1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers pick up running back Bennett, release linebacker Smith

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Nov 12, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Kevin Acee

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Chargers have claimed running back Michael Bennett off waivers and released linebacker Derek Smith.

The move is interesting since the Chargers have no immediate need for a running back. By taking Bennett, however, the Denver Broncos could not claim him.

Bennett, 30, was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Tuesday to make room for the return of Cadillac Williams. Bennett joined the Bucs last October and carried just seven times in five games.

He has 3,627 yards on 817 carries in eight NFL seasons. He was the Minnesota Vikings' first-round pick in 2001.

Smith was signed by the Chargers in February and started the first four games in place of the suspended Stephen Cooper. He had been inactive the past three games.

2. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Hallelujah!

Plus Bennett is not a bad player. And it f's up Denver. Very nice.

3. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    <yawn> maybe Bennett can rush the passer...

• Like Like x 1
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Why do we need another running back?

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    We'll be playing the Bucs... so it works. Smith was a waste of space anyways. And if Bennett can do anything at all on the field it'll be an added bonus.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    No Shiit!

Who the Frack cares if Denver picks him up.

:icon_huh:

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Geeze!!! We gave up a #2 for a guy that's now going to spend even more time on the bench. WTF?!!!

8. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    In AJ I Trust
    In AJ I Trust
    In AJ I Trust
    In AJ I Trust
    In AJ I Trust......I think :icon_sad:

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    We didn't give up squat for him. Got him off waivers.

10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    I guess he is referring to Hester.....

I had to think about what he was on about too, for a second.

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    We don't, Denver does.

Did you read the article?

I like it, Denver now has to resort to Tatum Bell.

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    The ramifications of that draft day move is not altered by this move.

Not picking up Bennett wouldn't have reversed time to make them not make that trade.

Do you like Hester or are you just using this move as an excuse to ***** about the trade?

(I didn't like the trade, myself, FWIW)

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    that's what we are resorting to? picking up scrubs they 'need'? How about learning to rush the passer or finding people who can help instead of wasting money on players we either won't use or will instead take up playing time for players we spend a high draft pick on (that's hester). Bennett btw isn't that good, either him or Bell doesn't freakin matter

14. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I don't know what to make of the trade since
    1) We don't seem to use him
    2) We seem to pile people on top of him
    3) We spent a second rounder that right now looks rather crucial to rebuilding our defense
    4) we gave that frakking 2nd to the frakking patriots!!!

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Why is it an either/or situation?

Does picking up Bennett to spite Denver prevent them from learning how to rush the passer? :icon_huh:

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I like how you somehow managed to spread 2 points out into 4 points.

2-4 here are essentially repeating each other.

Any rate, I agree with your post here, but I don't see what it has to do with this move.

Hester's spending alot of time on the bench already, what makes you think he'd be used if we didn't pick up Bennett?

17. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I was hoping KGB had some gas left in the tank and that A.J. would at least bring him in. I remember he "was" a beast. Emphasis on "was".....

18. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    CHARGERS CLAIM MICHAEL BENNETT
    Posted by Michael David Smith on November 12, 2008, 6:01 p.m.

The San Diego Chargers have added another running back, claiming former Tampa Bay Buccaneer Michael Bennett on waivers.

At first blush, that wouldn’t seem to make much sense: The Chargers have LaDainian Tomlinson as their starter, Darren Sproles is having a good season in relief of Tomlinson, and they spent this year’s third-round draft pick on Jacob Hester.

But Adam Schefter of NFL Network points out the real reason the Chargers claimed Bennett: They want to keep him from the Broncos. Denver is desperate for help at running back, and with the Chargers a game behind the Broncos in the AFC West, San Diego is desperate to keep Denver from improving. The Broncos and Chargers both put in claims on Bennett, but since the Chargers have a worse record, the Chargers get priority.

This isn’t the first time the Chargers have made a waiver claim solely to stop a division rival from adding a player. In 2002, the Washington Redskins waived Deion Sanders from the reserve/retired list. Sanders had wanted to come out of retirement to join the Oakland Raiders during their playoff run, but the Chargers claimed Sanders to keep him from the Raiders.

That, of course, was particularly galling to Sanders, because the reason he retired from the Redskins in the first place was that he didn’t want to play for then-Redskins coach Marty Schottenheimer — who was the Chargers’ coach when San Diego claimed him.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/12/chargers-claim-michael-bennett/

19. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    So long, Derek Smith...no real loss there.

Re: Bennett - How big is this guy and can he run between the tackles?

If nothing else, we may have stuck one in Shanahan's ear and forced him to take Tatum "I thought it was my bag" Bell.
    Keep an eye on your wallet and car keys, Mike.

Go Chargers!!!

:flag:

• Like Like x 1
  20. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205

Best and most honest post of the week.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    5'9", 207 ...or 25 lbs heavier than Sproles....with speed. Still not sure why we need him.

22. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    From the dONKEY blog!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chargers claim Bennett to keep him from the Broncos?
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...chael-bennett/

The San Diego Chargers have added another running back, claiming former Tampa Bay Buccaneer Michael Bennett on waivers.

At first blush, that wouldn’t seem to make much sense: The Chargers have LaDainian Tomlinson as their starter, Darren Sproles is having a good season in relief of Tomlinson, and they spent this year’s third-round draft pick on Jacob Hester.

But Adam Schefter of NFL Network points out the real reason the Chargers claimed Bennett: They want to keep him from the Broncos. Denver is desperate for help at running back, and with the Chargers a game behind the Broncos in the AFC West, San Diego is desperate to keep Denver from improving. The Broncos and Chargers both put in claims on Bennett, but since the Chargers have a worse record, the Chargers get priority.

This isn’t the first time the Chargers have made a waiver claim solely to stop a division rival from adding a player. In 2002, the Washington Redskins waived Deion Sanders from the reserve/retired list. Sanders had wanted to come out of retirement to join the Oakland Raiders during their playoff run, but the Chargers claimed Sanders to keep him from the Raiders.

That, of course, was particularly galling to Sanders, because the reason he retired from the Redskins in the first place was that he didn’t want to play for then-Redskins coach Marty Schottenheimer — who was the Chargers’ coach when San Diego claimed him.

23. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    People. Stop. Please.

The move makes sense.

-Bennett knows the tampa offense. we play Tampa.

-Bennett now doesn't get to help the Broncos. We play the Broncos (and we hate them)

-Bennett has been a productive player in the league (and he's fast as hell!); we need productive runners right now.

-DEREK SMITH WAS A WASTE OF FUC|KING SPACE.

Why such an uproar over this? Not like there was anyone out there to help with the Defense anyway.

-Oh yeah, also... we suck right now. Maybe Bennett can help us 'un-suck'? :icon_shrug::lol:

• Like Like x 2
  24. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Im not in a uproar, just a head scratcher imo. Sproles isnt hurt and also imo he doesnt get enough touches.

We dont play Tampa Bay til Dec 21st so imo....irrelevent.

I dont think keeping him from the Bronco's is a world beater great strategy. He hardly played in Tampa and isnt the same player he used to be.

However......maybe he can help us, but i just dont see what he has that Sproles doesnt except for 25 more lbs.

25. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    marry him

26. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    hahahaha mature.:tup:

27. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Good move. I heard this dude can run fast. I think I remember around 2001, that my friend (who's a Bucs fan) was very hyped about bringing this dude in because he ran a 4.31 at the combine. Maybe use him on ST's? :icon_shrug:

Oh and I hate denver.

28. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This is just a tactical move to limit Denver's options. I think the benefits are just a tad dubious. We could have dumped Smith and activated Brisbane off the practice squad for all the good this will do us or for all the difference it will make when we play Denver or the Bucs. Maybe AJ is acting out of spite for Denver.

29. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Lick his taint.