1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers-Patriots: 10 Observations

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Skuzzlebutt, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Chargers-Patriots: 10 observations [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    By Doug Kretz
    Scouts Inc.

San Diego at New England
    [​IMG]
    When: 4:15 PM ET​
    Watch: CBS​
    [​IMG]

Scouts Inc. Position Advantage
    QB RB WR OL DL LB DB ST Coach
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

After breaking down film of both teams, Scouts Inc. offers 10 things to watch in this week's Chargers-Patriots matchup.

1. Spread things out: New England head coach Bill Belichick is a master at coming up with defensive schemes that take away what the opposing offense does best. He will be severely tested this week after having a Monday night game and having a short week in which to prepare. Look for San Diego head coach Norv Turner to use a lot of multiple-receiver sets and combination routes as he tries to force the Patriots' defense to overthink and play the game slower.
    2. Expect the Chargers to use a quick passing game: San Diego QB Philip Rivers is one of the best when it comes to recognizing stunts and making the defense pay for gambling with a pressure package. Look for a lot of one- and three-step drops with Rivers getting the ball out of his hands on short, quick slants, bubble screens and quick hitches. He'll let his receivers use their size and strength to break tackles and get a lot of their production after the catch.
    3. San Diego wants to play from a lead: Given the option, all teams would rather play from a lead, but that axiom is even more important as the Chargers will be playing without All-Pro kicker Nate Kaeding, who injured his knee during the opening kickoff last week. It's hard to replace one of the most accurate kickers in league history, and San Diego won't want the game on the line with a long field goal to determine the outcome.
    4. Get the ground game untracked. San Diego put up 77 yards on the ground in its first game against the Vikings with an average of just 2.9 yards per carry. The Chargers need a more balanced attack if they hope to find success against some of the league's better defenses. Last season they averaged over 4.0 yards per carry and will want to focus on finding more success with their ground game.
    5. Matchup to watch: San Diego TE Antonio Gates vs. New England MLB Brandon Spikes: Gates is one of the most athletic and productive tight ends in the NFL and can take over a game with his route-running skills as well as his ability to run after the catch. He can overpower defenders to the ball or uncover against good man coverage. Spikes is a very athletic linebacker and will have his hands full as the Patriots try to contain Gates and limit his production, especially after the catch.
    6. Increase the role of Chad Ochocinco: Ochocinco is being eased into the rotation and will be given an increasingly bigger role as the season wears on. He does not know all the complexities of the Patriots' passing game yet, but he is a smart receiver and QB Tom Brady will look to him more and more often as the season roles on. The Patriots lack a great receiving corps and need Ochocinco to bring an explosive game on Sundays.
    7. Look for a lot of double-tight end formations: The Patriots have one of the best tight end combinations in the NFL. Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez are very different types of tight ends, but are both in their second year and create matchup issues for different reasons. Gronkowski is a massive combination blocker and receiver who knows how to run routes and can overpower defenders to the ball, while Hernandez is explosive and a dangerous downfield threat.
    8. Look for more two-deep coverages from the Patriots: If Chad Henne and the Miami Dolphins are able to put up over 400 yards on the Patriots secondary, what will Philip Rivers and the Chargers do? Belichick can't afford to be as aggressive with his blitz package against Rivers, who has become one of the better quarterbacks in the NFL at recognizing blitzes and throwing into the vacated zones. New England can ill afford to give up many explosive plays to this offense.
    9. Win the kicking game: New England has one of the more explosive return units in the NFL, both on punt returns as well as kickoff returns. Julian Edelman is a speedy wide receiver who handled both punt and kickoff returns on Monday night and came close to springing more than one return. With San Diego being one of the few teams that can match the Patriots offensively, a quick score via a return could make a huge difference.
    10. Matchup to watch: New England TEs Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez vs. San Diego safeties Bob Sanders and Eric Weddle: Hernandez and Gronkowski had seven and six receptions, respectively, against the Dolphins on Monday night. The Patriots like to use both of these tight ends at the same time and both provide matchup issues to most safeties. Sanders gives up a lot of height to both tight ends and Weddle may struggle to match Hernandez in foot speed.

Prediction
    [​IMG] San Diego 27
    New England 22

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/scouting?gameId=310918017

2. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I really feel like we'll put a lot more than 27 up on the Pats, like the article said if Henne can put up 400, what is Rivers going to do?

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    It'll come down to pass rush - can we get to Brady? can we keep them off of Rivers?
    If its a yes, we will win

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I think we sure can, I think our Defense is ready for Brady. I love the Defenses attitude this year just seems like they have a whole new level of confidence, maybe it's the new pick-ups and it could be guys just growing up. But I firmly believe our secondary is gonna hold up against their passing attack. I'm just afraid of getting behind early against these guys in their home opener. But I do like our chances.

5. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Also, no snow in Foxborough this time of year, I like our chances a lot based on that alone

6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    So long as we don't start the game slow, we have an excellent chance to win. This is the Pats opener and they will come out and try to steamroll us early. If the Chargers can weather the initial storm, then the Pats are in trouble.

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Pats D gave up 400 yards passing to the Dolphins. Rivers may break Brady's record!

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Totally agree. If we don't get in Brady's face it's going to be a long afternoon.

9. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Only thing I don't agree with on this analysis is the WR. I think the Bolts have a superior WR crew than NE.

Also... did he really say the Patsies' ST are WORSE than the Chargers?!? Wowzers!

10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I can see the bias in their opionion of NE receivers vs ours. But really its right. Welker in terms of value to a offensive scheme is that of VJ. so those 2 cancel each other out. Then u got Deion Branch Chad Johnson and their Awesome of late TE duo. After VJ and Gates we got pretty much a bunch of #2 WRs. I dunno I could see it called a draw if you weigh in TEs as receivers.

Gonna be a good game.

11. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Good write up. I didn't catch the Patsies game so I only know of how good they were in the preseason. Damn good. It'll be a real test. But so was Minnesota, and especially after halftime, the Chargers performed spectacularly.

12. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    He won't put up 400......McCourty got his *** handed to him by Brandon Marshall...if that happens Sunday, McCourty and Belichick may be on bad terms....not good for the sophomore CB with great skills but execution breakdowns. Look for that corner to be a little more capable than last Monday night. The Chargers could very well put up more than 27, but watch the Patriots put up 40+ points.

13. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    The defense is gonna have to make it a bad day for Tom for us to win. Our offense be it shaky in the first half will deliver eventually. It's our defense that is the key for the Chargers winning this matchup.

14. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Good to see ya Bucky!

Brandon Marshall most definitely did not have all 400 of those yards. If a sorry qb like Henne can put up 400 yards, a top tier qb like Rivers will undoubtedly exploit that secondary with even more weapons than Miami and with a receiver of almost equivalent caliber in Jackson

15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    40+? Highly doubtful. When we played you guys last year Tom Terrific threw for less than 50 yards in the first half, despite the Chargers turning the ball over on four straight possessions.

16. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Exactly. I know its on the other coast now, and anything can happen, but I have no idea how someone could EXPECT that.

17. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Be careful what you wish for...Dolphins got 400 yards passing, but the Pats got 517....Rivers may very well break Brady's record, but don't discount the notion Brady might also throw for more yards than Rivers and break his own record. Bottom line...the game will be a shoot-out between two of the best long-ball throwers in the league. I'm psyched for a great game.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Brady is not facing the dolphins again. I think the Chargers secondary is much better than the Dolphins. Lets not expect Brady to be walking on water every game...

• Like Like x 2
  19. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Come on, Conc! The Patriots got almost 200 YARDS last year against San Diego! Why would you expect anything but a repeat of their performance against the Dolphins last week?!?

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :roflmao:

21. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    If it weren't for us dreamers you might be chiseling your posts onto cave walls.

For what it's worth, I think the results of this game will be telling for both teams in so many ways. Strengths, weaknesses, and some serious coaching decisions regarding personnel...at least in the Pats camp....Ochocinco is still an unknown, and no team has a clue what to do about Ochocinco when he is on the field....he took six snaps and caught one pass against Miami and didn't get much time in the pre-season....his whole tenure in NE has been strange, and no one but the Pats inner circle knows what in hell is going on with him and his role on the team. But, I suspect this time next week he won't be a Patriot. Remember Randy Moss? He opened his mouth to the press after the first game, and he was gone a couple games later...he's still unemployed...same scenario? Maybe. I hope not, but there is a stench around the 85 situation. What in hell is Belichick thinking?

I'm really anxious to see what happens in this game....two well staffed teams going head to head...that's just great football.