1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers not expected to chase star players

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Mar 12, 2012.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012...cy/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

They began the week with $14.9 million in cap space. That number will climb to about $20 million with the expected release of tackle Marcus McNeill, a move that should come no later than Thursday.
    The Chargers will also announce today their tender plans for two restricted free agents, tackle Brandyn Dombrowski and tight end Kory Sperry. If either is not tendered, he’ll join the pool of unrestricted free agents.
    The team has already informed its exclusive rights free agents, kick returner Richard Goodman and long snapper Mike Windt, they will return next season.
    Then there’s the case of wide receiver.
    Nothing has changed between the Chargers and Vincent Jackson. He will field interest from outside teams while the Chargers sit prepared with their own offer. The two sides will regroup this week, and Jackson will weigh his options.
    Insanity - Noun - Trying the same thing again and expecting a different result

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    I'm shocked!!!.......... shocked I say!!! :rolleyes:

3. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I cant beleive it.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Not a snowballs chance in hell we retain VJ.

And again I don't understand the cap projection, how do we only get 5M for cutting a 10.7M dollar player?

5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Best replacements for VJ....?

Mike Wallace - If we feel like giving up our 1st round pick...not a chance.
    Meachem - Does he really have #1 upside? Maybe.
    Colston - High injury risk, and we have enough of those guys.
    Manningham - Again not sure he can be anymore than a complimentary reciever.
    Wayne - 33yrs old, this is a 1yr bandaide type signing.
    Lloyd - Character issues, but in a strange way I think he fits our offense better than every other guy here.

All these players have warts, but past this point its hard to think of any suitable replacement.

Pierre Garcon
    Mike Sims-Walker
    Braylon Edwards
    Roy Williams
    Jerome Simpson
    Eddie Royal

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Can someone please remind me why we kept AJ?

• Like Like x 1
  7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Because we played "really hard for Norv" in a meaningless game.

And if you fire AJ you virtually have to fire Norv, because any new GM will want to fire him anyway.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I was being facetious.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    We gave him a signing bonus, prorated the cap hit, and have only accounted thus far for 2 of the prorated years of cap-hits - which with his release accelerate and compound into a single-year dead money hit.

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556

Then why was everyone saying we'd get 10.5 mil for releasing him? :confused: Confused. I don't understand the cap stuff for **** I guess.

And again I point to this site....http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-diego-chargers/cap-hit/ ......which says we are already 19M below the cap. It must not be up to date, or its missing a few players.

11. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Whether you guys acknowledge it or not AJ and Norv have had their share of success as well. I mean it's all relative and we are talking about the chargers who have never really had it together anyways. There would have been no chance this team could have canned both and had a productive season in my opinion. Look at the majority hires made by other teams a lot of them had to reach for college coaches and coordinators none to me were really impressive.

There were plenty of flashes of greatness this last season along with the utter stupidity and garbage. I think they can put the players in a position to win; it comes down to the players making the plays too

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    One... spotrac doesn't have full access to full contracts the way the NFLPA site does. I don't have the full membership to that site, and my buddy that did hasn't returned my recent emails. Basically there are a fair amount of LTBE's, UTBE's, escalators, etc. in contracts that sites like spotrac and Rotoworld never have a chance to fully see (it's why the Rams, who spotrac was projecting to be well under the cap were actually over the cap and have had to move quickly to make releases - because of an LTBE clause in Chris Long's contract which triggered and effectively rocketed his 2012 pay upwards of $10.0 million.

Sports writers are not mathematicians or even particularly great accountants/financiers. And their fact checkers, quite frankly, are less concerned about checking numbers unless they're numbers that could potentially get them sued for libel; no one is going to sue the UT or any other paper/news outlet for misrepresenting a football team's available cap room. For the record... as always with the media, you have to look at the exact word choices they used. Acee and the UT constantly stated we'd "save" $10.5 million by cutting McNeill, not that we'd "gain" that amount in available cap. His signing bonus has already been paid, so yes... Dean and the team save McNeill's $10.5 million salary if he's not on the roster to collect game checks. Cap math and actual accounting math are substantially different.

13. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    I like what Michael Lombardi wrote regarding the free agent period:

14. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    I'd like to know exactly what those were Mondo ..............seriously, Greatness in an 8/8 season ?

AJ hasn't made a decent draft pick in 8 years mate, what do we give him before he deserves the flick ?

10 maybe ?

15. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I haven't seen any greatness in the past few seasons. Greatness doesn't go into that Detroit game w/ the division there for the taking and sh!t the bed.

16. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    But then again this whole front office hasn't lied to us once again, "Were going to make a big splash in free agency." - MY A$$..

17. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Don't forget that Manningham and Meacham are both going to cost 1/2 of VJ, and Colston and Lloyd are probably looking for the same contract Jackson is.

Bottom line, Smitty screwed the pooch by failing to negotiate a long-term contract in 2009.

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I have never been on the free agent bandwagon, it just seems like a slap in the face to the guys who grew with the team.

19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Neither have I, but we're about to lose a star player who grew with this team. And we've missed the playoffs 2 years in a row it'd be nice not to take another step backwards.

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Continuity...

sounds a lot like something you would take xlax for....

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    The only problem is the Lame Duck, situation at GM and HC. Signing high profile players now only to change the guard next year is counter productive. Deano, AJ, ED and Norv have brought this team to where it's at and one magic bullet for the hopes of a winning season doesn't excite me.

22. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    This is a real departure from them making a big splash every year! [\end sarcasm]

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Hahaha you don't need to tell me, this is where the decision to keep Norv and AJ is already burning us.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350

I believe it will only take a playoff appearance to keep these two employed.

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    The only problem is, gee whiz, they're wasting my life away!

26. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I think chargers not expected to chase star players translates to star players don't want to play for Norv Turner.

We need to get rid of the guy and AJ.. but then again who is gonna stick around once those two are gone and this team is in a rebuilding mode.

We honestly were a pass rusher and an impact SS (not pro-bowler or star SS) away from getting to the playoffs. We should be looking at Mario Williams, but somehow were only at $20-21M under the cap once McNeil is gone so thats a definite no. Atleast strive for VJ who I will think will take a 3 year/$27-30M deal considering he's said he'll take a minimum of 3 years and said he will take less money to stay in SD. So if you can get him to $9-9.5-10M i think he'll take it despite offers from other teams at $11M-$14M

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It also comes down to putting quality players on the field and coming up with a solid game plan. Like it or not, players can perform perfect, but if the players are just not very good or the game plan sucks, they will fail. I am not saying it is all AJ and Norv, but they have their fair share in the blame

28. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I bet they would do something if they had a new stadium, otherwise its the same old song and dance! What a crock of S***

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Makes me long for the days when AJ would re-sign players on the cheap (reletive) early in their career instead of waiting till they hit free agency and the market can drive up the price. Imagine if VJ would have been signed to a similar deal as Roddy White did in 09, 6 years $50mil. We wouldn't have these issues and VJ would be under contract. We should have done the same thing with Weddle also. Remember when we re-signed Jammer, Hardwick, and Phillips when they still had a couple years left on their deals, and did so for what were very reasonable deals? I miss those days

30. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I want a Super Bowl win anything else is totally unacceptable

• Like Like x 2