1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers offense faces another tough test

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    <!-- begin story body -->

<TABLE class=text11 cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=0 width=552 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="100%">Why To Watch

Both teams are coming off big wins and San Diego now leads the AFC West while Jacksonville is only one game out of first place in the AFC South. This game could have playoff implications down the road. Jacksonville's run defense has been extremely stingy since Week 2 and will face the NFL's best RB in in San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson. After missing three games with an ankle injury, Jacksonville should get starting QB David Garrard back on Sunday. Prior to the injury, he had thrown zero interceptions and now faces a San Diego defense that came up with six interceptions against Peyton Manning Sunday night. This is going to be an old-fashion, physical football game.

By Scouts Inc

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="1%"></TD><TD>To continue reading this article you must be an Insider.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Can any body help...
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

• Like Like x 1
  2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Is there any chance at all that we see the Chargers come out in a spread offense this week? Philip in the shotgun, Chambers, Nanee, Gates, and Jackson with LT as a single back?

I dream of this scenario. I know it's outside of the scope of what the Chargers are "supposed" to be. But I really feel that Rivers needs an air-it-out approach from the outset in order to get his rhythm going.

Power running plays are gonna be a nightmare this weekend if that's how Norv starts out. Pounding into the teeth of this defense will be an exercise in futility.

Damn. Someone gimme the damn playbook and a headset!!!

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I'd at least like to see a no huddle approach. We have not established any rhthym on offense. We have a good play followed by a bad one. Or a good play negated by a penalty. Pick up the pace. Create a sense of urgency.

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    One thing going for us in the running game is:

If he is out, that will help big time.

The big key for SD, will be to keep Jones-Drew and Taylor under control. Gerrard is coming back from being out the past few weeks, so hopefully there will be some rust there.

I would like to see a spread O. Send LT out and keep someone else in there to pick up the Blitz. Manu for example. LT is a GREAT RB, but his blitz pickup is a bit weak. Waste of time to have him back there anyway, he scares the **** out of anyone that has to cover him.

5. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Nah, we'll probably just run LT into the line on first down 80% of the time setting up lots of 2nd and longs.

6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Tonight I watched the NFL Replay of the game. I didn't go too crazy on breaking it down, but my overall impression was that the offense was very effective out of spread and/or shotgun. Anything where Philip had time to get back and fire quickly. The little 4-6-8 yard tosses appeared to move the ball and be the highest percentage of successful plays. But then there would be the big attempt downfield that would either fall incomplete or get picked. Why not just continue chipping away for more than 3 plays in a row? Make that defense believe you're gonna dink and dunk 'em all day long.

That's when they commit to it and you catch 'em deep. You especially have to do this against the good teams. 'cause they've watched enough film on you now that they think they have you figured out.

We've seen plenty of Stupid Norv to last us a lifetime, I wanna see Mysterious Guru Norv emerge and fool us all!!! :lol:

7. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Fully agree with this. Rivers I think is at his best when he isn't thinking so much. Need plays designed to get it out of Rivers hands quickly. When we went no huddle last year we got in some nice grooves in a few games.

8. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Norv said in his Monday presser that we got taken out of our "groove" by penalties, sacks, and some fluke INT's.

After watching the game again on NFL Replay, I agree a lot more with Norv's comments than my initial impressions following the game.

McNeill and Olivea both allowed drive killing sacks. We get 6 yards on a 1st down run by LT, then a procedure call before 2nd down, then a sack. Crap like that just kills momentum, drives, and the "groove" the team (or Rivers) is in.

How would things have changed without those two tipped INT's that found Colts' players hands? How would things have changed if the refs had called the two blatant pass interference penalties the Colts made on Gates? How about the one Colts TD drive where we stopped them in their own territory on 3rd down, but a flag away from the ball got Weddle with illegal contact?

Lots of little stuff to clean up that is on the PLAYERS for mental and physical errors - penalties and missing blocks/tackles.

9. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I agree don't gibe Rivers too much time to think. he scares the hell out of me this season

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    One way he might be able to mitigate some of those mistakes is to go no huddle like bssb mentioned earlier.

I think Norv really needs to come out with a fresh approach against the Jags. He can always fall back on the old shiit, but I have a feeling that the Jags would be overwhelmed by a no huddle, spread offense to open the game.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I watched it last night and saw pretty mcuh what you saw. We were very effective on the 2nd quarter scoring drive capped by the LT td run. I think Rivers completed 1 pass over 10 yards on that drive, the one across the middle for Jackson (I think it was maybe 15 yards?). Dink and dunk worked very well, I agree. Put Chambers, Jackson, Gates, and Davis all wide, with LT in the backfield.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    And for Pete's sake.........MIX UP THE FARGIN' PLAYS!!!! I swear, my 2-year-old grandson can figure out what they're gonna do next!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    OK - so whose going to slip in, hypnotize Norv, & put these ideas in his head? :icon_shrug:

I'm too far away! :lol:

14. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    I hope Clint Ingram pops Rivers right in the knee.

15. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I'd like to see alot more shotgun too. Give Rivers a little extra time to survey the field.

Also give the ball to LT on some delayed draws.

16. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I know Rivers has been struggling as of late, but do we really have to wish bodily injury on our starting quarterback ? :icon_shrug:

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    On the replay last night, I noticed the defense get plays turned inside, which they weren't doing in the beginning of the year. It looks like they are starting to get the "tweaks" down and if continued will give us a consistent big play D.

The offense, wee as Trumpie would say "it's all on the fat boy's", they're consistent at being inconsistent. Lt is taking way to many hit's and losses behind the LOS, very unlike him. Rivers, seems to constantly be under a heavy rush and getting hit as he releases the ball. Rivers, needs to tighten up his game, hold onto the damn ball and for Christ sake eat the damn thing instead of tossing up an easy INT.

Penalties are killing us as well, to many drives have been killed before they can ever get started. Our players need to be more disciplined on the field. They have only been playing this game most of their lives, show up and play the damn game.

18. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    [​IMG]

19. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243

Hex - Good stuff.

I will say that although Rivers had 3 turnovers vs the Colts, they weren't of the dumbass variety.

The first INT was a damn good play by their MLB getting back into his deep Tampa-2 responsibilty and making a play on the ball. It was a very athletic play. The ball tipped off three people's bodies before being snatched just above the ground. Fluke.

The second INT was a ricochet off Gates, who normally grabs everything.

As Rivers explained in either his postgame or Monday press interview, the fumble came on a play after Rivers had been on the ground (fat boys again not doing their job) and he had tried to get his hand dry. He said he saw Gates "flash open" and instinct took over to try and rifle one in. Rivers discussed how he needs to have a different grip on the ball when it's dry vs wet/muddy, and he screwed up and tried to grip and throw like it was a sunny day on that play. Instinct.

Still, I want NO turnovers from our QB, but at least these weren't him throwing across his body, making bad reads, etc.

Re-watching the game gave me a lot better feelings about Norv and Rivers. I saw a couple plays that were new tweaks on old staples - ie, running Power out of a "shotgun draw" and pulling McNeill instead of Dielman on Power to the right.

Rivers never got in a groove because the OL (McNeill and Olivea) had too many blown blocks, and as an offensive unit, we had too many penalties. Rivers was setting and firing, with better velocity than I thought on watching live, and making better decisions than my emotional gameday state thought.

Eliminate the penalties and other mental mistakes, and hold the blocks longer. This offense is not too far away from getting into a groove and getting "hot" ....

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Good post. Thanks Shammy.

21. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    This kind of wisdom is why cows follow you to their slaughter.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    :icon_rofl:

23. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    This sort of hateful, "look at me," rabble-rousing is beneath you MTL.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I'm still trying to figure out if that's a good thing or a bad thing ... :lol:

25. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Discipline. Let go your feelings, Norval, use the force. Discipline is the crux of the biscuit. Are you listening, Norval, or are you too old to begin the training?

26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I agree, Rivers TO's were of the fluke variety. Some of his prior fumbles and Int's were from being hit at the wrong time. The other's were just bone headed plays. Ifin you don't believe me, just ask Peyton. Rivers still needs to tighten up his game.

On the plays with Gates, the missed touchdown was a perfectly thrown ball but even a better defensive play. Gates seen that ball coming in, only to be misdirected by so little. Gates is the only receiver to have gotten what Norv is teaching, when the other finally do, look out. Chambers and Rivers should start hooking up on soon, they've been working together about 4 weeks now so we should start to see it on the field.

LT is LT, when the blocking improves he'll be just like he's always been GREAT.

As far as the O-line, Mc Niell, is having a tough go of it this year. On the play to LT, on our offense's left side he was blown up by Freeney. Rivers got the ball off in LT's direction some how while being hit, but LT never even looked back. Hell, I didn't even see a defender near him. That's just how it goes, what could have been a great play turn out to be nothing.

I'm not a big Norv fan, but what I do know of him and from where he came from, if this team starts clicking look the fawk out. I included the Pat's in my statement, If we gel at that right time it's going to be hard to stop this team.

By the way, Thank you.

27. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    No ****? I can't believe any Bolts fan would say something so stupid.

28. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    This would be a great week for this team to have their best game of the year. :bolt:

29. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I totally agree with many are saying here, but it is a riot :)icon_rofl:) how in the past if we dink & dunk the ball we talked about how much either the QB sucked or they were horrible on calling plays past 5 yards. Then we try and do that and the OL could hold back the DL which totally screws up our QB long passing and we suddenly want to go back to the dink & dunk passing. Just the reason why I laugh when folks bash our coaching for how they call the games.

:icon_huh:

30. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Is there anyone else you wish to see go down via a knee shot? :icon_evil:

Get it out. :lol: