1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers release 21 players

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Sep 2, 2006.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FireReich #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +854
    http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/chargers-release-21.htm

Wide receiver Greg Camarillo appreciated the concern of those close to him, but he began to get a bit annoyed Saturday morning as his phone continued to ring with friends and family wondering if he’d made the Chargers’ 53-man roster.

“I didn’t sleep at all last night,” Camarillo said. “I tossed and turned and was wide awake by 7 a.m., sitting by the phone hoping that it wouldn’t ring. It rang a lot, but fortunately, the call that I didn’t want to get never came.”

Camarillo was never summoned to Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer’s office, which signified that he had survived the last round of cuts Saturday as the Chargers trimmed their roster. So did wide receiver Malcom Floyd, cornerback Cletis Gordon and offensive tackle Cory Lekkerkerker.

“You stop and think at this time of the commitment that these players have made; the time, effort and energy that they’ve put forth in pursuit of their dream,” Schottenheimer said. “It’s a special day for those guys. It’s always a pleasure to see them accomplish what they’ve set out for. The challenge now is for them to continue to develop and help us win football games.

Those that weren’t as lucky as Camarillo and company included offensive tackle Jeromey Clary and defensive end Chase Page.

“We had some very difficult decisions, particularly when it comes down to the last ones,” Schottenheimer said. “With the quality of veteran talent and depth that we have on our football team, we knew it was going to be difficult for some of our late-round draft picks to make the roster.”

On the offensive side of the ball, the Chargers also released wide receiver Ricky Bryant, running back Larry Croom, quarterback Brett Elliott, fullback Jonathan Evans, tight end Kelly Gregory, running back Tyronne Gross, offensive tackle Ben Johnson, center Nick Mihlhauser, wide receiver Robert Ortiz, running back Ray Perkins, and guard Wes Sims.

“It’s never a good day for me, but you understand that it’s something that has to be done,” Schottenheimer said. “You try to make it as comfortable as you can for the young men involved. I have some experience with it because I was released three times.”

Defenders that were waived included linebacker Akbar Gbaja-Biamila, cornerback Steve Gregory, safeties Andre Lott and Mitch Meeuwsen and defensive tackle Alvin Smith. Veteran safety Hanik Milligan was also released.

“He really just wasn’t a good fit,” Schottenheimer said of Milligan. “He wanted to play defense and we weren’t comfortable with him out there. That limited our options with him.”

Four players who spent all or most of the 2005 season on the Bolts’ practice squad made the team’s 53-man roster. That list includes Floyd, Lekkerkerker, Camarillo and defensive tackle Ryon Bingham. Gordon was the only undrafted free agent to make the squad. Last year, Marques Harris and Derreck Robinson made the team as undrafted free agents, and both players are back on the 2006 roster.

The Chargers are may begin to sign players to the thier eight man practice squad on Sunday.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,476
    I think is bullshit we sacked Perkins and kept someone like Marquis Harris. Harris will NEVER play behind Merriman,Phillips, Cooper, Wilhem, Godfrey, Foley or even Edwards, lol

I dont like having only 2 RB's goin into the season godforbid Tomlinson or Turner goes down.

3. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    I called the Milligan release :icon_mrgreen:

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    We have Pinnock as a third back......

I like being deep on the line "just in case"...you can never have enough quality BEEF in reserve......and they do put their hands down as a 4th lineman so they are BEEF to me.

5. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Actually I called it before anyone. Way back in '04. :D

Of course, he made the roster a couple times in-between...

6. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Yes you did, but it wasn't a huge surprise.

7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Hey, we released a probowler, "Milligan". Wonder who picks him up?

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The Saints.....then they get two ProBowlers in Brees and Milligan:)

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    That would suckass ..... he needs a cap in his *** again....wait that was Kiel....:lol:

10. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Talk about high stress.

11. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Harris will play especially next season when Edwards ,Godfrey are both gone. Perkins was a tough cut ,he looks like a good player but behind LT and Turner he would never see the field.

12. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    He struggles spelling his name no worries.