1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers QB could enter open market

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Nov 4, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Jun 29, 2009
    Source: <a href="http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1131000725145690.xml&coll=1" target="_blank">The Star-Ledger</a>

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Chargers quarterback Drew Brees said yesterday he doesn't believe both he and Philip Rivers will be in San Diego next season, making it appear Rivers could be the odd man out, a move that could attract attention from the Jets.

Brees, a fifth-year pro, was slapped with the franchise tag this season and wants a long-term deal. He may get one if he leads the Chargers (4-4) to another playoff appearance.

Rivers, Redskins quarterback Patrick Ramsey and the Falcons' Matt Schaub are also among the players on the Jets' short list as they search for a veteran to challenge Chad Pennington in training camp next summer. They could also draft a quarterback.

Asked if he thought he and Rivers would both be in San Diego next season, Brees responded in a conference call: "Oh, heck no. It doesn't make any sense. Crazier things have happened. I'm not going to say that it won't happen. But let's be logical about the whole thing."

If Brees is made available, the Jets could go after him, although he would cost them much more than Rivers, who has a $615,000 base salary in 2006. The Jets would have to sign Brees to a new deal.

Jets coach Herman Edwards called Brees "a very good quarterback. I don't think he gets credit for how he plays because there's a runner (LaDainian Tomlinson) and tight end (Antonio Gates) that make so many big plays."

John Abraham, the Jets' three-time Pro Bowl DE, could be used as trade bait in acquiring either Rivers or Brees.

"I've heard talk about everything in the last two years," said Brees, who has completed 63.2 percent of his passes for 1,829 yards, 13 TDs and seven INTs this season. "Any talk anywhere doesn't really surprise me anymore.

"I think Chad Pennington is a great quarterback. Obviously he has had his run-ins with the injury bug in the last year, but I don't pay attention to that situation. I just know that if I do my job here, then hopefully I'll be here for a long time. That's what I want to do."

Meanwhile, Brees was careful not to provide the Jets with any bulletin-board material after losing three straight to them, including two last season, one in a wild-card playoff game.

"Obviously we all know what has happened over the last few years," he said. "They have kind of had our number. They beat us three times in a row down here, maybe it's time we went into their home and beat them."

Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer said he spoke to his team about the subject yesterday morning but downplayed it.

The Jets announced that SportsNet New York, the television network the Mets are launching next spring with Comcast and Time Warner, has signed a three-year agreement to be the local broadcast home of the Jets as well.

Beginning in April 2006, SNY will potentially boast 8 million subscribers and will telecast more than 230 hours of Jets-related content. It'll be available throughout New Jersey, according to John Litner, president of SportsNet.

Jets president Jay Cross said the club is looking at 15 to 20 locations for the team's new training complex in New Jersey. He said it'll be at least two years before the club is ready to move its operations across the river.

Pennington was voted as the having the weakest arm of any starting quarterback in the NFL in a poll of more than 300 players, according to the current issue of Sports Illustrated.

WR Justin McCareins (Achilles'/calf), Curtis Martin (knee) and Vinny Testaverde (Achilles'/calf) are listed as probable and practiced. S Oliver Celestin (knee) is out. ... The Chargers have eight players, all starters, listed as questionable, but most are expected to play. ... The Jets signed WR Craig Bragg, who was released by the Packers on Tuesday, to their active roster and are expected to sign DT Matt McChesney to the practice squad.