1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers players among those griping about play-calling

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Critter, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Now the players are not happy.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20061003-9999-1s3chargers.html

Martyball – or is it now Camball? – has returned.

No one is happy.

Only Keenan McCardell is really saying so publicly, which should endear him to the thousands of Chargers fans who are beside themselves over Sunday's 16-13 loss in Baltimore and too many like it under Marty Schottenheimer.

But be certain about this: Not a soul at Chargers Park is pleased.

Many players, including McCardell, pointed out there are 13 games to play, which might be precisely the point.

Three games into a season that was supposed to be different, there is concern it might be the same old same-old. And that, as LaDainian Tomlinson said Sunday, has gotten old.

Team President Dean Spanos, whose decision it ultimately is to keep or dispatch Schottenheimer, isn't talking because “it's too early” to officially address his head coach's status.

General Manager A.J. Smith, whose issues with the head coach are well-chronicled, is making vague statements that are certainly not ringing endorsements, but neither are they ultimatums.

“Coach Schottenheimer is the head coach of the 2006 Chargers,” Smith said in response to a question about whether he was concerned about Schottenheimer's conservative coaching style. “At the end of this season we will review everything, as we always do ... He was hired to do a job, and that job is to coach the team in the manner that he deems proper.”

Spanos is on record saying he expects his team to go deep into the playoffs.

To make the playoffs – where, by the way, Schottenheimer's struggles are epic – most everyone acknowledges a team must win close games en route. Since 2004, Schottenheimer's record in games decided by seven or fewer points is 8-9.

Smith was asked if there might be a coaching change before the end of the season should the Chargers continue to lose close games.

“I don't anticipate any changes,” he said. “We are under way for '06. But if we do decide to make a change, we'll let you know. Making a coaching change during the season is not at the top of my list now. The 2007 college draft is.”

As for Schottenheimer, he and offensive coordinator Cam Cameron might be the only guys in the building not to entirely trust quarterback Philip Rivers.

Asked yesterday whether he lacked confidence in Rivers, Schottenheimer balked.

“I have complete trust in him,” said the coach, who approved a sequence of play calls that had Rivers throw just once in the third quarter Sunday.

However, Schottenheimer was asked later if Drew Brees were still the quarterback would Sunday's play-calling have been different and would he have been willing to take more risks?

“I think that is a fair assessment,” he replied. “We're not asking Philip to do all the things we asked a five-year veteran to do.”

Among the red-state leanings by Schottenheimer was the fact the Chargers ran five of the nine times they had third-and-4 or longer. Schottenheimer attributed most of the play-calling decisions to poor field position.

But field position did not explain the time the Chargers ran on third-and-6 from the Ravens' 24. It also did not explain the time they started at their 40 and ran three straight plays before punting. Running three straight times after having first-and-20 at the 20 was a little curious as well. So, too, was there reason to question the fourth-quarter decisions to run from the Ravens' 41 on first down and again from the 35 on second-and-20.

What is especially perplexing is why the usually innovative Cameron would be so docile. Schottenheimer sets the tone for the play-calling, but Cameron calls the plays. And the head coach, who does not permit the media to speak to his assistants, said that on Sunday he interceded just once.

Advertisement
    Schottenheimer pointed out idiosyncrasies in the Ravens defense that made the Chargers think some of their runs might pop for more yards. But they didn't.

After the game, Ravens linebacker Bart Scott said this to the Baltimore Sun: “I'm glad (Schottenheimer) stuck with his game plan, because that Rivers kid could play.”

While Schottenheimer said yesterday that Antonio Gates did need “more opportunities,” it is also debatable whether Schottenheimer and Cameron even remembered their All-Pro tight end or McCardell, who owns one of the surest pair of hands in football.

McCardell, a veteran who does not spout off accidentally, had his streak of 104 games with a reception end Sunday. Not only did he not catch a ball, he had none thrown to him.

“I'm a little (ticked off) right now,” McCardell said. “ . . . It's different when you get no balls than when you get no attempts, no play calls. You can only do what you can control.”

Oh yes, this is one fuming 2-1 team. It is not anarchy. It is a calm, simmering sort of anger. But it is palpable. People are flummoxed and hoping the present course of action is halted immediately.

Gates has just 10 receptions in three games, his lowest total in a three-game span since 2004. He also has gone two games without a touchdown reception.

“Yes, I want to do things offensively,” Gates said. “But I look at the mirror first.”

Rivers, too, takes some blame. He knows he missed Vincent Jackson for an almost-certain touchdown in the fourth quarter. His first intercepted pass of the season set up the Ravens' first touchdown in the first quarter.

“With what's been called to this point we should still be 3-0,” Rivers said. “That said, I feel confident we can throw it more and still do what we need to win. Any quarterback loves more opportunities to throw. But the ones I've got, I've still got to make.”

But Rivers played fine on Sunday. He was 9-for-14 in the first half, 4-for-8 in the second. He missed badly on, maybe, four passes.

He played it cool when told of Schottenheimer's comments about how things would have been different if a veteran QB had been under center. But he was clearly crestfallen and then a little angry.

“My hope is there isn't a lack of confidence or trust,” he said.

What Schottenheimer does absolutely trust is his defense, still ranked atop the NFL in yards allowed. His job might not be secure. But because of a unit that has allowed just 184 yards a game, Schottenheimer is secure in how he's doing his job.

“I assure you the better defense we have, the more you'll see of, quote, Martyball,” Schottenheimer said. “It's resurrected itself a little bit. I can't walk out of a game in which we only threw the ball one time in the third quarter and say it isn't back.”

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,882
    its time for a mutiny

3. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Here is a quote from Canepa......

"While the conservatism of Martyball – one pass in the third quarter? – may not directly have cost the Chargers a win (one of those botched field-goal tries would have been enough), it contributed to defeat. The play-calling was borderline ludicrous, at best abysmal." - Nick C

It is unbelievable to me a grown man does not recognize his shortcomings.

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    This has the potential to get ugly and I think Rivers actually has MORE pressure to make perfect throws in the few opportunities he gets.

5. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Marty is like a mentally challenged kid who slaps you really hard on the back and then you look back in anger but can't do anything about it just because..

6. anger management

anger management Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6
    FCUK MARTY!!!!!!!!!!

YOU'RE KILLING THIS TEAM'S CHANCES WITH YOUR EXPIRED "MARTY BALL" YOU PIECE OF CHIT!!!!!!

:bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    :bolt: I like Marty !!!!:bolt:

8. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Who would pick him up? Tennessee?

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,882
    New Orleans so he can be with Brees :icon_rofl:

10. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    You know, I really don't like this situation. This is the kind of crap that happens in Oakland. Mutiny, players losing trust in the staff. The end of the year, if we didn't do anything, then yes, it's time to find a new coach. But not 3 weeks into a season. I can't handle that sort of bad situation.

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The San Antonio Chargers ?

12. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

GOD, I LOVE THIS MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_banana:

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

AJ is the **** !!!!!!!

14. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    SAVE US AJ !!!!

EXPEL MARTY TO THE BOWELS OF HELL !!!

15. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,882
    We'd have to lose two-three games in a row by Marty playing not to lose in games like the Baltimore game for Marty to be fired. but seriously Schottenheimer is killing his chance of being resigned every single time he has a game like this

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,727
    I hate Marty.

17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Me too!!:tup:

18. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23

I am tired of his shtick.

He has a defeatist type of game management style.

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Well we are in the minority it appears. :icon_shrug:

I think these guys just start this **** almost the same way I started **** over Drew Brees being a liar and run out of town.

Marty is good for the force.

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,879
    Marty isn't going anywhere right now but he has his sights on the SB. I know I'll be one happy Bolt fan when we win it this year.

21. Flea Soda

Flea Soda BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    If the Coaches listened to the fan's we'd be stuck with Mike Williams and Robert Gallery right now..

They don't care, and they are professionals..

If Rivers threw more, everyone here would be griping about how Ed Reed took back 2 passes for TDs!

22. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    If we storm the castle and burn the coaches office, then I'll light the match.

If we expel Marty to the bowels of hell, then I'll pull the lever to flush him.

Marty says the problem was execution. I'm in favor of that too .....

23. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Seems like Marty has gotten the team to where everybody believed he could.

But only 25% of people seem to think that Marty can take the team farther.

Guess we're about to find out.

24. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    That's why knee-jerk reactions are not solutions.

This is why balance is important. Whether you are talking about football game plans, human emotions, whatever.

Having Balance = Best road to success.

25. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +610
    Thank you Mr. Miyagi :lol:

Actually I agree, I don't think most guys here want Rivers to throw it 30-40 times a game, what I want is a balance attack and 1 pass in the 3rd quarter is not a balance attack

having said that, I'm not of the opinion of firing him this early in the season, that would only make thing worse, but if we miss the playoff due to some close losses because of Martyball, then yes, fire his ***

26. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    [​IMG]

Let's storm Frankenheimer's Castle !!!

27. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Marty is a RAIDER KILLER AND A GOD !!!!

28. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

Wait I thought AJ was God! I've been worshipping the wrong person :icon_huh:

29. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If AJ tried to fire his *** but failed and AJ is god then ........ :icon_eek: