1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers play for strength in numbers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Casey Pearce
    Posted Oct 16, 2009

With the anticipated return of Travis Johnson and the addition of Ian Scott, the Chargers’ defensive line is expected to be at it’s strongest since losing Jamal Williams in the season opener.

Chargers defensive lineman Travis Johnson[​IMG] watched two weeks ago in Pittsburgh as Luis Castillo[​IMG] gutted out 64 plays, Jacques Cesaire[​IMG] 45 and Alfonso Boone[​IMG] 48, it made him anxious to get back on the field.
    “I felt bad because if I had been in there, our rotation would have been better,” Johnson said. “If I had been healthy it would have helped everybody.”
    Johnson is expected to return to the lineup Monday night when the Chargers host the Broncos. He, along with recently re-signed defensive tackle Ian Scott[​IMG], will lighten the load on their fellow defensive lineman and hope to help increase the unit’s production.
    “I’m not sure we have a situation where we want a guy playing 50 plays,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “If we can get a rotation where guys are playing 20-25, they’re fresh and we’re using the guys we have in the best way we can, that’s going to be the best scenario for us.”
    More available bodies should mean not only a more ideal workload for the group, but also more optimum use of their individual talents. Alfonso Boone, a more natural defensive end, has been forced to play inside a lot the last couple of weeks to spell nose tackle Ogemdi Nwagbuo[​IMG]. Johnson can play both end and nose tackles, while Scott will play mostly nose tackle.
    “Ian gives us a big, stout, physical body that gives you the leverage to get underneath those centers,” defensive coordinator Ron Rivera said. “We’ll have Travis in the rotation at both spots. They’ll help us.”

High praise

Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner coached the North squad at the 2004 Senior Bowl and got to know Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton well that week, and Turner’s brother Ron was Orton’s offensive coordinator in Chicago for five seasons.
    Coming into Sunday’s game, Orton has thrown seven touchdown passes and just one interception, which came last Sunday on a Hail Mary at the end of the half. Turner is hardly surprised at the success Orton is having.
    “He’s doing about what I thought he would,” Turner said. “He’s managing games. He’s awfully quick with the ball. He’s very accurate with the ball. He’s running their system. He’s got a group of talented guys to get the ball to and he’s doing a great job getting it to him.”
    Chargers Defensive Coordinator Ron Rivera spent three seasons in Chicago and also thinks highly of the sixth-year pro.
    “The one thing I’ve always liked about Kyle is his game presence and the way that he manages the game,” Rivera said.

Injury update

Linebackers Stephen Cooper[​IMG] (knee) and Antwan Applewhite[​IMG] (hamstring) missed Friday’s practice. Wide receiver Kassim Osgood[​IMG] fully participated after missing Thursday. While teams generally list the status of their players on Friday, the Chargers won’t do so until after Saturday’s practice due to the fact that they play on Monday night.
    For Denver, running back Correll Buckhalter worked for a second-consecutive day after missing last week’s game against New England with an ankle injury. Linebacker Spencer Larsen (shoulder) was the only Bronco who didn’t practice.

Milestone approaching

With two touchdowns in Week 4 in Pittsburgh, tight end Antonio Gates[​IMG] now has 53 on his career. He needs just one more scoring catch to tie former Carolina Panther Wesley Walls for fourth place all time among tight ends.
    Tony Gonzalez holds the NFL record for touchdown catches by a tight end. He has 78.

2. scottbbo1

scottbbo1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    With the anticipated return of Travis Johnson and the addition of Ian Scott, the Chargers’ defensive line is expected to be at it’s strongest since losing Jamal Williams in the season opener.

Chargers defensive lineman Travis Johnson watched two weeks ago in Pittsburgh as Luis Castillo gutted out 64 plays, Jacques Cesaire 45 and Alfonso Boone 48, it made him anxious to get back on the field.
    “I felt bad because if I had been in there, our rotation would have been better,” Johnson said. “If I had been healthy it would have helped everybody.”
    Johnson is expected to return to the lineup Monday night when the Chargers host the Broncos. He, along with recently re-signed defensive tackle Ian Scott, will lighten the load on their fellow defensive lineman and hope to help increase the unit’s production.
    “I’m not sure we have a situation where we want a guy playing 50 plays,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “If we can get a rotation where guys are playing 20-25, they’re fresh and we’re using the guys we have in the best way we can, that’s going to be the best scenario for us.”
    More available bodies should mean not only a more ideal workload for the group, but also more optimum use of their individual talents. Alfonso Boone, a more natural defensive end, has been forced to play inside a lot the last couple of weeks to spell nose tackle Ogemdi Nwagbuo. Johnson can play both end and nose tackles, while Scott will play mostly nose tackle.
    “Ian gives us a big, stout, physical body that gives you the leverage to get underneath those centers,” defensive coordinator Ron Rivera said. “We’ll have Travis in the rotation at both spots. They’ll help us.”

where's Vaughn Martin?

3. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Not ready I guess, he better be ready come next year cuz we are gonna need him!