1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers re-sign Gates

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Mar 5, 2006

SAN DIEGO -- The Chargers are securing playmakers for quarterback Philip Rivers.

The Chargers kept Antonio Gates in the fold, agreeing to terms with the tight end on a two-year contract. The team also will sign Cleveland Browns wide receiver Travis Benjamin once the free-agency window opens Wednesday afternoon, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter, confirming an NFL Network report.

Gates tweeted about staying in San Diego after the deal was announced.

Antonio Gates ‏@AntonioGates85 3h3 hours ago
    Happy to remain a @Chargers . My intentions have always been to retire in San Diego . No place I'd rather be. Best Fans and organization.

While Gates is returning, the Chargers are set to lose another tight end.Ladarius Green is expected to agree to a deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers, a source told Schefter.

Chargers general manager Tom Telesco indicated before the start of free agency that the team wanted Gates, who will be 36 in June, to retire a Charger.

Benjamin fills a void in San Diego's offense for a deep threat created by the retirement of Malcom Floyd. TheMiami product also serves as a potential playmaker in the Chargers' return game. San Diego averaged a league-low 4.2 yards per punt return in 2015.

Benjamin, 26, picked the right time to have his best season. He totaled a career-high 68 receptions and 966 yards in 2015, which ranked second on the Browns. Benjamin also had five receiving touchdowns.

Before 2015, Benjamin was mostly used as a situational receiver. He earned a starting job in training camp prior to last season and never gave it up, starting 15 games and setting aside the concern that he was too frail at 175 pounds to play every down.

His speed is his forte, as he also excels as a punt returner. His average of 12.6 yards per return ranks first in the NFL since he entered the league in 2012. He is one of seven players with three punt returns for a touchdown in that time, and he holds the Browns' record for punt-return yardage in a game (179 in 2013) and longest punt return (93 yards in 2012).

Benjamin tore an ACL in 2013 and took almost the entire 2014 season to regain confidence in the knee.

Travis Benjamin enjoyed his best season in 2015, establishing career highs in receptions (68) and receiving yards (966). Scott R. Galvin/USA TODAY Sports
    Gates missed four games at the start of last season because of a suspension, and another contest due to an MCL knee sprain. He played through pain during the second half of the year and still produced, finishing with 56 catches for 630 yards and five touchdowns.

With 104 career touchdown receptions, Gates is seven away from tying Tony Gonzalez, the NFL's career leader in touchdown receptions for tight ends. Rivers and Gates have connected on 77 touchdowns during their careers in San Diego, the most in NFL history for a quarterback-tight end tandem.

Gates is the all-time leader for the Chargers in receptions (844), receiving yards (10,644) and touchdown catches.

He has played a full 16-game season in two of the past three years and since 2012 has missed just two games due to injury. He played 463 offensive snaps in 2015.
  2. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Dec 14, 2006
    Sucks that we groom Green to replace Gates and then he is bolting to Pitt. But- in a lot of ways Green really was a disappointment last season. Injuries, drops, can't get open. He had a huge chance to take over and dominate and he choked it away. I am left wondering if Green will ever string together a season where he can stay on the field. Oh well, not our problem any more.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Jul 10, 2006
    Really glad to see Gates retained, even at the expense of losing Green - as pointed out, lots of size & speed, but so far has failed to live up to potential despite ample opportunities.
  4. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Sep 8, 2014
    Yea gates
  5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Aug 14, 2006
    Green never really panned out, I'm not sure who's fault that is but I'm tempted to blame McCoy and Reich more than anyone else.

He's fast, he's tall, he breaks tackles pretty well, but he's a weak route runner and a very bad blocker. He doesn't really seem like the Steeler type to me. I expected him to go to a place like Chicago or New Orleans.
  6. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Feb 20, 2010
    The problem with green is .... he isnt clutch like he needs to be. There were many times when he was open and just dropped it, but on the other hand he does have the potential to be a big play TE, he'll flourish next year because he'll be option 3 or 4 in pitt. He wont strike fear into defense's, so next year will be interesting.
  7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Aug 12, 2006
    The other thing about Green is his propensity for concussions. He's the kind of guy who could be out of football in less than 2 yrs. I wish him good luck but I agree with many above, he never really delivered on his apparent ability.
  8. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Aug 19, 2008
    I agree with the whole dropping of balls at the most inopportune time thing, kid could have been a contender...
  9. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

May 7, 2011
    He made an excellent choice by going in a division instead where the defenders have proclivity for staying away from hard hits. I mean, the Ravens and the Bengals! What p*ssies they are :eek:
  10. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Apr 8, 2015
    I specifically called for the team to draft Ladarius Green before that draft ever began. I thought he had great potential to be an elite receiving TE for us.

But the reality is that after several seasons, Green never really became the player I thought he would become. He cannot be considered a draft pick miss as a 4th round draft pick, but he was not a steal either.

He's just a guy. He does some things well and other things not so well. We all know what those things are both good and bad.

Green had his opportunity with us and he could not beat out an old and aging and in decline Gates as the primary receiving TE. That is not the fault of coaching. That is the fault of Green.

He is just an average TE on the whole. I think PIT fans are going to crap a brick when they see Green trying to block if they are hailing him as the replacement for Heath Miller.

I tend to prefer the team to keep its good players and I am not critical of Telesco for apparently not making Green a big priority in terms of keeping him.

I think Telesco has had a good start to free agency this year with Benjamin, Mebane, Barksdale and Gates all being good signings/re-signings.

Uniquely, it seems like Telesco is the Bret Saberhagen of GMs--sucking in his first and third years and then doing a much better job in his second and 4th years (with the fouling up of the Weddle situation counting as a year 3 happening).
  11. Chargefwd

Chargefwd BoltTalker

Dec 9, 2013
    Blitzy... You are funny!