1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers - Randy McMichael

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

July 30, 2010

This is one of the most greatest additions to the Chargers offense that hasn't gotten enough attention out there in the media.
    If you look at Randy McMichael's stats over his career, he's a absolute beast. He averages 52 receptions for 571 yards a year as a 16 game starter. His best season as a pass catching TE was from 2004-2006. In 2004, he had 73 receptions for 791 yards. In 2005, he had 60 receptions for 582 yards. In 2006, he had 62 receptions for 640 yards. He did all that with Gus Frerotte, Daunte Culpepper, Joey Harrington, A.J. Feeley, and Jay Fielder trying to throw the ball to him. Imagine what he can do with a QB like Philip Rivers throwing the ball to him.
    I'll be bold in saying that McMichael's attributes to the passing game could be as good as Antonio Gates. McMichael can be lined up as a TE, a split TE, or even as a WR as the picture that I've chosen for this slide would indicate.
    The reason why McMichael is such a great addition to the Chargers has a lot to do with the pace of the offense not changing. With the Chargers trying to keep Gates as healthy as possible, the Chargers can afford to give Gates adequate reps during the game and put in McMichael without changing the pace of the game. The Chargers NEVER had a TE that can do anything similar to what Gates can do. With McMichael in the lineup when Gates is on the sideline getting rest, Rivers can continue to expose opposing defenses as if Gates never left the field. That's what McMichael can bring to the Chargers offense.
    Just think, the Chargers could run a offensive formation that is hardly seen in the past couple of years and that's the double TE formation. It'll be very interesting to see what Norv Turner will be able to do with these guys on the field. Having both Gates and McMichaels on the field who will be too fast for most LB's and to big for most CB's to cover.

Sounds good on paper...:tup:

2. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    ..."one of the most greatest additions.."

I've been scratching my head over that sentence. We have other "most greatest additions"?

Anyway, I'm excited about the guy also and kinda like that there hasn't been much publicity in this signing.

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Damn what if they take Sproles out, leave Mathews in and send Tolbert out in Sproles spot. Just a thought.

4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    All I can say is that I was at this afternoon's training camp and McMichaels can move and catch. There might be something to this...

Pointy :icon_twisted:

5. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I stopped reading after "most greatest"

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    it's kinda like giving 110% :icon_huh:

7. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    It's a grammatical nightmare and I don't care what the article has to say if they can't properly edit. :shrug:

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    JL, you keep posting this Bleacher Report BS & I'm going to be forced to kick you square in the nutz.

[​IMG]

:icon_tease:

9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    This was an unnecessary signing. We drafted Eps and just extended Gates.

10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    It made my head hurt just reading that.

11. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Perhaps McMichael was an "insurance" signing if Gates has continuing issues with his foot. More likely, he was viewed as an undervalued talent that could compete for the #2 or #3 tight end spot on the roster. Assuming Gates continues to look as good as he did at Saturday afternoon's practice, then McMichael, Kris Wilson and Epps will be battling for 2 roster spots. I don't see a downside here, there 80+ guys trying to make the roster and only 53 are staying. Let's get the best people we can in here and keep the last men standing