1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers notify Marcus McNeill and Vincent Jackson of June 15 tender drops

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Jun 8, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Chargers notify Marcus McNeill and Vincent Jackson of June 15 tender drops

Posted by Mike Florio on June 7, 2010 11:09 PM ET
    We've mentioned a time or two the twist in restricted free agency that, as to some restricted free agents, allows a dramatic drop in their tenders offers as of June 15.

On that date, the offer extended on or before March 4 can be dropped to 110 percent of the player's 2009 salary.

For some players, the decrease is negligible. For others, the difference becomes dramatic.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the the Chargers have informed two of their unsigned restricted free agents -- left tackle Marcus McNeill and receiver Vincent Jackson -- that their tenders will drop as of June 15.

Per Acee, Jackson's tender offer will plummet from $3.268 million to $583,000. McNeill's salary would fall from $3.168 million to $600,000.

It's our current understanding that McNeill is inclined to sign his tender and then hold out, since the daily fines would be dwarfed by the $2.568 million in salary he'll be losing if he doesn't sign by June 15. As we recently mentioned, however, McNeill would lose a year of service if he fails while under contract to report for training camp by August 10, 30 days before the start of the regular season.

So with McNeill currently having only four years of service, he'd still have only four years in 2011 -- and he'd be back where he is right now, as a restricted free agent. (Then again, if the new CBA keeps eligibility for unrestricted free agency at six years, it won't matter.)

As to Jackson, don't be shocked if he refuses to sign the tender and then sits out into the regular season, possibly until Week 10 and possibly for the entire year.

If anyone thinks that a greatly reduced or nonexistent season for Jackson would harm his value for 2011, consider this -- Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford, Oklahoma tight end Jermaine Gresham, and Oklahoma State Dez Bryant played greatly reduced or nonexistent seasons in 2009, and each became first-round draft picks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-and-vincent-jackson-of-june-15-tender-drops/

2. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    I am out of touch........What's going on with Merriman?

3. seau55

seau55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    He still has not signed his tender either, but as i understand it he would not take a dramatic pay cut like Jackson or Mcneil if he hasnt signed by June 15th

4. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    This whole thing confuses me. Why didn't they sign the tender in the first place? Are they expecting a trade? :icon_shrug:

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Pissing match - happening all over the league.

Merriman isn't really affected as his tender is right at the 110% amount already. VJ & Mac stand to lose quite a bit of cash.

They should know by now that AJ isn't likely to blink. Is this going to come across as antagonistic? Perhaps - but their holdout could be viewed in the same light. My feeling is that nothing much towards an extension is going to be accomplished as long as the new CBA is unknown. The best option for most players is to come in & play your *** off for a new contract going forward. However, if a guy gets injured while doing that, it could screw him towards getting a new deal. That's certainly a factor in the players' & agents' minds.

One thing I know - there are quite a few fans blowing off the value that both Mac & VJ add to this team, saying that they can be fairly easily replaced. To that I say BS. I'm not endorsing just handing out a new contract with the future being unknown, but I also don't think that we can blindly believe that this team will be as good w/o those 2. Cooler heads need to prevail on this one.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

This confuses me.

How can the writer compare college players coming into the draft to 4 or 5 year starters in the nfl?

7. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    hard to imagine they would turn down several million just to hope they sign bigger contracts after they sit out.

8. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    That is what has me confused. Since they are restricted, isn't this year just like any other? They sign the original tender guaranteeing a 10% increase, then enter normal contract negotiations next season. What advantage is it to the player to not sign the tender and cause all this drama? They still are at the mercy of the team no matter what, so why not take the money? Maybe I am simple, but this makes no sense to me.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    They're upset that they're RFA's instead of UFA's. They want to pursue a new contract as if there is still a CBA in place.

What the players are doing is not helping their bargaining position - more sending a message of displeasure over no CBA to the owners. I can't see how this stance helps their financial cause nor do I think sitting out will put enough pressure on the owners to gain much, if any, concessions toward a new agreement.

Again - pissing match. The players want to grab that all-important second contract, the owners want to play wait & see before making that kind of commitment.

10. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    The writer is Mike Florio. If he would stop adding his nonsensical gibberish into every piece PFT would be a much better site. Now that PFT has been bought out by NBC perhaps it will force better reporting. <spit>

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556

I expect VJack to miss the first couple games, I've already made peace with that.

But 10 weeks is long time not to work with Rivers, and he wouldn't exactly be given a warm reception in the locker room from the guys who have been busting their *** to keep the show running.

12. txcharger

txcharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
  13. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Pissing contests are happening all over the league. Take the case of the Colts and GM Bill Polian:

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/Th...lian_no_new_deals_for_wayne,_mathis_this_year

The bolded part applies to AJ Smith and the Chargers in dealings with VJ, McNeill, Floyd, and Merriman.

14. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
  15. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    The logic still applies. VJ, McNeill, and Merriman, want large long-term contracts. NOW.

AJ isn't going to give them one right now, because he doesn't know how they will impact any future salary cap in a new CBA.

The worst thing that could happen is AJ gives them their long term deals, the new CBA happens, and then, blam! The Chargers are in cap hell because the salary cap isn't as high as he thought.

16. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Whatever the outlook of a new CBA a hold out of any kind for these two players is a very ominous situation for the Chargers!

Two of our most important pieces on Offence might not be there for "who-knows-how-long" and if the chargers are to be really make it to the superbowl this year, we need all-hands-on-deck!

I don't know what good comes from playing hardball now with these players and then caving in when the team is struggling through the first 2-5 games and paying them anyway!

Give them what they deserve in good faith and worry about the Salary cap later!

17. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I trust AJ... :nana_dance:

18. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    :yes: fo sho

• Like Like x 1
  19. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I would think the way things are in the nfl now they'd try to get what they can now. Who knows whats coming after this year. Either a lockout, strike or player limit on salarys. All very limiting to players wanting huge 2nd contracts. Which i'm guessing is why merriman , jackson, and mcneil and their agents are trying as best they can to try and get big contracts now.

20. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    wow, I'm feeling really sorry for these poor guys..... only making 3+ million for next season. I'm crying all over myself.

Maybe AJ should trade their greedy, sorry butts to St. Louis for some draft choices. See how they like THEM apples.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Over the years I have started to become more understanding of the players view point when holding out. Not 100% sympathetic, just not on the team's side 100% anymore. The player can be cut at any time and there are dozens of examples of injuries or old age (30!) ending a career. So I understand a middle ground between playing by the rules of the CBA/contracts and looking out for yourself.

That being said, I don't see how either VJ or McNeil passes on $2.5 million. With a possible lockout next year, how do you pass on that kind of money? I would think they will sign before the deadline.

22. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    AJ actually gave these 4 RFAs (Floyd, VJ, McNeill, Merriman) higher tenders then he had to, but decided to make it the max tender he could without breaking the bank.

23. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Passing on money isn't what they're doing. They want what's right!
    I'm on the players side. :yes:

The new CBA will have to take into account what happened at the end of the old one, or it will not be signed. :yes:

24. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I'm not. With the exception of Merriman, each player was given a tender that was 500% what their 2009 salary was, and AJ didn't have to give them that much. He could have given them a much lower tender originally.

25. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I"m guessing the tendered players know this is thier last chance to get huge 2nd contracts. I'm just guessing but there will be limits to contracts in the future after the the new players/owners contract is settled. Which might not be for a while. I can see both sides players and owners being very stubborn on what they deem a fair new contract between them. Which means i'm really guessing there will be a lockout/strike after this season.

Which will make this season very interesting. I wonder how that will affect the game this year.

26. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Actually, the new CBA will probably include a rookie cap which would free up more money for veteran players.

27. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    The players have a union. The union agreed to this deal. If the players dont like it they should go to their union reps and try to get something done. The Chargers and AJ are playing by the rules and looking forward to the future as they have done with every other contract they have done. What do the players have as leverage in this situation? I dont see much. Thye have no real choice but I dont blame them for their position. Thye have to do what they need to do. This should get real interesting after June 15th if these RFA dont sign. If they hold out will they still get their max?

28. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Chargers Pro Bowlers plan to hold out
    Chargers Pro Bowlers plan to hold out

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 9, 2010 11:50 AM ET
    The simmering contract situations surrounding Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson and left tackle Marcus McNeill look ready to boil.

We mentioned a report from Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune earlier this week that both players that the players are prepared to sit out into training camp and beyond. ESPN's Adam Schefter writes that is precisely their plan.

Both players do not plan to report for the start of training camp and Jackson especially appears to be readying for a long holdout that could extend into the season. We heard McNeill may sign his tender before holding out, but Schefter writes that both players plan to stay unsigned for a long time.

We don't doubt the serious intent of both players, but this is typically tough talk for June. If we hit late August, and both players are still absent, then we'll know they are serious.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/09/chargers-pro-bowlers-plan-to-hold-out/

29. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
  30. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Another reason why they should frontload the contracts and lock these guys up for 5+ years.