1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers now have the easiest road

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by 65TossPowerTrap, Nov 30, 2010.

1. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    All year I have said that the AFC West is going to be a crazy division. Since the Chiefs jumped out to an early lead and have had one of the easiest schedules in football, I have stated that they had the clearest path to the playoffs by winning the division. The Charger resurgence however has made that a more difficult path.

I have made predictions at each quarter of the season, and though we aren't quite to the last quarter yet, I think we know a couple of things.

The Chiefs have great offensive balance and a very very young and inconsistent defense.

The Chargers have a phenomenal passing game and a strong defense trending up at the right time.

Now, given those facts, I believe that the Chiefs will be favored in every game from here out except San Diego. I think they will handle the Broncos at home, the Titans at home, and the Rams at St Louis (mainly because a Chiefs Rams game in St Louis is basically a Chiefs home game. The Chiefs fans are MUCH louder...at the right times). The last game of the year with the Raiders is a question mark. The Chiefs should win, but they should have won in Oakland too. When it's the Raiders, the records and stats are meaningless. I have seen too many grossly inferior Raiders teams win in a last second field goal at Arrowhead to consider this a lock. So, I feel that the Chiefs stand a good chance to go 11-5 possibly 10-6 - a huge step forward in year two of a top to bottom franchise rebuild.

Now, as for San Diego. They have possibly the easiest remaining schedule in the league. That's not a knock, but a fact. They took care of their toughest games already. I am pretty sure they are not losing at home to Denver and they aren't losing to Cinci or San Fran. Their only real chances for losses are home games to Oakland and the Chiefs. The Chargers will be favored in both of these games, and quite frankly, should be. The only struggle for the Chargers is that they have no real margin for error, but, they're used to that. If they win out, they should win the division as they would hold the tie breaker over Kansas City.

In a strange twist, it is seeming more and more likely that Matt Cassel will be one of the (if not the first...I'd have to check) quarterback to lead two teams to 11-5 without making the playoffs with either of them.

Strangely though, a division which has been considered the worst in the AFC still has a real chance at sending two teams to the playoffs. If both the Chiefs and the Chargers finish at 11-5, a team like the Steelers or the Ravens could be squeezed out.

Still a lot of football to play. Two weeks from now will tell us a lot more. If the Chargers win, they're in. If the Chiefs pull one out, we still won't know who's in until after the Chiefs Raiders game week 17.

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    We will sweep the next 5 games to get to 11-5 and win the AFC West. That's my prediction. :abq2:

3. tunaman

tunaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Agree...the strength of schedule (or lack thereof) certainly favors the Bolts! I sincerely hope (and believe) that the November/December sweep is continuing!

4. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    One .. Game .. at .. a .. time .. !!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    I don't see any way...barring a total team-wide melt down, that the Chargers lose any more than one of the remaining games, and to be quite honest, they could likely win most of them even if their special teams returned to early year form. Of course, that'd be a bad way to go into the playoffs, but it must be nice having all phases of the game finally clicking for the easiest stretch of the schedule.

6. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    This wouldn't even be a topic of discussion had the special teams not F**KED us early on. Hell, just give back the Raiders game we lost with 2 blocked punts for a safety and a TD. We spotted them 9 F-N points.

My prediction is that if KC loses to Denver this week (highly unlikely), but if they do, KC is DONE. They won't recover to win the AFC West with the Chargers playing they way they are playing even with all their injuries on Offense. Chargers can go 4-1 (which is what I think they will do at WORST) and still win it if they tie with KC. Just as long as they win the division games, Chargers will get the tiebreaker.
    KC needs to go 4-1 down the stretch to have a legitimate shot at keeping themselves in first place.

7. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    COME ON DENVER !!!!!!!

8. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Denver handled 'em last time, they know what to do, have done so before.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Amen to all that.

My worry now is the trap game. San Francisco in 3 weeks scares me, because it'll be a Thursday Night game on a short week after an emotional VICTORY knocking off the Chiefs and taking sole possesion of the AFCW lead. Its the type of game where I can see any team lose focus, and find themselves magically down 17-7 at half.

10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The biggest reason the Chargers have the "easiest road": The Chargers only have to play the Chiefs, and the Chiefs have to play the Chargers. Who would you rather be?

11. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    I don't see the 49ers as a trap game. They are really not that good. They will play tough, but as long as our Special Teams doesn't fall apart, I really don't see them scoring more than 13 points if that.

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    We struggle against power running teams, Dixon is that. Ginn is explosive on STs. They have a mobile QB. They have a talented 3-4 defense with Willis, Lawson, Franklin, and Clements.....this team is not as bad as their record. Since their 0-5 start they've actually got some momentum.

13. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Nope. They also lost their top RB Frank Gore for the season. Yeah, they'll be tough, but no WAY we lose to that team, not with a young inexperienced QB Troy Smith. Not going to be a cakewalk, it never is, but no way we lose that game. We're running the table folks and winning the AFC West again. Just wondering if we will go beyond the first round. History shows we haven't done so well after, but we'll take it one step at a time. BRING ON THE RUCKIN FAIDERS!!!!

14. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    If the Chargers had to come to Arrowhead, I wouldn't be as concerned tbh. Even though the Chiefs have to go to San Diego, and will likely lose, that is not why they have the easiest road. I would rather play San Fran and Cinci than Tennessee and Saint Louis.

15. gsxr

gsxr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    SB bound as long as we keep the one game at a time thinking. Sacks and drops for losses on the D side. Gouging runs and passing champ on the O's. Solid ST. Win

16. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    wrong, Cinny the day after Christmas trumps any other game's degree of difficulty

17. Helmutt

Helmutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    One game at a time guys...one game at a time.

18. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    Cinci may be the worst team in the NFL. They have a coaching staff and player base that packed it in weeks ago. The only guys who are gonna play are the ones in contract years.

19. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    The Chargers will win the Cincinnati game because I'm going to be there.

20. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    This reminds me of last year's xmas game against the Titans. Everyone was screaming trap game then too. The Niners are no that scary of a team. The fact that the Chargers are playing at home should be a big help, too. I see this game as being one that lots of people fret over but the Chargers dominate.

21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Besides the game against each other, the Chargers and Chiefs each have four games against teams that any division champ should beat. What makes the Chiefs schedule tougher is that the Chiefs have to play the Chargers, and the Chargers are a better team. Deep down you know this to be true. If both teams play to their potential, the Chargers will win.

22. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    No, we do not "know this to be true." We don't know what the Chief's potential is yet, as they likely have yet to reach it with this VERY young team. I don't expect a division championship let alone a deep playoff run, but no one knows how much the Chiefs will continue to grow this year. The Chargers are playing as well as anyone right now, but we've all seen this story before, and we know the ending already.

IF the Chargers make the playoffs, they are unlikely to be able to win on the road in what is likely to be unfavorable (to them) weather. And until Rivers wins the big game, he is a second tier quarterback (It was the same for Manning).

23. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    The Chargers should also win that game cuz I wont be there.

24. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Who have they beaten??? Nobody really.

25. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    How do you figure the weather on the road to be unfavorable to them. This team actually plays good in the colder weather. Of their 5 playoff losses since 2004 only 2 were on the road in cold weather, and the Pats were F-N Undefeated in 2007, and we still could have won that game with Rivers on ONE leg, and NO LT. So I don't get your point with this team on the weather factor.

And yes you do know it to be true. The Chargers are the better team, and have better depth on their roster (Except for the RB position), I'll give KC that with McCluster, Charles, and Jones. But that's it. If your team puts back to back winning seasons together 2010-2011, then you will have something to bring to the table, not a one season 7-4 start. Win the division first, then show something next season...

26. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    Every team is dangerous, or in this case the biggest danger is the Chargers themselves. Up until 4 weeks ago, they showed the ability to lose to ANYONE. Accordingly, the weight of schedule doesn't mean much to me. If they play like they have the last 4 weeks they SHOULD win out. But I do NOT feel warm & fuzzy with their playoff chances, Rivers may be throwing to the hot dog vendor by then.

27. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    hey

When it comes to KC vs SD....I dont care how young or inexperienced they are in KC. Give me Rivers at home vs Cassell....and I will wager the house.

A game like this could ruin KC season if they come in and SD blows them out! A young team like that would be completely demoralized and let down to earth if they do.

28. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Stop the tap dance. The only reason you started this thread is to use the excuse we had an easy schedule.

Your attempts to sound credible are laughable. You chose to use excuses instead of facing the heat after your team lost big a few weeks ago.

Using the excuse of family deaths is weak and par for your course to garner sympathy as though a Chiefs fan will find any sympathy on the opposing team boards.

Face it. You opened your mouth and now you are finding ways to weasel your way into posting something, anything which can save face.

Dude, you crashed and burned by disappearing and you damn well know it. You lost whatever respect you had in this forum. You write good posts but fans like yourself just go to prove what we all suspected and it ain't pretty.

You are capable enough by your prose to fill in the blanks.