1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers Open Camp

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Jul 27, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +262
    <strong>July 27, 2005</strong>
    Source: <a href="http://www.chargers.com/news/headline_detail.cfm?news_key=2202">Chargers.com
    </a>

A week ago, Chargers quarterback Drew Brees spent a full day in Los Angeles on a media tour in which he extensively discussed the Bolts' upcoming season. Tuesday, the Chargers' signal caller was back to playing the game instead of just chatting about it.

"I love it when football season starts because I get to quick talking about it and just get on the field and do it," Brees said. "Actions speak louder than words. It's fun to talk about the team, but after a while you just want to go out and play. It's good to finally be able to do that."

Brees joined San Diego's rookies and a handful of other veterans on the practice field Tuesday as the Chargers kicked off their 2005 season. Rookies, first-year players, quarterbacks, and veterans who either had an offseason surgery or failed their end-of-year physical last January got a head start on their teammates, who won't begin practicing until Friday morning.

"I thought things went pretty well," Chargers Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer said. "When you have limited numbers like this, you have to kind of modify your practice. But it feels good to get started. I thought the guys got some good things accomplished today."

While numbers were limited, the Chargers did receive a boost in their afternoon practice. Defensive tackle Luis Castillo agreed to terms Tuesday morning and joined his teammates after missing their first workout.

"This league is about playing football," Castillo said. "The only way that you can prove your worth is to be on the field. The Chargers and my agent knew that I wanted to get here early, so they were able to work something good out. It felt great to be out there today."

With Castillo in the fold, first-round pick Shawne Merriman and second-round selection Vincent Jackson are the only two draft choices that the Chargers have yet to sign.

Schottenheimer continued to praise fourth-round pick Darren Sproles Tuesday. The former Kansas State Wildcat is a leading candidate to return punts and kicks this season, and Sproles shined during special teams drills on Tuesday.

"We really like the way that this kid can move," Schottenheimer said. "We think we've found a good young player. Were he three inches taller, he probably would have gone in the first or second round (of the draft) based on his production in college and his abilities."

Those present at Tuesday's drills will practice twice again on Wednesday. Both of Wednesday's practices will be closed to the public, but fans are invited to attend when full-squad workouts begin Friday morning.