1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers prepare for old friend

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Other than seeing a bunch of familiar faces during his film study the past few days, Falcons running back Michael Turner says that this week hasn’t been much different than others.

“I’m not feeling anything right now,” Turner said. “But I know once I get in that stadium, it’s going to be a weird feeling.”

In four seasons with the Chargers, Turner rushed for 1,257 yards on 228 carries, an impressive 5.5 yard-per-carry average. He signed with Atlanta this offseason and has more than proven himself to be a full-time running back.

Heading into Sunday’s game, Turner ranks third in the NFL with 1,088 rushing yards and leads the league with 13 touchdowns, including four in last week’s key AFC South win over Carolina. Turner has been one of the key reasons that Atlanta is in the middle of a heated divisional race a year after going 4-12.

“We felt like we had to get us a running back that could carry the load,” first-year Head Coach Mike Smith said. “He was a big part of what we wanted to do offensively. He’s been outstanding.”

During his time in San Diego, Turner certainly showed he had the talent to be a full-time back, but playing behind LaDainian Tomlinson limited his opportunities. While many players of his merit may have complained or grown unhappy in their reserve role, Turner always handled his situation with class.

“It wasn’t too bad because I had a great bunch of guys around me,” Turner said. “Plus we were winning. I understood my role and just tried to help out where I could.”

That attitude was one of many attributes that attracted the Falcons to Turner. In addition to the unique physical skills Turner brought to the table, Atlanta knew they were getting a team-first player.

“I think the thing that says a lot about Michael is Michael accepted his role; waited his turn,” Smith said. “When he got opportunities, he produced. I think people in the league took notice.”

Turner says he tried to stay true to himself throughout his tenure with the Chargers. He worked hard and spoke softly, and he believes the same approach has helped him enjoy the success he’s had in his first year as an NFL starter.

“I’ve just been me,” Turner said. “I’ve gone out there and played hard. I don’t know what outside people expected of me, but I know what I expected of myself. I just wanted to go out there and be productive.”

Tomlinson said Wednesday that he’s looking forward to being on the opposite sideline from the guy he regularly refers to as his “little brother.”

“I saw (Turner) come in and saw him grow up from being a snotty-nosed rookie to being a vet now and possibly a Pro Bowler,” Tomlinson said. “He would always ask questions because he wanted to learn to be a good pro. I’m happy for him.”

During his four years in San Diego, Turner certainly gave Charger fans plenty of good memories. In 2005, his 83-yard touchdown run in Indianapolis helped seal a Chargers win over the previously unbeaten Colts. A year ago, his 73-yard run in Denver put the icing on a much-needed win over the Broncos after the Bolts had started the season 1-3.

Turner said this week that he believes he’ll receive a warm welcome from Bolts fans today. When he thinks back to his days with the Chargers, Turner said he’ll remember the people more than certain moments.

“I don’t have a specific game moment or anything like that,” Turner said. “I just remember all the guys I went to battle with, went through training camp with and things like that. That’s a good bunch of guys. It’s going to be fun playing against them.”

Castillo, Gordon return

Defensive end Luis Castillo, who missed Sunday’s game against the Colts due to a groin injury, was back on the practice field Wednesday. Castillo was limited in practice, as was cornerback Antonio Cromartie (hip). Cornerback Cletis Gordon, who has missed two games due to a bum knee, was a full participant Wednesday.

Three Chargers did not practice Wednesday. That group included fullback Mike Tolbert (shoulder), defensive end Keith Grennan (leg) and defensive tackle Jamal Williams (rest).

Nice work

Turner praised his club Wednesday for the way they worked during their first practice in preparation for Atlanta.

“Our guys had good energy today,” Turner said. “I think there were a lot of things in that game that they feel real good about. Obviously the finish isn’t one of them. I think we have a lot of guys in that game on both sides of the ball who probably played their best game of the year.”

The Chargers will follow their regular schedule Thursday morning. Turner cancelled meetings so that the players can enjoy the holiday afternoon with their families.

Back on top

After throwing two touchdowns and no interceptions against the Colts Sunday, Philip Rivers is again the NFL’s highest-rated passer. Arizona’s Kurt Warner took that distinction from Rivers for one week, but the Bolts’ signal caller is again on top with a 103.3 rating.

• Like Like x 2
  2. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    He's going to break adrian peterson's record isn't he? :unsure:

*sigh*

• Like Like x 1
  3. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    Hmmm, I wonder how MT will like that comment by LT....

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We better be ready to hit him hard & wrap up or he's gonna kill us. I want to see a lot more of the Siler/Dobbins/Waters group in the middle this week. MT will run right over Coop & Wilhelm.

AND START GORDON OVER CRO!!!!!!

5. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I still like theBurner very much. I'm happy LT and MT are
    looking forward to a friend's meeting. But nevertheless we
    wanna have a win.

6. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    gotta agree w/ that.

7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    those two are good buddies... i'm sure it looks worse in print that it sounded :yes:

i'm happy to see burner doing so well - just not this weekend! :D

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Welcome to San Diego Mr. Turner. I hope your stay here with us is filled with many bumps and bruises, and a long and frustrating afternoon accompanied by lot's of pain. :bolt::flag:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hit him early, often, and hard. :icon_evil:

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'm with you bro, Rebel Yellllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tup: