1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers postgame

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Nov 21, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Source: <a href="http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/11/21/sports/professional/chargers/112005203303.txt" target="_blank">North County Times</a>

By Jay Paris

Key stat 4 Number of Drew Brees TD passes.

Turning point

When Lorenzo Neal scored on a 2-yard pass before halftime it built the lead to 28-3, too much for young Bills QB JP Losman to overcome.

Next game

+ at Washington Redskins

+ 10 a.m. Sunday

Quotable

"Maybe times are a changing.''

---- Brees on coach Marty Schottenheimer ditching his conservative ways.

WHO'S HOT

Drew Brees

Would have to put his fingers in a campfire to have a hotter hand.

WHO'S NOT

Bills' defense

Shuffle off with its chin residing on its chest.

INJURY REPORT

+ TE Antonio Gates (foot)

+ TE Justin Peelle (shoulder)

AILING GATES

The Chargers received some initial good news regarding Antonio Gates' injured right foot when X-rays didn't show a break. Today should tell more, but the Chargers are hopeful they won't lose their All Pro tight end for an extended period.

"He's a tough guy and I'm sure he will bounce back,'' Brees said.

Joked DT Jamal Williams: "He's all right. He's an offensive player, a softie. No, I spoke to him after the game and he is all right.''

Maybe so. But Gates, the team's leading receiver, exited the locker room on the back of a cart.

A SPECIAL TD

FB Lorenzo Neal caught a 2-yard touchdown pass in the first half which brought a ray of sunshine to what had been a cloudy 72 hours.

One of Neal's daughters suffered some serious medical problems before Friday's practice, which Neal didn't attend. His teammates and coaches ended the workout on a knee, praying for her health.

"She is doing a lot better,'' said Neal, who politely declined to elaborate on her condition.

A SPECIAL RECOVERY

LB Randall Godfrey played his first game since his sister was murdered on Oct. 31. He admitted it wasn't easy.

"This was the hardest game I ever had to play,'' he said. "I was crying before the game. I kind of kept it in, but I couldn't help but let it out right before kickoff. There was so much emotion because I'm so used to talking to my sister.''

Godfrey recovered a JP Losman fumble and gave the ball to equipment manager Bob Wick instead of a game official. Godfrey said the ball will likely go to his 4-year-old nephew who lost his mother.

N.Y. STATE OF MIND

The Chargers, if nothing else, are the New York state champions. They swept the three New York teams by a combined score of 124-59 this season. They defeated the Giants 45-23 and the Jets 31-26 before pasting the Bills.

KEEPING SCORE

The Chargers have 300 points on the season, averaging 30 a game. At this pace, they will break the club mark of 468 set in 1981.

The 478 yards the Chargers collected was their second highest of the season.

With the Bills having but 202, it was the most yards the Bolts had outgained an opponent since 1992 when they had 398 to the Colts' 99.

QUICK HITS

< Drew Brees' 339 passing yards were the third-highest of his career and gives him seven 300-yard games. His 84.8 completion percentage was second-highest in team history. Brees holds that mark of 88 percent, set last year against the Raiders.

> Chargers RB Michael Turner scored his first NFL touchdown.

< The Chargers' inactives were LBs Steve Foley and Ben Leber, OL Roman Oben and Cory Lekkerkerker, WR Vincent Jackson, TE Ryan Krause and DE Derrick Robinson.