1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers' problems start with lack of Merriman

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Nov 13, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-744/Chargers--problems-start-with-lack-of-Merriman.html

2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I don't buy it. The Giants are missing Osi and Strahan, and their defense is playing BETTER then they did last year. The difference is that they have a great schemer as their DC, and we had Coattails. Let's see how this defense plays once Rivera has had a chance to flush out Ted's crap.

3. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I wouldn't neccessarily say it is that either. What we had in my own opinion in a couple of non athletic players clogging up the middle and a couple a very athletic outside rushers. We contained the outside and held ground on the run up the middle. The Giants have the players to get the push up the middle along with the outside rush. Olshansky, Castillo & Williams just don't have that get, to the QB moves the way the Giant players do. That's why we were so good at stopping the run. The outside rushers forced the runner inside were those 3 were waiting. Without Merriman demanding 2 players and still applying pressure on the QB, well, we've all seen what those extra 2-3 seconds will get you. Personally (I haven't studied the film) I think the pressure is on our front 3 to now get to the QB instead of holding ground and that is creating the holes for opposing RB's to get their yardage against us. Without the likes of a Merriman, it glaringly shows just how weak we are up the middle at getting to the QB.

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  5. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    I buy it!!!.......We are not other teams, its like comparing apples to oranges or looking at stats in which variables change every year. I believe the team should have been able to compensate for the physical loss of Merriman playing but he is the heart and soul of the defense which is contagoius to the offense.

Coach McGinty what is it going to take to get back into this game. "Heart,miles and miles of heart"

• Like Like x 1
  6. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    When the loss of one player, no matter how important of a player, kills your season, you were not that good of a team to begin with. This is even worse when that player is a linebacker. We should be able to withstand the loss of Rivers and LT and still be competitive. No, I think they are using Merriman as an excuse for poor play.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    You are right and it doesn't change the fact that there should be more emotion on the team. The team has no leadership!!!!!!

And it goes to show what people going to the games have been saying about the team being sluggish on the field and looking like they don't want to play.

IT SUCKS!!!!!!!

8. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    They are who we thought they were. :icon_tease:

9. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...There's very little fire and even less leadership on this team. Lately even Philip starts moping when he makes mistakes. We already know that L.T. will sulk when things go badly...so a leader needs to step up. Did you see Drew Brees light up Shockey when he missed a blocking assignment and then dropped that pass. This team needs someone to kick some arse, AND NOW!!

10. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    I totally agree. I was hoping Castillo, Phillips or Igor would step up and get the D fired up but it hasn't happened. Plus if it hasn't happened by now it's not going to. But then again look how fired up the D was against New England. I can't figure the D out right now. :icon_huh:

• Like Like x 1
  11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Its then part on the coaches for sure for not compensating or making adjustments for the loss of merriman but seriously what does this say about all the other players that their 'intensity' seems to disappear completely due to the loss of one individual?

Frankly this is a clusterfrak across the board and both coaches and players are to blame and frankly all need to be held accountable

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I aint buying it. I don't believe AJ is either. Merriman is a force no doubt, be he isn't the whole defense. I know team's have to game plan for him but we still have quality players out there on the field.

We have decent defensive speed and why it isn't being used is beyond me. Our blitz package has all but vanished and QB's are having time for tea in the pocket. I'm hoping RR was holding back against the Chef's and will un-leash the dog come Sunday against the Stillers.

13. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    Merriman should not be the whole defense but at this point IMO it seems he was because no one has stepped up this year to be the HEART AND SOUL of the DEFENSE. As prevoius posts state which I believe to be true the offense which has played ok feeds off the defenses success and the offense has their own set of problems with leadership.

Look at all the takeaways from last year where the offense was allowed back on the field to score........not happening there appears to be frustration all around and no one person or persons are stepping up to fire the team up. SO FAR!!!!!!!!!

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Dude we were decent before Merriman arrived! Now you trying to feed me that we can't play without him?????? If that's the case then we don't belong in the elite status.

I'm sorry but if our D revolves around one guy we're screwed. Take that for what's it's worth. I'm sorry, I don't buy it.

15. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    AND WE LET 'EM OFF THE HOOK!

16. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Sure looks to me like we don't belong in elite status.

17. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    Proof is in the pudding.....but I am not saying it should be this way but somethin aint workin!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If someone on either side of the ball can't step up you are right we are screwed.