1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers notebook: Family tragedy

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Nov 3, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Jun 29, 2009
    Source: <a href="http://www.pe.com/sports/football/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_chargers_notes_03.21e6086a.html" target="_blank">Press-Enterprise</a>

By Jim Alexander

SAN DIEGO - Chargers linebacker Randall Godfrey has been given a leave of absence following the shooting death of his sister Tuesday in Valdosta, Ga.

Deidre Miller, 29, was found fatally shot in her wrecked car following a chase by her former boyfriend.

Sheriff's detective Wanda Edwards told The Associated Press that Miller may have been shot before the chase, which ended when her car ran into a clump of trees two houses from her home. Authorities were searching for Julonda Lecedrick Clayton, 28, of Jacksonville, Fla., after Miller's 4-year-old son told daycare workers Clayton shot his mom.

"He's such a great person, and I hate to see something like that happen to him," said linebacker Shawne Merriman, who has grown close to Godfrey. "When I talked to him, I could barely speak, I was hurting so bad."

Not Enough Work

Somehow, you get the impression LaDainian Tomlinson and offensive coordinator Cam Cameron will have another heart-to-heart chat before Sunday's game against the Jets in East Rutherford, N. J.

Tomlinson has been held to less than 100 yards and without a touchdown for two straight games. Last Sunday against Kansas City he had eight carries through the first three quarters, just one in the third.

"Yeah ... yeah, I was surprised," Tomlinson said Wednesday, clearly unsettled by the line of questioning.

Asked if he'd already talked to Cameron, he said: "No. What can I say? I just work here."

Tomlinson made a similar statement after the first two weeks of the season, when he was held to a combined 124 yards on 38 carries. In Week 3, against the Giants, he gained 192 yards on 21 carries, added six catches for 28 yards, scored three touchdowns and passed for a fourth.

Two lost fumbles the past two weeks represent a disturbing trend for receiver Reche Caldwell.

"He's going to be given another opportunity," Coach Mary Schottenheimer said. "But I have my limits, and we are fast approaching my limits in that regard.

"It's just a matter of concentration. The biggest problem Reche Caldwell has is that he thinks he's back in high school in Tampa and he can run all over the field. The problem is that he's cutting back and forth, and while he's doing it there's three or four guys behind him who can run as fast as he can and are chasing him, and all of a sudden they surprise him. He needs to pick a course and (stay) with it."

Injury Update

Among the Chargers listed as questionable on the midweek injury report are cornerback Drayton Florence (ankle), linebacker Steve Foley (abdominal strain), offensive linemen Mike Goff (ankle), Nick Hardwick (ankle) and Romen Oben (foot), safety Terrence Kiel (ankle/leg) and kicker Nate Kaeding (back).

Of those, only Florence practiced Wednesday.