1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers report: Inside slant

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Mar 5, 2006
    Article Link

Is it a concern if the receivers coach is better known than any of the receivers?

That's one of the few questions dogging last season's highest-scoring team. With veteran Keenan McCardell no longer in the picture, what is the identity of the team's receiving corps?

Can Vincent Jackson turn potential in to production? Can Eric Parker erase the nightmare that was the playoff loss to the Patriots? Can Malcom Floyd avoid the trainer's room? Can rookie Craig Davis, the team's top pick, have an immediate impact?

All that will play out. What's obvious is that general manager A. J. Smith is somewhat confident the crew on the roster will be good enough.

"I just think that they are good players, and we're very happy with where they are," Smith said.

Smith has had the golden touch in flipping the Chargers' roster from one filled with marginal talent to one of the most talented in the NFL. So if he's OK, one guesses everyone else should chill, too.

"The only thing that Malcom needs is maybe to stay healthy," Smith said of Floyd. "But the talent is immense. We think he has a bright future.

"Vincent, last year, I would kind of call a breakout for us, meaning the Chargers and not so much league-wide. But I have a feeling that if he could put back-to-back (good years) together then I think more people around the league will start paying attention to a young receiver -- Vincent Jackson of the Chargers."

What defenses already pay plenty of attention to are the team's two All-Pro weapons: running back LaDainian Tomlinson and tight end Antonio Gates. The presence of those two lessens the stress put on the receivers. That said, if someone can emerge from that bunch, it's possible Tomlinson and Gates could be even more lethal -- now that's a scary thought to opposing defensive coordinators.

Jackson, who is entering his third year out of Northern Colorado, had a dynamite second half. Of his 27 catches, 20 came in the last seven regular-season games. He finished with six touchdown receptions.

Floyd had the team's best single-game showing with 109 yards receiving in the dramatic comeback win at Cincinnati. But three weeks later his season was derailed by an ankle injury.

"That's part of life and part of football, and you have to battle adversity and make sure it doesn't tear it down," said Floyd, the only other Chargers wide out, besides Jackson, to catch a touchdown pass last year -- Floyd had three.

"I just knew they had confidence in us after how we performed last year. They have seen us grow over the years and they do have faith in us that we will go out there and make big plays."

The stage is all theirs.

June 16, 2007
  2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Aug 3, 2006
    I hope they all remain anonymous until the third week of the season.