1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers' next opponent: Scouting the Jets

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By UNION-TRIBUNE
    Sunday, January 10, 2010

In this era of pass-happy teams, the New York Jets are a throwback to the days when the formula for winning was running the ball and playing defense – two things these Jets do extremely well. They ranked No. 1 in the NFL in six major statistical categories – rushing yards; fewest total yards allowed, passing yards allowed, first downs allowed, third-down conversion percentage allowed and points allowed.

While the Chargers have scored at least 20 points in 22 consecutive games, just five teams scored more than 17 points against the Jets this season, none in the last seven games, when their opponents combined for just 61 points (8.7 per game). For the season, including Saturday’s playoff win over Cincinnati, the Jets gave up 14.7 points a game – or almost exactly half what the Chargers scored (28.4 average). Cornerback Darrelle Revis had six INTs and is the favorite to be named NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

New York’s offense ranked 20th in total yards and 17th in points, with Thomas Jones rushing for more than 1,400 yards and the rest of the team combining for almost that many. Rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez threw 20 INTs and ranked near the bottom of the league in most categories, but he was 12-of-15 in his playoff debut.

Last meeting
    The teams played at Qualcomm Stadium on a Monday night in Week 3 of the 2008 season and the Chargers opened a 31-14 halftime lead en route to a 48-29 victory.

Series history
    The Chargers also beat the Jets in New Jersey in 2005 and hold a 19-12-1 series advantage, including 12-7 in California. The Jets won three straight games at Qualcomm Stadium before the Chargers’ victory in 2008.

Playoff history
    Few Chargers fans will forget the only postseason meeting between the teams. It happened after the 2004 season and the visiting Jets shocked the favored Chargers 20-17 in overtime. Chad Pennington threw two TD passes as the Jets took a 17-7 lead into the fourth quarter. The Chargers forced overtime on a TD pass by Drew Brees with 11 seconds left, but Nate Kaeding missed a 40-yard field goal in the overtime before Doug Brien converted a 28-yard field goal for the Jets after 14:55 of extra time.

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers will host Jets next Sunday

Chargers.com
    Casey Pearce
    Posted Jan 10, 2010

The Jets victory Saturday in Cincinnati combined with Baltimore’s win at New England Sunday means New York will travel to San Diego next Sunday to face the Chargers in the Divisional round of the playoffs.

The NFL’s top-ranked defense and number one rushing attack is coming to San Diego.

New York’s victory over the Bengals Saturday combined with Baltimore’s win at New England means the fifth-seeded Jets will travel to Qualcomm Stadium next weekend to play the Chargers in the Divisional round of the playoffs.

The Jets led the NFL in scoring defense, allowing just 14.8 points per game. Rex Ryan’s team was first against the pass (153.7 yards per game) and eighth against the run this season.

“They’re a really good team that’s played really good football the past few weeks,” Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers[​IMG] said. “Their defense presents a great challenge. It ought to be a heck of a game.”

New York also led the league in rushing offense (172.2 ypg). Aided by a 12-of015 performance by rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez, they rushed for 171 Saturday against the Bengals, including a 135-yard performance by rookie Shonn Greene. Over the last 11 weeks of the regular season, the Chargers ranked 12th against the run, giving up 107.5 yards per game while facing some of the league’s elite runners. San Diego’s defense knows they’ll have to perform well against the two-headed monster of Greene and Thomas Jones.

“I think we’ve had some challenges this year,” defense end Luis Castillo[​IMG] said. “The Raiders are typically a good running team. We played Baltimore early in the year and that was a challenge. We’ve been tested lately too. We got to face Chris Johnson a few weeks ago and Cedric Benson, who was playing extremely well at the time. The Jets are so good at what they do and it’s going to be a heck of a challenge.”

The Chargers have won their last two meetings against the Jets, a 48-29 victory in 2008 and a 31-26 victory at the Meadowlands in 2005. Sunday’s game will be a rematch of a 2004 AFC Wild Card game, a contest that New York won in overtime

3. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Is Revis REALLY the favorite for Defensive Player of the Year?

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I wish that I could forget!:lol:

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I wish you could as well. :icon_tease:

6. DiegoDub

DiegoDub BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    and who have those teams been in the last 7 games besides a 2nd string Colts team and a bunch of tired Bungles?? Both the Pats & Fins put up 30 pts this year against them.

Preparation will be key and our team knows it...they will be working hard all week...just one game at a time!!!

:abq2:

7. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    And the Chargers went 14-2 with the best running game, better than the Jets and a defense that put a lot more pressure and lost to an weakened Pats team.

The SB last year were the Steelers who won by passing and the Cardinals who had the worst running game and a bad defense against the run.

Watch the Cardinal Packers game. Eventually defenses make mistakes. If you have a good offense you can take advantage of it. Jets don't have a good offense. Passing for 10 times with no pressure and minimal yards isn't a high powered offense.

8. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    It will be no secret that the Jets will try to shorten the game. It would be imperative for the Chargers to get off to a fast start.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Anyone remember a recent game vs. a certain team with a 2,000 yard rusher?

Have you looked lately at Rivers QB rating when teams blitz?

Bring it, Fat Bastard. :tup:

10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I'm so glad this arrogant, bloated douche isn't the coach of our team.

In the last two postseasons Rivers has faced the #1 pass D (08 Steelers) and #2 pass D (07 Colts), and he lit up both of them.

As for the Bolts D, they give up alot of garbage yards between the 20s, but they man up when it counts.

11. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I kinda like him. :icon_shrug:

12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    He's too much bluster for my tastes. I don't mind a confident, expressive coach, but he just seems like he's compensating for something. Like all of the Ryans, he's like an immature, emotionally retarded egomaniac who has to make everything about him.

13. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    He's kinda like the Philip Rivers of coaches. Easy to hate when he's not on your team. :lol:

14. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I could not disagree more. Rivers does not disrespect teammates and pump himself up to the media. He might like to jaw with an opponent from time to time, but that's not the same thing as Ryan pounding his chest (perhaps beating his jiggling man boobs would be a better description) every time he steps up to a podium.

15. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I find it interesting that the words you use to describe Ryan and very similar to the words I often hear non Charger fans use to describe Philip Rivers. Punk, loudmouth, cocky, arrogant. That's how our boy is perceived by most.

16. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Not to mention he is drumming up "good controvery" in the NY area to help sell tickets next year for the new stadium. I still believe alot of what he does is marketing.

17. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    That might be the perception of Rivers, but no one that knows him would ever describe him that way, except for maybe Jay Cutler :lol:. Ryan, on the other hand, proudly admits to being a cocky loudmouth.

One other thing, people's perceptions of Rivers as an arrogant punk are based on a few video clips (with no audio) that are interpreted a certain way. Ryan is considered an arrogant punk because of verifiable quotes he has made to the media that don't require nearly as much interpretation.

18. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I think a lot of it comes down to media spin. A lot of Rivers reputation comes from the Cutler feud. ESPN bent over backwards trying to make Cutler look like the good guy in that whole fiasco. I think the media tries to make Ryan out to be a baffoon. Of course, he helps them out with his sound bytes.

19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The thing that cracks me up is that when the Jets win, the media says Ryan's confidence is making the team believe in themselves. When the Jets lose, they say Ryan is a cocky windbag who is in over his head.

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Yeah, they be a fickle bunch at best...

21. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,805
    I actually like Rex Ryan, I think his outspoken nature will bite him in the *** once in awhile but I don't see him as disrespecting his opponents so much as a believer in his own squad. :icon_shrug:

Ultimately, I believe our team is the more complete team with the better chance to win. The Jets have not had to face an offense like ours and many people underestimate the positive strides our defense has taken since the early part of the season. Nothing any Jets fan, player, coach or media pundit says can change my mind or shake my faith.

22. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
  23. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    How many of you were wanting AJ to hire Rex Ryan after Marty was canned?

24. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    The Jets stats remind me a lot of the 2006 Bolts

and we ALL remember how that ended

:icon_evil:

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'll admit that he was on my short list.

26. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    So was I. I have to say that I would not have been wrong about him. I still like him. :lol:

27. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Jits are gonna die at the hands of the chargers sunday.:yes:

28. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Me. :yes:

29. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I like both the steady, resolute demeanor of Norv and the jovial, passionate nature of Ryan, as both style have clearly earned the respect of their respective teams.

You want to see coaches who I would not want? Look no further than McDumbass, Man-genie, and coaches who routinely think they are the most important person in the organization.

30. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    me, of the candidates that where interviewed this was my list

1) Ryan
    2) Singletarry
    3) Rivera

28373) Norv :unsure:

(good thing I was wrong :lol:, I was also wrong wanting Mike Williams and Winston Justice in the draft :icon_eek: )