1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers QB Rivers has street named after him

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Deb, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255
    Chargers QB Rivers has street named after him

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Chargers QB doesn't forget his roots in the Valley [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Before there was officially a Philip Rivers Drive, there was unofficially a Philip Rivers Sideline.[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
    [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Philip Rivers Drive - technically, it'll be called Victory Drive for one more day - is beside Athens High School. Philip Rivers Sideline is at Ogle Stadium in Decatur. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Athens football coach Allen Creasy, who will be driving across Philip Rivers Drive on his way to the Golden Eagles' fieldhouse each day, vividly recalls the days of walking Philip Rivers Sideline while he was an assistant at Decatur High in the early 1990s.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"I just remember Philip running up and down that sideline," Creasy said. "He was always thinking about the game, always working the officials. When I was a kid and my dad was a coach, I was in the end zone playing cupball." [/FONT] [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The 26-year-old Rivers, of course, is now playing NFL football in San Diego. The former Pro Bowler begins his third season as the starting quarterback for the Chargers later this month, having led them to 25 wins in the last two years.[/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]On Saturday at 11 a.m., his high school alma mater will name one of its campus streets after him.[/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]For his father, Steve, who coached Decatur while his son wore out a brown patch between the between the 30s - and beyond - and also coached him at Athens, it's simply another surreal experience from the last decade. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"It's all kind of been hard to believe," Rivers said of Philip's rising star, which began in 1998 when he started at QB for Athens, continued through four banner years at N.C. State and culminated with his being the No. 4 overall pick in the 2004 NFL draft.[/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"As a father, you have a lump in your throat during all of these experiences he's had. To come back to Athens and have them do this for him ... you just can't believe it." [/FONT]

-- Huntsville Times

2. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    This is teh awesome. I heard this first from APRF, Teresa. She is waaay psyched. Thanks for putting up this article.

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This oughta prep his soul for the season a little more.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    She needs to do some recon and get us a picture of the street sign.

5. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I thought Philip Rivers Drive was in Denver?

Oh, it's just what he DOES there. My bad.

• Like Like x 1
  6. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    THE GOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Predict A Star On The Walk Of Fame Before It's All Said And Done...

:cool:

7. AthensPhilipRiversFan

AthensPhilipRiversFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +331
    will be there in the morning with 2 cameras, the cell phone and the video!

everyone seems really excited.

Philip is also the guest at tomorrow nights Legends Banquet, a fundraiser for the Athens High Booster Club. Lee Vickers, another Athens graduate, will also be there.

Unfortunately, :no: I won't be at the banquet. Tickets were a $100 each and there's no way all 4 of us can afford to attend...so I did the only thang I could do....I'm staying home like the hubby and our girls. If all of us couldnt go...none of us will be going.

The street naming is open to the public so will for sure be there. Wouldnt miss it for the world. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  8. AthensPhilipRiversFan

Ratings:
    +331
    THE NEWS COURIER
    Published July 07, 2008 05:45 pm - Athens High School will honor former student and quarterback Philip Rivers by naming one of the campus streets Philip Rivers Drive.

AHS changing street name to honor former QB Philip Rivers

ATHENS July 07, 2008 05:46 pm

— Athens High School will honor former student and quarterback Philip Rivers by naming one of the campus streets Philip Rivers Drive.
    The naming ceremony will be 11 a.m. Saturday and the public is invited to attend this event.
    The street, currently named Victory Drive, is directly south of the AHS football stadium. The unveiling ceremony will take place on the lawn of the stadium in front of the new street sign.
    Later that evening, Rivers will be the guest speaker for the Second Annual Legends Banquet at the Beasley Center of the First United Methodist Church. The event will begin at 7 p.m. Information and tickets are available by contacting the school office at (256) 233-6613 or www.athenshighschool.org.
    Philip Rivers is currently the starting quarterback for the San Diego Charges of the NFL. Since he became the starting quarterback in 2006, River’s 25 regular-season wins are tied with Indianapolis’ Peyton Manning for the second-most in the NFL. They are three wins behind Tom Brady of the New England Patriots.
    Rivers has posted an impressive 25-7 record as a starter, including an astounding mark of 15-1 at home. Rivers led the Chargers to the playoffs in each of his two seasons as the team’s starting quarterback. His stellar play in January helped the Chargers pick up their first postseason victories in 13 seasons as they advanced all the way to the AFC Championship Game.

Copyright © 1999-2008 cnhi, inc.

__________________________________________________ ___________
    THE NEWS COURIER
    Published July 08, 2008 06:20 pm - Baltimore Ravens tight end Lee Vickers will join his former Athens High School teammate Philip Rivers at the Second Annual Golden Eagles Legends Banquet.

Vickers attending AHS banquet

Baltimore Ravens tight end Lee Vickers will join his former Athens High School teammate Philip Rivers at the Second Annual Golden Eagles Legends Banquet.

Originally signed as a rookie free agent by the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2006 to play defensive end — the same position in college at the University of North Alabama.

Vickers then singed with Philadelphia and spent more than a year with the Eagles before joining the Baltimore Ravens in 2007.

Last season he saw action in nine games, including two starts — pulling in a pair of passes for his first-career receptions for four yards — in his first season with the Ravens.

The Ravens describe Lee as athletic and a tough player with outstanding size. At 6 feet 6 inches and 275 pounds, he excels at run blocking.

Lee was a star cornerback at Athens and helped lead them to the state playoffs for three straight years from 1997-99.

He also earned All-County honors as a punter, while serving as the back-up quarterback to Rivers.

After pitching for the Calhoun Community College baseball team — he sported a 96-mph fastball and played under former major league outfielder Gary Redus — for a year-and-a-half, Vickers took a job as an electrician for a year-and-a half before enrolling at UNA in 2002 as a walk-on quarterback.

He never took a snap at quarterback as he ended up playing four years as a defensive end.

The Golden Eagles Legend Banquet will be at 7:00 pm at the Beasley Center of the First United Methodist Church.

For more information or to purchase tickets, call the school office at (256) 233-6613 or visit www.athenshighschool.org.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Nice hearing from ya! Make sure those pics get posted here.

Don't be a stranger. :icon_toast:

10. AthensPhilipRiversFan

Ratings:
    +331
    THE HUNTSVILLE TIMES
    Athens High to rename campus street for Philip Rivers
    Posted by Keith Clines July 08, 2008 11:27 AM
    Categories: Sports
    ATHENS - Athens High School will honor one of its most famous graduates, pro football quarterback Philip Rivers, by renaming a street on campus in his honor.

The school Saturday will rename Victory Lane south of Athens High School Stadium Philip Rivers Drive to honor the former Golden Eagle and current San Diego Chargers quarterback.

Athens High School Principal Chris Bolen said that Rivers is "a fine human being" deserving of the honor.

"Philip had a really nice career here at Athens High School," Bolen said Tuesday. "He's been a solid role model for our students."

The unveiling ceremony will be at 11 a.m. Saturday on the stadium lawn in front of the new street sign. The public is welcome.

Rivers will also be the guest speaker Saturday night at the Athens High School Booster Club's second annual Legends Banquet. The banquet starts at 7 p.m. at the Beasley Center at First United Methodist Church.

Information and tickets for the banquet are available by calling the school at 233-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

11. AthensPhilipRiversFan

Ratings:
    +331
    PART OF HUNTSVILLE TIMES ARTICLE:

Steve Rivers also has another player of his own at home. Philip's younger brother Stephen is a sophomore at Austin High and is expected to be the team's starting quarterback this fall. At a smidgen over 6-foot-5, Stephen is an inch or so taller than his famous brother.

It's led to more surreal moments for Steve, because he coached at both Decatur and Athens, two rival schools of Austin. He's also got two former assistants - Creasy and Decatur's Jere Adcock - as the head coach at those schools.

"We weren't sure what we wanted to do as far as school, but this is where we live," said Steve, who moved back to Decatur a couple of years ago after spending six years coaching in North Carolina.

"(Stephen's) got a chance to be something - he sees the field real well - but he'll take some lumps. It's going to be fun watching him."

Whether that leads to another street sign change, only time will tell.

Contact Bill Bryant at bill.bryant@htimes.com

12. AthensPhilipRiversFan

Ratings:
    +331
    THANKS....i havent been around in a long time. i read, just didnt have the inclination to post. Life's dealt some rough blows and I've been concentrating on that.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Pics or it didn't happen

:D

14. AthensPhilipRiversFan

Ratings:
    +331
    [​IMG]

and i love my hubby!!! we're going to the banquet. girls had other plans...and he says we're going!

took a buncha pics and some video. just no time to upload them all. but HERE'S YA SIGN

• Like Like x 1
  15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Hdey Sweet Thang!! :) :wave:

Hope y'all're doin well out y'alls way :)

16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Thanx for that, Darlin. looks great!! :tup:

17. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Awesome!!!!

Thanks for the shot APRF!

My son approves!

18. AthensPhilipRiversFan

Ratings:
    +331
    just got home....gotta NICEEEEEEE athens autographed football in a silent auction (the hubby was being a major sweetheart tonight!!) and working on uploading some pictures and video now. will defintely share as soon as all are edited and uploaded.

teresa

• Like Like x 1
  19. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Awesome, awesome, AWESOME! :icon_toast:

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    TEEEERRRRRESA!!!!

How is you is! Ready to see yer boi hoist a Lombardi!?!?

21. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Outstanding, darlin'!

Hmm...wonder if the t-shirt experts can work something up with PR's picture and that street sign...:icon_toast:

22. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Now that is a beautiful Street sign right there. I would love to walk down Philip Rivers drive any day. If I were there. Yeppers.

Thank you Teresa for sharing. It is much appreciated.

23. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    dude, theres no other way to describe that other than bada$$. he better be hella amped for this season after this, no joke, can you say SUPER BOWL?? :yes: :abq2:

24. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    photoshop him into the sky or something, like a really cool action photo of him but make him kinda blending in with the sky? ill se what i can do.

[​IMG]

BAM there it is :D

25. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Phillip Rivers Drive should be the name of the main avenue into Invesco Field at Mile High.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    That is great that you got to attend the banguet. :abq1:

Thanks for sharing, we look forward to those pics and video, so don't welch on us.

:lol:

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

Hey, Teresa, we've missed you around here!! :yes: Thanks for alla the "inside" scoop from Athens!

28. AthensPhilipRiversFan

Ratings:
    +331
    LOL luvin that photoshop!!

i'm uploading now...tween washing clothes and cooking sunday supper. but i'm gettin it...slowly but surely!

29. AthensPhilipRiversFan

Ratings:
    +331
    Street naming at Athens High July 12, 2008

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]