1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers' Philip Rivers avoids offseason back surgery

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-back-surgery?campaign=Facebook_atn_wesseling

San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers has avoided surgery on the bulging disk that contributed to his late-season slide.

"At this point, the back injury is not requiring surgery," Rivers told KGB-FM radio, via ESPN.com. "We'll kind of revisit it in a month or so. But everything is improving. I'm back to my regular workouts and running around. ... I'm actually on the up and up. So I'm pretty excited."

The injury was severe enough that Rivers considered shutting down his season in December, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported at the time.

Once the Chargers' medical staff is confident that the injury is behind Rivers, the organization will work to ensure the 33-year-old's future in San Diego.

Due to reach free agency after the 2015 season, Rivers is acandidate for a contract extension in the coming months.

As long as Rivers is fully healthy, he deserves a paycheck commensurate with his status as one of the NFL's top half-dozen quarterbacks.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast breaks down the top 25 free agents and reacts to the latest news. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    When it comes to back injuries I don't like to see players F around, so I hope it really is something that can sort itself out.

This news makes me nervous. If he chooses wrong it could have a franchise wide ripple effect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Some acknowledgment for our guy being called a top 6 qb.

I like to see that. At least the majority of fanatics have come around to acknowledge the 1st tier of qbs isn't limited to 5.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I admit I'm a little worried as well just because so much is riding on that back.

Either way the team's plan about finding a protégé needs to be moved up a little bit I think.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You NEVER cut into the back unless you have to. Once that starts the player will never be the same.

Most back ailments do not require surgery. Broken or chipped discs, damaged discs that are impacting nerves are one of the exceptions. If Philip does not have any of those then he is making the correct decision.

6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    My favorite PFT response was the following turd:

Stupid circular argument re. Rivers.png

A) Even an actual circle isn't as circular as this petitio reasoning...

B) 3yardsndust figures he just "knows" more than the doctors that advise multi-million athletes...for no reason...

C) Other PFT posters "like" the dopey comment by 28-10 :rolleyes:

7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    At least Philip isn't a follower of Scientology.

8. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
  9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    While I don't know anything specific about Rivers' back issues, back surgeries in general are a crap shoot. Most orthopedists will tell you that back surgeries should be avoided if at all possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    Hope he plays well
    In the
    Last year they are in SD:mad: