1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers part ways with Roscoe Parrish

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Aug 27, 2012.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Chargers part ways with Roscoe Parrish

Posted by Mike Florio on August 27, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT
    AP
    The Chargers opted not to spend big money on receiver Vincent Jackson, replacing him with a smattering of cheaper veteran options.

The receiving corps includes a trio of kick returners — and one of them is now gone.
    Veteran Roscoe Parrish has been released by the Chargers, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

The move leaves Eddie Royal, Micheal Spurlock, and cornerback Marcus Gilchrist as the three kick returners on the roster.

The Chargers currently have 10 receivers on the roster other than Parrish, who spent all seven of his NFL seasons with the Bills.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Just say no to the U. :p

3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Apparently what ever black mailing pictures Clary has been holding throughout the years, have now come into Goodman's hands.

Not saying I thought Roscoe would make the team, and I like that they cut him in time to latch on somewhere (Miami) before the season. I may be mistaken, but it seemed to me like Roscoe was one of the more reliable receivers in the pre season. I just figured they would have sat on that one a bit longer, then Norv could have done what he had with Robinson, call up a team and recommend that he will play better than any WR on the Chargers current roster :p

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Imagine Goodman is going to be part of the first big group of cuts

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I agree since, IMO, Spurlock has looked better.

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    We can only hope.

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Mike Willie looks like a keeper and some tough cuts are coming unless there are a couple untimely incidents of injury that force a move to IR.

8. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Yep, I think the Parrish release is signs on the wall that Mike Willie may have played his way into that spot.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We'll see. There's still Goodman & Embree.

10. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
  11. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +274
    watched the panthers-jets game last night... lots of former chargers in Panther uni's. Maybe they'll add a few more before the season starts. PS... Ron Rivera looks like he's doing pretty well for himself as HC in Carolina. Wishing he were in that job here in San Diego.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Agreed. How about Rivera as HC, move Norv to OC and get Wade as DC. I like to dream...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    HCing pipedreams aside, our 5th WR has to be a receiver and not just a return guy as a result of the Brown injury.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Based on one losing season?........ no thanks. Rivera may have a good career as a HC, but he's hardly got a proven track record.

15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    His performance as a DC was pretty impressive.

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Yes, despite the Bears firing him....... but were talking about the HC job.

17. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Considering the holes on that roster, I think he did fairly well as a HC, also. Then again, it wasn't my team either. This season will tell alot.

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    My point was.... it's too early to tell. For some fans, the grass is always greener.

19. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't know what to make of RR as a HC yet. On the one hand, he went 6-10 in his first season. On the other hand, his roster was basically in full rebuilding mode and he played the Saints and Falcons twice, and still went 6-10, with his team in a lot of those losses late. Hard to say, but time will tell. I'm not going to get involved in an anti-Norv fest at this point. Prime Rib, wine, and beer have made me too sleepy for such nonsense.

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Personally, I'm more interested in seeing how Pagano can get this defense back to it's prime, when the pass rush was actually something to be feared.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Will that be a factor of Pagano scheming to his players, or our DC finally having the players for his scheme? I'm very interested in the impact that Ingram/Johnson/(Healthy English?) will have on this defense.

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Manusky may've been shorthanded, but he also failed to adapt to his circumstances.

The 49ers defensive roster didn't change much last year after he left, but their performance was even better. I tend to think it was a matter of better talent making Manusky look more competent as a DC than he really was..... and it fooled the Chargers into hiring him.

23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Manusky is old news. I'm just curious as to whether the change will be more FO inspired or more DC's office inspired, i.e. similar schemes with better/different players, or wildly different/varied schemes with better/different players?

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Pags has already blitzed more than Ski. did all last year. Not to mention his blitz scheme has come from several positions already and he's playing vanilla defense right now. Players and scheme are both intricate parts and go hand in hand.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    The positive about Pagano, is that he worked under Phillips, Cottrell, and Rivera. If he's smart, and I think he is, he'll take the things that worked from each coach and put them into his own scheme.

One of the most important things a coach needs to do is identify what a player does well and put them into situations where they can use those skills to the team's best advantage. The coaches that fail, are the ones who try to squeeze players into their scheme, and you end up with the square pegs/round holes problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. powayslugger

Ratings:
    +274
    Norv's "track record as HC' as you phrase it can be described as one one... sh!tty! Norv has not really done anything but put our Chargers into reverse since he took over from Marty... We could have this conversation for a million years and not solve anything... I wish I hadn't brought it up.

On another note, the Raiders just signed Roscoe... thst in itself sucks.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Remind me of how many playoff games Marty won us?.......... yeah.

Who's cares where Roscoe signed?...... they guy doesn't have it anymore (if he truly ever did).

28. powayslugger

Ratings:
    +274
    And I'm still waiting to see the Charger's Super Ring on Turner's finger... I'm talking about all the success Norv has shown the last two years (oppps two playoff misses) .. I don't really give a f*** whether Marty won zero playoff games or a trilllion... He's old news... yet Turner remains after missing the playoffs two years running. Show me what you got Norval.. just win baby. I want to be a Turner backer like you seem to be but the guy just turns my stomach every game that I watch him walk the sidelines as the Chargers head coach. I hope to heck he proves me wrong - but I just don't think the guy has it in him to do what it takes to coach a winner. The only "it" Norv seems to have is preceded by the letters SH.

BTW----The big deal about Roscoe going to the Raiders is that he's taking the playbook with him to Oakland and it might just help those b@stards out and that sucks. Maybe that sort of stuff is exaggerated but anything that helps the Raiders out... in any way... truly does suck.

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Only one team wins the Super Bowl....... everyone else are losers. There have been many circumstances that have derailed or playoff runs, but I don't need to go into them here. The simple fact is that Norv is our coach now, and for us to be successful, he must be. I don't root against my team, or my coach...... simple.

That stealing the playback business is nonsense. Unless they can listen in on the calls, there's no way for the Raiders to know what Norv is calling in the game. His offense is complex, and whatever Parrish can tell the Raiders is of limited value. If he had a great grasp of the offense, he'd still be here.

30. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Do not concur – Norv Turner definitely has his faults, but he’s a real good play caller and is exceptional with quarterbacks. Philip Rivers was good before he arrived, but I credit Norv with helping him to become elite.

Every QB who Norv has worked with from Troy Aikman all the way up to Alex Smith, have played some of their very best football while under his tutelage.

• Agree Agree x 2