1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers' real problems aren't Norv or A.J.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By NICK CANEPA
    October 12, 2009

SAN DIEGO -- With the 5-0 Broncos coming here Monday night for a moment of truth or consequences with the 2-2 Chargers, we find ourselves in the throes of a Big Game Week. But the local lads are afflicted with mental and physical football influenza, and Denver doesn't appear to be the designer med of the moment.
    The Chargers, now expected by torch-toting angry villagers to be the Packers of the '60s, the Steelers of the '70s, the 49ers of the '80s, the Cowboys of the '90s and the Patriots of the 2000s, are sitting in a pot of water in this town, and it isn't lukewarm. Some anger is justified, but most of it is founded on emotion and the hatchet-thinking that every defeat calls for a Spanish Inquisition.
    Just remember, a loss Monday night doesn't end their season. Another AFC West title, probably. Their final game is Jan. 3.
    I know what's on your minds.

The coach

Norv Turner could go unbeaten, win the Super Bowl, pull people out of burning buildings and find a cure for cancer and the villagers still would drag out the guillotine. I wonder if he can win here – even if he wins. Like Marty Schottenheimer, Norv may not be popular until fans can't stand his replacement.
    Having done nothing to warrant the label, Turner isn't a great head coach. But how many are? One? Bill Belichick? At least Norv has gone 12-2 in his Decembers and Januaries with the Chargers.
    Turner constantly is criticized for not being a cheerleader. These are professional athletes who should be capable of policing their own emotions. I constantly point to nice-guy Tony Dungy. Basically emotionless. Won a Super Bowl. He had Peyton Manning.
    Start broken record: The only true geniuses in football are the great quarterbacks. How good was Mike Holmgren without Brett Favre, Mike Shanahan without John Elway, Belichick prior to falling into Tom Brady? Norv has Philip Rivers, who hasn't won anything either, but he's an elite quarterback, which means his team always has a chance – as long as he's ambulatory.
    Turner's slow starts are more bothersome than his record. He should come out in a no-huddle, two-minute offense to get his team's blood circulating. It doesn't have to be daring. Do something. It's not risky, and Rivers is a master at running it.
    Even if a back hasn't found a hole since the offensive linemen last sprung for doughnuts, there must be a way to run when the Chargers throw it the way they do. Spread it out, open things up. Not every team has five Hall of Fame linemen. It's easy to say LaDainian Tomlinson is finished. I won't. How can we possibly know? He's a fish on the deck.
    Turner isn't perfect, but look around. Most of Norv's contemporaries better be able to swim if they plan to walk on water. He's 2-2, folks. It's October. I got an email the other day saying Bill Callahan should be the next Chargers coach. Sigh. That's what I'm up against.

The General Manager

A.J. Smith took some outside and inside heat last week, when he said he was embarrassed by what happened in Pittsburgh, adding his team could be physical one minute and soft and bewildered the next.
    That's what honesty gets you. Players not embarrassed by that performance had to be blindfolded. Smith's the boss. If he wants to speak out, that's his right, and I hope he continues. He's not a baby sitter. Nor is he without fault.
    My problem with A.J. is that he hasn't done nearly enough during recent offseasons to address the offensive and defensive lines through free agency, trade or the draft. Because that's where games are won and lost, which is why the Giants are the best team right now. Smith's guys have been getting pushed around, and that's insulting.
    But, remember what it was like before he took over. I know it isn't easy, but don't write me saying the late John Butler built this team. It's Smith's club, almost 100 percent. His players have won three straight division titles, four of the last five.
    So he's a tough guy. So he has an ego. You can't be good at what you do if you think you stink.

The defense

THE problem. It all begins up front, where Jamal Williams and Ryon Bingham are missed. But injuries happen, and it doesn't mean replacements have to get knocked on their kiesters. Nor does it mean professionals need tackling lessons in October.
    Coordinator Ron Rivera promised an attacking style we have yet to see. If you're going to lose, lose through aggressiveness, not passivity. The defense is playing scared.
    If Denver pushes these guys around, it's time for Smith to find people willing to fight all 10 rounds and kick out the tomato cans.
    Got another email yesterday informing me the Chargers would be 4-0 if Marty were coach. Maybe. But they'd finish 0-1 in the playoffs. Which do you prefer?

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I don't get why people feel the need to bring Marty up when discussing the head coach.

It's not like Marty and Norv are the only two options to coach this team.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Cause most feel that Norv was a step backwards and we'd be better off had we kept Marty.

The players do too and it's easy to see. When they talked about Marty, they said it with excitement and entheusasium.
    When they speak about Norv, they're biting their tongue.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Hey look, more "facts" you can't prove.

:lol:

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I get that. I really do. But that doesn't negate the fact that they're not the only two options.

Just because Marty would be better than Norv doesn't mean it serves a purpose to say we should have him.

A lot of these guys that are screaming that we should have Marty here and "we would be 4-0 if we still had Marty" are the same people I was arguing with a few years ago telling me that Marty is too conservative and that we'll never win anything meaningful with him cuz he sucks in the playoffs.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Go to youtube and watch some interviews. Either way, you'll still deny it.

You might want to stop following me. I mean you post more about me than the Chargers!

7. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I'm supposed to look up YOUR proof?

:icon_rofl:

You are the best debater ever. Like a master even.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Burden of proof lies on the person making the claim.

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Tell that to AJ.

Who knows where we would be if Marty were still here or if he'd still be here today. But I'll bet you that if we let him finish his contract and decided to let him go after the 2007 season... Norv wouldn't be our HC!

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    You say this like AJ fired Marty and Norv was hired the next day.

Dean Spanos interviewed other people as well. They just made a poor choice in the end.

Anyways, my point is we can argue that Norval needs to be fired without looking at the past and pining over BS that behind us and what-ifs.

Who cares about what-ifs? Norv is our coach and what's done is done. There's nothing we can do about it so crying about what-if serves no purpose. All that matters is, barring any kind of miracle Super Bowl run, Norv needs to be fired.

Let's look forward, not backwards.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Why don't you go find some "proof" to back up your "facts" and get back to us.

Oh ****, that's right, YOU CAN'T.

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    is that a fac...Aww screw it, is no longer fun to point out how predictable you are :tdown:

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Nobody can read minds but you can tell by the way they are talking if they really mean what they say or not. If I provided recent interviews and interviews from the past, you're just going to deny it and you know it.

Go roll around in your slop, alone.

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Want proof? Start by asking your boy, Osgood.
    Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about either.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I'd love to give him a call but I don't have his phone number.

Like Leo said, since when is it the responsibility of everyone OTHER THAN YOU to provide any proof whatsoever to back up YOUR "Facts"?

Let me make this CRYSTAL CLEAR for you: Post proof of your accusations or retract. Do you understand what that means? I'll spell that out for you too, just in case: It means, when you post something claiming it to be factual, you should provide the necessary information to support said claims. OH wait, are those words small enough for you? Lemme make it even more simple because they probably are: Please post links to support your post, or simply acknowledge that your post is your opinion and nothing more. Oh ****, acknowledge is a pretty long word, it means "to recognize as genuine or valid". Wait. Do you know what recognize means?

• Like Like x 1
  16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

"Also, Osgood was critical of coach Norv Turner last season. Still, if San Diego trades Osgood, it will have to fill the void he would leave on special teams."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/tag/.../kassim-osgood

The page on what he said is no longer active but Osgood was asked if Norv was a good head coach. His reply was "Norv Turner is a good offensive coordinator" and he was asked again, he replied with the same answer.
    He also said something about Norv not getting this team to the fullest potential.

This was on 5PM news w/ Kyle Kraska. People posted about it in here too. So don't act like you don't know.

17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    We really need LT to make one of his magical speeches and ignite a turnaround.

:lol:

• Like Like x 1
  18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    As I've said a trillion times "only Spanos can give someone a pink slip or add someone to payroll but don't tell me that AJ had nothing to do with this decision."

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I never said he had nothing to do with the decision but in the end it's still not his decision.

20. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Not Found: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/tag/.../kassim-osgood
    The URL you requested does not exist, but you may be interested in the content below.

lol, try again

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
  22. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
  23. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Sorry but that article is BS.......Its a contradiction first he says No one would be happy with Norv no matter what and then he says he doesn't agree with AJ not making moves to reinforce both lines. Typical look for something to print for people to read crap.

What a bunch of BULL!!!!!!!!!!Shite!!!!!!!!!!!

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

What ever but the truth is there. You know it happened cause it was posted in the forum when it happened.

Your filth awaits you (and just you)... now go play!!!

25. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    This is just a ridiculous statement, Canepa.

Yet still no ring.

He's criticized for producing a soft team. If his team won consistently no one would care if he was the Pilsbury Dough Boy.

So, what's your point?

That's because the Ws & Ls do not tell the whole story here. The Titanic was still a beautiful vessel for at least an hour after it struck the iceburg.

No argument here but the defensive problems started WAY before Jamal and Bingham went down.

No argument here.

26. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551

I agree 100% the fault is on the players right now.

Although, if these coaches were actually good at COACHING, the players wouldn't have such horrible technique on the lines.

And if AJ had focused on our lines ealier we might have a decent backup for Jamal, and Clary wouldn't still be our starting RT. We've all known for years Jamal was on borrowed time, and still AJ ignored it. Not to mention he still hasn't even made a half *** attempt at finding a successor for to the LT throne. Waiting till the 4th and 5th round for guys he places on the practice squad, who of course get snagged by other teams.