1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers report: Inside slant - Scott Chandler

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Jul 7, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/SD/10887034

Tight end Scott Chandler is willing and ready.

The Chargers hope they don't have to play the Chandler card often in the upcoming season. But the fact remains with training camp starting next month, the team has yet to see Pro Bowler Antonio Gates on the field.

Gates is still bouncing back from toe surgery, an injury that severely restricted him in the playoffs last season. There is no guarantee Gates, who suffered a dislocated toe, will be ready to go when the Chargers open the season on Sept. 7 against the visiting Panthers.

But remember that old adage of how someone being down jars open a door for someone else. Chandler, entering his second year, is that someone.

"For me personally, it's a good opportunity to get a lot of reps and to really improve," Chandler said.

But Chandler really got his NFL moments last year in the playoffs. With Gates in a walking boot up until game day, Chandler prepared as if he was playing in the season's biggest games.

"I was with the (first team) all through the week," said Chandler, a fourth-round pick out of Iowa last year who appeared in but one game for the Chargers.

"It was a good learning experience, and hopefully, I can build on that."

Coach Norv Turner said Chandler, while showing progress, has many miles to go.

"He's got a lot to learn," Turner said. "We have a specific set of things we want Scott to do to get better, and I think he's doing them. When we get into training camp, we'll see how far he's progressed."

No matter how much he improves, Chandler realizes he's not Gates. Chandler also wouldn't be surprised to see Gates playing in time for the opener.

"I think Gates is going to be back and in there doing his thing," Chandler said. "But I want to be prepared if my time comes to be in there."

Show me your lightning bolt!!!

Use the line or lose the line!!!

La Mesa! El Cajon! San Marcos!! Let's hear from you!!!

2. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Chandler will have to show a mean streak blocking if he's gonna have ANY chance of sticking with the team... and it's something he hasn't shown yet.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I dunno - Gates still isn't a great blocker. If the kid is adequate at blocking & can catch, he'll stick for depth.

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I don't think we've seen enough of him to make a fair evaluation yet. He might have a mean streak, but have to get him some real game time to show if he does or not. He has a lot to learn according to Norv, but the kid seems willing to put in the work. Hell, it took Gates time to learn to play TE as well. The first time he played he wasn't all that effective, then in year 2 that's when it all clicked and the rest is history. Chandler might turn out to be a solid TE, who knows. At least he knows he's not No. 85.

5. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    If Chandler could catch like Gates, I wouldn't be concerning myself with how well he blocked. :icon_rofl:

6. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    I'd like for the kid to make it, but I just haven't seen anything from him yet that makes me especially hopeful. It's not like I've given up and gone Eric Parker on him, though. :lol:

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Iowa isn't place that produced Tight Ends that are prepared for the NFL. The guy had good hands in college and if he can adjust to the speed of the pro game, he'll stick with the team. If he has one, he'll probably get a chance to show his mean streak on special teams.