1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

CHARGERS: Phillips has a Super goal in mind

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    SAN DIEGO ---- The training camp is different, but not the goal.

"We need to just finish what we started,'' Chargers linebacker Shaun Phillips said. "We started out on a track last year to get to the Super Bowl and we didn't get it. We want to stay on that path and make sure we finish it.''

Phillips often ends up in rival backfields, thanks to an explosive first step that former Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer compared to Derrick Thomas'.

But Phillips, in his third year as a starter, has grown from a situational pass rusher to an every-down player who isn't shy about lending run support.

"People that know football know that he is a good player,'' teammate Shawne Merriman said.

To a degree, though, it's Merriman ---- as well as Pro Bowl defenders Jamal Williams and Antonio Cromartie ---- who has been stealing Phillips' thunder. Despite the fact that he's collected 20 sacks during the past two years, Phillips is among the best NFL performers flying under the radar.

Think that riles Phillips? Think again.

"It don't really matter to me, because any time anyone on this defense shines, it's a reflection on me,'' Phillips said. "And when I shine, it's a reflection on them.''

While the spotlight usually finds Merriman, he said he's tired of hearing Phillips referred to as ''the other guy.''

"The problem is that people try to do too much comparison,'' Merriman said. "They can't just say he is a good player on his own, and he is a good player. But they are always bringing me into it ---- 'Is he overshadowed by me,' this and that. But it's OK to just say he is a good player, that he can go out and get things done.

"I'd rather have it be looked at as he can play ---- he's his own man.''

Phillips isn't about blasting his own horn. He doesn't brag about accomplishments or set stats he wants to achieve ---- he's set on making the Chargers more stout.

"There are no personal goals,'' said Phillips, who last year had a career-high 62 tackles as well as 8 1/2 sacks and two interceptions. "For me, my personal goals are all associated with the team. I know it sounds pretty cliched, but that's what being on this team makes you. It makes you do everything you can do to sacrifice to make our team better.

"Our philosophy, our goal, is that everything around here is team-oriented. That is the way we got to be, especially with a team full of superstars. If everyone has an ego ---- if Shawne Merriman has an ego, Jamal Williams has an ego, Antonio Gates has an ego ---- then we've got big problems."

There are few hiccups in Chargers camp.

The starting spots are basically set, the offensive and defensive systems are the same and coach Norv Turner has the awkward introductions behind him in his second year. The Chargers are loaded with playmakers on both sides of the ball, and there's a underlying confidence after advancing to last season's AFC title game.

"We feel like we have an all-star team,'' Phillips said. "But it don't mean nothing if you don't play team ball, and we talked about that. We got to make sure we stick together.''

Even if it means being stuck on the same goal.

Chargers notes

QB Philip Rivers, as planned, didn't practice during the morning session to keep his surgically repaired right knee fresh. ... Saturday's Chargers' FanFest at Qualcomm Stadium features practice at 11 a.m., with players available for autographs at 10 a.m. ... The San Diego Chargers Kickoff Dinner is Aug. 28 at Embarcadero South, behind the San Diego Convention Center. Tickets are $125.

Contact staff writer Jay Paris at jparis8@aol.com.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Embrace the hate. Phillips is a casualty of the attitude certain press people have about the Chargers. The press mostly refers to him as the other guy. He's like an underrated character actor in Hollywood or the guy who keeps popping up on those BBC things on PBS and A&E, who you remember from other shows as being really, really good but you can't quite place him. "What else did I see him in"?

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Embrace the hate. Phillips is a casualty of the attitude certain press people have about the Chargers. The press mostly refers to him as the other guy. He's like an underrated character actor in Hollywood or the guy who keeps popping up on those BBC things on PBS and A&E, who you remember from other shows as being really, really good but you can't quite place him. "What else did I see him in"?