' also. this is our year. we've waited along time for this. this team has MY respect as always. chargers for life!:yes:

9. AthensPhilipRiversFan

AthensPhilipRiversFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +331
    bolts are highlyyyyyyyyyyyyy respected....

here in Athens, Alabama :icon_tease:

10. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Sweet Alabama!

Your boy is doing real good out West. Lets keep that thunder rolling.

• Like Like x 1
  11. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    First of all welcome!

Second of all attention is overrated! Give me the glory and keep the props.

12. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Sports is nothing without recognition. If the Chargers won a Superbowl and no one was there to react to it, would we care?

The whole point is that your team wins props for your community and their fanbase, and that you vicariously bask in the glory your team has. It's hard to "bask" in darkness. So I'd say that, yes, it does matter what other people say about us...but only when the season's over. At this point in the season I really don't care all that much.

You better believe when the Bolts win the Superbowl I'll be taking a few days off to drink it all in--national news, ESPN, NFLN, parades, any and every internet sports site and blog, every other fan forum, radio--everything. It'll be better than any drug...

13. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    While I totally respect where you are coming from I don't think I could possibly disagree with you more. Bit I suppose it's a matter of personality and I know that I (as usual) will belong to the minority here. But seriously... there will ALWAYS be doubters. We could win the superbowl and spend the next season hearing about how we bought the refs. I will take a victory for the hometeam over every analyst in the free world telling me how good we are. But like I said, I'm sure it's all personality, but I'd rather just know that we're good then have to a give a rats a$$ about anyone else's opinion.

14. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    It would be impossible to win a superbowl and not get "good" recognition. And even if it was accompanied by bad recognition, at least everyone else cares. They care enough to get pissed if the refs gave you the game, or be delighted if they decided to root for the bolts in lieue of their own team who wasn't in the postseason.

It's the collective yawn that I'm talking about. People care about the superbowl, and if they didn't it just wouldn't be significant. Hell, San Diego won several MISL championships in indoor soccer, but only that tiny segment of soccer fans actually cared.

Look at it this way: If 22 guys meet on a high school field for a pickup game and one team dominates the other, does anyone care other than the 22 guys who played?

No.

It's the hype that makes it relevant. Like I said, if no one is watching, who cares? Tell me you wouldn't get chills down your spine watching the media coverage of Marty holding up a Lombardi trophy. If no one else around the country cared (in a good way or a bad way) you're saying it would be just as special? The whole point of the Superbowl is that everyone who is a fan of the NFL (and even people who are just bandwagoners) knows what the ultimate prize is.

15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    With this at least we are in agreement!

16. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    The Chargers get more coverage now than they have in years because of LT. But because we went a decade without winning anything, nobody really has any faith in our team. But hey, if the Bungels can get it together and gain some respect, then anythings possible.

17. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    The chargers keep winning and all us forum members will probably be hasseld by the media where ever we go cause the chargers will be media "hot".

18. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,727
    [bobhope]"Doctor. Doctor. Glad I'm not sick!"[/bobhope]

Welocme to the board and to hell with the National Media.

19. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    We have an LT on offense and an LT on defense. :bolt: