1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers part ways with Reich

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Jan 4, 2016.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I just read on my ESPN.com app that the Chargers have parted ways with OC -Frank Reich.

2. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    I see the headline says they're keeping McCoy... I think the broom should have swept the whole damn 4-12 coaching staff out the door. But what do I know... I'm just a fan. Perhaps the pisz-poor team what I witnessed on the field was just an illusion. Reich sure stunk as an o-coord.

3. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    A year too late, IMO.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    So... An offensive minded coordinator (Denver OC) becomes the Chargers HC. In his 1st year it takes a previously known commodity in Ken Whiz to barely muster a 9-7 season, while the clueless new HC fargs everything up with time outs, clock managements, challenges, crucial on field decisions...

In the last two seasons and specially in the last 20 games, the team goes like 5-15 while it is actually the D which keeps them in most of those games, yet the O achieves ZILCH and now the FO in its great wisdom keeps this turd of an HC, while planning on cleaning house on the O side and possibly also getting rid of most of the staff on the D side, including the DC...

Hmmm, yup it sounds like the history to which i have been foolishly a witness to in the last 23 years. Good luck finding any coordinators who are worth a lick working with a lame duck HC!

5. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Adios, motherfuquer!

6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    #BringBackTheWhiz #PromoteNolan #SuperPaganoBros

7. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    you lost me with #SuperPaganoBros

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    im cryng tears of joy. thank god that idiot is gone. still rather have marty and just play marty ball that was always entertaining back when we had lt.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Also fired...

D'Allessandris OL
    Graves WR
    Dees OL
    Johnson DL (HALALUJA!)
    Metzelaars TE

Pagano is spared yet again, not sure how to feel about that.

10. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    [​IMG]

11. Lawyers guns & money

Lawyers guns & money BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +112
    Wonder if Nolan will get a DC job somewhere?

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Again (I feel like people just aren't reading). Pagano can't be fired... he doesn't have a contract after this season - which technically is done now. So he has no contract as of now. Unless there's a report that says we're actually retaining him - which would mean giving him an extension - a lack of report saying he's been fired doesn't mean he's staying.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Everyone, including McYoc was very high on that guy. I mentioned this once before that he was flying around like a mad scientist during one of these last meaningless games showing stills and photos to the O-linemen but Franklin was just sitting on the bench like a turd-log and wasn't paying any attention.

I think that they need to bring in a young and burly ex O-lineman as a coach who can actually kick the arses of these fat and lazy lame linemen they've got, instead of a geriatric grandpa material!

14. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    I wonder if Marty's brother is still available. ;)

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Maybe Nick Hardwick as a coach?

• Like Like x 1
  16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    So yeah the Chargers will need to find coordinators who might tolerate a move to LA and could possibly only do this for one year because McCoy (baring some sort of super secret extension.....again) will be here one more year at most. Good luck finding anyone worth a damn with that sort of job security.

Honestly D'Allesandris is a scape goat, same with Johnson. Both those guys did great worth with scrubs over the past two years but they're the ones who get the blame. I keep praying that the Strength/Conditioning team gets it too but they must have the same black mail material that Donald Brown has.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    To be fair the guys who got hurt sucked even when they were available.

We saw regression in Chris Watt to the point where I don't even think he belongs in the NFL, even granting him a practice squad slot would seem excessively generous. Trevor Robinson is barely better, in fact Pro Football Focus (who I do take with a grain of salt) has him graded as the worst center in the entire NFL by more than 10 grade points. Despite playing over 1000 snaps, he made NO improvement.

Remember back when Clary would regularly suck for 10-11 games and then justify his roster spot for another year with a moderate to strong finish? Yeah....that didn't happen, for anybody.

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Kurt's always available. No one - not even high schools - want to hire Kurt. He hasn't worked since 2012 and couldn't even get a job in the UFL without big bro having to pull strings for him.

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Yes and no. Scapegoated a bit? Maybe. Free from blame? Not in the slightest.

D'Alessandris wasn't given scrubs. In fact, he had input on just about every non-UDFA we brought in - even had two of his former guys (guys he either tried to recruit when he was at Georgia Tech or coached when he was on-staff in Buffalo) brought in. Strength and conditioning is only one bit of the injuries our trenches kept suffering. Many of them were cases of getting rolled up, getting put on the ground too easily, or contact that can be at least somewhat attributed to poor awareness and poor technique (both of which fall on coaching to have ironed out).

Johnson, from what I can tell, doesn't teach technique well - or effectively - because the handwork of the majority of our DL players is pretty wretched.

20. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,737
    Nah, too skinny.

21. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    Glad to see Mike Nolan retained. I've long been a fan of Nolan and I don't think it's any coincidence that the most improved group on this team (by far) was the line backing group. If Pagano is out, I have no problem giving the DC job to Nolan.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    This decision to retain McCoy but fire all his assistants baffles me.

How much of an endorsement of "Milquetoast Mike" McCoy is this in the first place? The team has fired every offensive coach and from the sound of things Pags doesn't have a contract. With everyone getting fired around McCoy, just how much influence does he really have? I mean- who is going to hire the assistant coaches now that all his selections got canned?

Seems like a stupid move by the Chargers... they should have just cleaned house and been done with it. Instead they've said to McCoy- "okay, your top choices for assistants all sucked, so let's try again." Stupid move.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  23. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I did say burley, but Nik lost all the "burl". Conc anyone? :)

24. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    I think D brown gave McCoy the "pics"​
    D brown said " use these in an Emergincy, worked for me!";);):cool:

25. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    It's funny you say Hardwick. The first one I thought of was Kris Dielman.

• Like Like x 1