1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers-Raiders preview

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 5 hours ago

San Diego isn’t banking on its recent string of victories against Oakland translating into a win Sunday. The Chargers will have to fix some road mistakes to reach 3-2.

SAN DIEGO – Flip a coin.
    Whether it lands on heads or tails, when you flip it again, there will be a 50 percent chance it lands on the opposite side.
    It may get to, say, 13 heads in a row, but the 14th time is no more likely to come up heads than any other flip.
    Although the Chargers would like to think they have better than a coin flip chance to win when they kick off their NFL games, San Diego knows its odds of beating Oakland on Sunday aren’t boosted by its 13-game win streak.
    “To me, any streak is a one-game-at-a-time deal,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “We’re a lot different team than we were a year ago and they’re a lot different team.
    “We’ve had tough games up there the last couple years. We’ve barely gotten out of there alive and I know our guys know what kind of game it’s going to be so we have to prepare for that.”
    But 13 games is one-sided, especially in a division rivalry. The Chargers can tie the Patriots for the best division streak in the NFL with a win. New England beat Buffalo for a 14th-consecutive time earlier this season.
    Some players have never lost to the Raiders. Philip Rivers[​IMG] admitted a certain pride in having never lost to Oakland but acknowledged that every game stands alone.
    “We’ve got to go up there with the right mindset, which we will have, and we need to play well in order to get our first division win,” Rivers said.
    To do so, they’ll have to beat a Raiders team that pushed the Chargers last year, including a 24-20 win San Diego had to squeeze out during the final minute of the season-opener. Oakland (1-3) again has suffered some excruciating losses this season, dropping a one-point game to the Cardinals and then seeing a comeback attempt fall a touchdown short against the Texans.
    “We’ve had an opportunity to win a lot of games. But in this league, the fourth quarter decides so much,” Raiders Head Coach Tom Cable said. “I think you have to be confident and settled playing in those three-to-seven-point games all the time.”
    Injuries have mounted for the Raiders, who listed seven players as “out” on the Friday injury report and four others as questionable. One of them, Darren McFadden (hamstring), accounted for 554 yards of offense in four games. Michael Bush likely will be in line to absorb his carries.
    Tight end Zach Miller leads the team with 22 receptions and 278 yards, but Louis Murphy and Darrius Heyward-Bay have posted numbers similar to Chargers receivers Malcom Floyd[​IMG] and Legedu Naanee[​IMG]. Brad Gradkowski has taken over for Jason Campbell at quarterback.
    “We seem to score a few more points now,” Cable said. “This team continues to do some things better and better each week and the question is, when can we put it all together and be where we want to be?”
    Although the Raiders say they don’t concentrate on the 13-game losing streak against the Chargers, the game’s circled by virtue of its place in the AFC West.
    “The Chargers have been winning the division and that’s a team we need to beat,” Gradkowski said. “The Chargers are a good football team so we’re going to have to bring our ‘A’ game and we’re going to have to play four quarters.”
    San Diego expects that kind of game.
    “What jumps out at me is their speed. They fly to the ball, so we need to go up there and play better than we have on the road in order to win,” Rivers said. “We know how this league is. They’ve been a couple plays here and there from being right there in it as far as the division goes.”

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I'm only worried about 1 match up, and thats Zach Miller vs Paul Oliver.

I think this defense is tremendously underrated and can keep Michael Bush under 75yds, their WRs are crap, their O-line is worse than Arizona's, and their entire coaching staff could qualify as legally retarded. We just got to watch out for their speedsters on special teams and I can't see this team scoring more than 1 TD all day.

Chargers win this one easy, 28-10

• Like Like x 1
  3. mainstayjames

mainstayjames BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    I think I peed myself a little.

Chargers win 34-13. Shaun Phillips gets 2 more sacks.

4. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Chargers win 38-6, 250+ passing yards, 200+ rushing yards (a lot in garbage time), and Phillips gets 3 sacks