1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers now "worth" more than $2 billion

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Acee: Chargers value climbs past $2B

Man, these guys just can’t catch a break. It’s tough being an NFL owner looking for some folks to spare a dime to help out.

The Chargers need a new stadium to keep pace with their competition in many areas, but apparently they only need the possibility of a new stadium in order to be worth a lot more.

Forbes on Wednesday released its annual valuations of NFL teams and valued the Chargers at $2.08 billion. That’s a 36 percent increase over last year, almost double the 19 percent growth in the average value of the 32 NFL franchises.

The Dallas Cowboys, at $4.2 billion, are the most valuable franchise for the 10th straight year.

The Chargers were valued at $1.525 billion in 2015, 22nd in the NFL. They are now 21st. A total of 24 teams are valued at $2 billion or more.

The reality is that how much more the Chargers are worth should figure into the stadium vote no more than what the team’s win-loss record is. Neither has anything to do with whether a public investment of this size is worth San Diego’s approval.

“The last time I checked, there were no poor football team owners,” said Fred Maas, the point man in the Chargers’ stadium campaign. “If people want to focus on that, they can ride the train to (see) the Chargers in L.A., where football owners get really rich.”

There is certainly no doubt a new stadium and/or a move to Los Angeles creates a significant increase in value.

Forbes explained the jump in the worth of the Chargers and Oakland Raiders (up 47 percent to $2.1 billion) was attributable to their options. The Chargers have a deal in place to join the Rams in Los Angeles if a stadium in San Diego doesn’t happen. The Raiders are considering a move to Las Vegas and have the second option in L.A.

The St. Louis Rams were ranked 28th with an estimated value of $1.45 billion in 2015. In Wednesday’s rankings, the Los Angeles Rams are the sixth-most valuable team after a 100 percent increase in value to $2.9 billion. Forbes estimates the Rams could be worth almost $4 billion once their $3 billion privately financed stadium and surrounding development project in Inglewood is completed in 2019.

The Minnesota Vikings, who begin play in a new stadium in downtown Minneapolis this season, jumped from last year’s value of $1.59 billion to $2.2 billion this year. The Atlanta Falcons jumped 27 percent to $2.13 billion a year ahead of their move next year into a new stadium.

The Chargers, who play in the league’s second-oldest stadium, are sponsoring Measure C, a November ballot initiative that seeks a hike in the hotel tax to help fund a $1.8 billion stadium-convention center project downtown. The team and NFL would contribute $650 million to that total.

Polls indicate the measure faces a steep climb, and Wednesday’s news will not help lessen the perception held by many that an NFL team doesn’t need public money.

The reality is that every NFL stadium has been built with some sort of public subsidy. Even MetLife Stadium, home of the New York Giants and Jets, is built on land that was given to the teams. The Falcons got $200 million toward their $1.6 billion stadium that is almost complete. Most teams got more.

The Vikings got $498 million in public assistance toward the $1.08 billion it cost to build U.S. Bank Stadium. The Cowboys got $444 million toward their stadium cost of $1.15 billion.

If San Diego is going to keep the Chargers – either with Measure C’s passage or some other agreement worked out next year or the year after – there will be some public money contributed to the project.

The Chargers play in a decrepit building. Forbes estimates they have the league’s seventh-lowest operating income ($59 million) and 12th-lowest revenue ($344 million). They are coming off a 4-12 season and have made the playoffs once in the past six years. Many in San Diego consider ownership to be the chief cause of the team’s woes.

Yet, they gained a half-billion dollars, at least in paper wealth.

The NFL shares the majority of the money it receives from its national TV deals and sponsorships. Last year, the pie they cut up was $12.2 billion.

So, sort of like their football players letting go of a fourth-quarter lead, the Chargers owners just can’t help but get richer.

And sort of like being the team that plays them, the folks opposing the Chargers’ stadium effort just have to sit back and allow the peripheral issues take swipes at the team’s knees.

“When the public sees the increase, they become more skeptical,” said Councilman Chris Cate, one of the leaders of the No Downtown Stadium coalition. “They become more questioning of these types of deals. When they see a tax increase and they see the risk to the city, they’re more skeptical when they see (NFL team) values keep going up.”

The opposition to the team’s stadium measure centers on the use of tax money. Cate reiterated Wednesday he would be in support of certain “creative” options to help the Chargers get a new stadium in San Diego.

It’s the optics of this valuation, however, that are so awful.

For those upset about a business valued at $1.5 billion getting public assistance to build a new home, the extra $500 mil or so is like putting butter on an apple fritter. It already made them feel gross, and now they’re sick to their stomach.

Sometimes, a good bottom line doesn’t look so good.

4:05 p.m.: This article was updated with additional details.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Lawyers guns & money

Lawyers guns & money BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +108
    Perfect time for Spanos to sell. Please please

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    "Can you get Larry Ellison on the line?"

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    As much as we'd all like to see them go, I can't see them selling when the siblings have entrenched themselves so firmly in to FO positions of power.

They simply won't find employment anywhere else.

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    No one would ever argue that point. However, if they sell for a big enough profit, they can just retire and sip piña coladas.

6. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    That's probably what we would do, but I get the feeling some ponce that likes to squat on bars wearing fluorescent pink socks probably enjoys the privileged ego-inflating status that comes with owning an NFL franchise.

It's just my perception though. He's local to you guys so I'm sure you know his character and fellow bretheren way better than I do. I admit I could be way off the mark.

7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    It could only be top shelf ownership & management, to account for such huge, totally earned, capital gains!!

Gooooooooooooooooooooo Spanos Klan!!!

8. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    I heard the conversation about this on the drive home this afternoon on 1090 AM with Billy Ray and Scott K.

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    ..... and? ;)

10. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    And then a big truck pulls into my lane, and I had to concentrate on driving as traffic crawled to a stop...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    ^^^ I don't recall anything more than that at this time...

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    So, after your head hit the dashboard, the rest is a blur? ;)

13. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Naw, I think that it's because it was the Scott and BR radio show that I can't remember anything else...

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    ^^^ That's a good point

15. woodeye

woodeye Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Sell ?

What is John Spanos supposed to do with his mad skillz ?

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    This isn't correct is it?........ are there not 3 stadia older? i.e. Soldier field, Lambeau and Coliseum?

17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    It's kind of a tricky thing to define...Soldier Field was so thoroughly (on the inside)
    demolished and rebuilt in 2002, that it really is virtually a "new" stadium...
    and one could even argue that the lesser retrofits done in Oakland & San Diego should similarly count,
    but that's a stretch.

So there's some wiggle room for partisans to put the emphasis where they wish...
    but at the end of the day, the Chargers & Raiders are, in my opinion, essentially tied for the oldest,
    most out of date stadiums in the league.
    (not that I'm saying Qualcomm can't be perfectly nice on a Sunday afternoon...I feel it's shortcomings are often exaggerated)

18. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    So you're saying we won something....woooop

:abq1:

19. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Sell! Sell! Sell!

Please Dean?