1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers Release Downtown Stadium Plan

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by reddenedbeard, May 20, 2010.

1. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
  2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don;t see anything getting done without a very strong possibility of being on a 4-5 years SB rotation. That will be the selling point for the $500mil in public financing. Without the SB, that will really put a dent in the ability to pay back the bonds.

Plus the proposal calls for the NFL to pay $100 mil. I doubt the NFL pays a penny if they don't plan to put a SB in SD every couple years

3. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
  4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    [​IMG]

If they build it... I will come.

literally.

:icon_shrug:

:icon_party:

• Like Like x 1
  5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    good, as long as you don't mispell "come" :icon_eek: (and if you do, don't tell us about it :lol: )

6. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
  7. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I thought the NFL wants more than 70k seating for superbowls at a minimum.. Unless there is more to it than the commish has said. Unless the 62k is expandable (ie: folding seats) .. ;)

8. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    i wonder if the suite occupancy is accounted for in the 62k?
    either way i don't think the nfl would want SD to build a stadium that would not meet the needs of a SB. the nfl loves SD for the SB and especially if the stadium was downtown.
    whatever, i just hope it happens. bein' a traveler to games, i love the idea of stay'in in the lamp and walk'in to the games. although i feel the pain of the tailgater, somehow i bet those fans will figure it out.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The majority of voters are going to focus on the term "public funds" & vote a resounding no.

They'll be at the Q until they're gone if this is the best that the ownership can come up with.

10. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    perhaps, but i would imagine the issue would'nt see the ballot if it didn't have a decent chance of passing. the early polling would help determine if it was even worth the hassle.
    from wiki on the public funding source (Tax Increment Financing):
    TIF is a tool to use future gains in taxes to finance current improvements (which theoretically will create the conditions for those future gains). When a public project such as a road, school, or hazardous waste cleanup is carried out, there is often an increase in the value of surrounding real estate, and perhaps new investment (new or rehabilitated buildings, for example). This increased site value and investment sometimes generates increased tax revenues. The increased tax revenues are the "tax increment." Tax Increment Financing dedicates tax increments within a certain defined district to finance debt issued to pay for the project. TIF is designed to channel funding toward improvements in distressed or underdeveloped areas where development might not otherwise occur. TIF creates funding for "public" projects that may otherwise be unaffordable to localities, by borrowing against future property tax revenues.

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    To bad most of the public are morons. They think the city is paying for a stadium and just handing over the keys to the Chargers. If the facts are presented to the people, the Chargers will be renting the stadium for the city, and the city will have the ability to rent it out to who ever they want during the off season, plus the city will be able to sell the Qualcomm site land to offset the cost, and it will save the city the $17 mil a year they are losing on Qualcomm right now. Every sign says it if financially smarter for the city to build it, than to let the Chargers walk. But the people will not see the facts, and will look at it completely twisted, which menast he Chargers will be playing on LA by 2020

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    There is quite likely a reasonable compromise that can be struck where the proposal will pass. I'm just not at all sure that many will listen beyond the 500 million sound bite. It grabs your attention.

The battle is very much uphill. I wish us all good luck, but I'm withholding any jubilation.

Syd - were you at the last meeting w/Fabiani?

13. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Public funds? From SD? During this immigration ordeal? G-Luck!!

One last attempt from the organization before it makes plans to leave....

14. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    pft! Public financing...

Denverbolt, the land around Qualcomm is close to invaluable with the massive terminals next door. Unless a refinery/terminal wants to move into that toxic mess, the county will not be able to recoup the losses from selling Qualcomm. TIFs ARE a sham, speculation for the sake of financing with very little to no accountability. They were designed to encourage development in UNdeveloped areas, not places like Downtown SD. Actually, current California law mandates this. And still the state operates at $28.5 long-term debt in TIF diversion funds.

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Invaluable is a newly discovered Rembrandt. Worthless is the word you're looking for. Demolishing Qualcomm just might make the clean up a whole lot simpler. Just scrape it all out. There would probably be federal money to defray a lot of the cost, as well as money from those responsible for the problem.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It isn't public financing. It will be financed by selling bonds to inverters, which will be repaid by income from the stadium. It won't come out of the tax payers pocket unless they are going to the game and paying the increased ticket prices

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Qualcomm would have to be leveled. The city can't afford to keep up with the maintenance on it without the Chargers paying their several million dollar a year rent (Probably around $15-20mil per year).

Now the city should feel even dumber since part of the Chargers proposal in 02/03 which asked from no tax dollars, included the chargers paying for all the clean up costs

18. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Where does it say that the Spanos will pay for clean up of the Q after it is demolished if they are not going to use that location but use either Downtown or LA?

I have been trying to look it up on the Internet and there is nothing at all that I am finding. :icon_huh:

The only things I found are if the Chargers were to Stay at the Q and rebuild a Stadium there then there would be the clean up from the Spanoses and other parts of the City of San Diego.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I've never seen the Chargers or anyone else pony up for that expense to date, not even the folks who caused the contamination.

20. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,413
    Damn. I was hoping he'd make the roster this year. :tdown:

21. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    I think it's pretty clear that he meant that in the old proposal (building a new stadium in part of the qualcomm site) the Chargers would have paid for the clean up

22. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    :lol: let's just hope they don't bring in that UFA from LA to take his place :no:

23. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    The way I was understanding it is the Spanos family would have to clean up the Q site and as well the new Downtown site after both sites were demolished to include the clean up after the demolition. To me that would be too much for them to pay for. It might run to a Billion Dollars easy if not more.

I just hope that all the Spanos Family has to pay for is the clean up of the Downtown site so they can build the Stadium there.

24. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    again, I think DenverBolt meant the 2002/2003 proposal (when they wanted to build in the qualcomm site) not the current proposal

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The proposal they presented to the city in 02/03 included the Chargers paying for the land cleanup. I am not talking about the current idea, I am talking about the actual proposal the Chargers sent the city in 2002/3 which was to rebuild on the current qualcomm site

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Exactly

27. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    This stuff just sounds like horse-trading; someone does x, someone else does y, and another does Z with people A, B & C contributing to the doing of XYZ.

There's no statements about one side HAS TO or MUST pay somehting off, so there's some room for negotiations

28. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Is this thing built yet? I'm antsy.

No offense, Ant. [​IMG]