1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers report: Notes, quotes

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap>Oct. 11, 2007
    <!-- if wire story, print feed name -->
    The Sports Xchange </TD><TD width=10> </TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Notes, quotes

--QB Philip Rivers was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week after leading the Bolts to a 41-3 win at Denver. Rivers completed 13 of 18 passes for 270 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions. His passer rating of 151.4 was his highest single-game total of his career.
    --OLBs Shaun Phillips and Shawne Merriman both played well last year against the Raiders. Phillips had 3 1/2 sacks in the two 2006 games, while Merriman collected three in the season opener. Neither player got a sack last week in the win over Denver.
    --RB LaDainian Tomlinson said it was obvious whenever it was Raiders Week under ex-coach Marty Schottenheimer. "Marty he didn't like the Raiders at all," Tomlinson said. "He couldn't stand the Raiders. I don't think he ever worked there. I don't know, he just never liked the Raiders. It was always for him a little more personal. With Norv (Turner), Norv has a history of being with the Raiders. He obviously coached there and everything. It's a little different in that aspect. Marty downright just hated the Raiders."
    --Turner declined to overanalyze why the Chargers improved so much from one week to the next. "In my mind, it is just the result of what we've been doing on the practice field," he said.
    --Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan is the brother or Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan. The Ravens' Ryan interviewed for the Chargers' head-coaching job that went to Turner.
    --WR Vincent Jackson said the team kept believing in itself even with the slow start. "We've never taken our eyes off the prize," he said. "In the beginning, we struggled a bit, but that's just how it goes."
    --QB Quentin Jammer, as is the rest of the secondary, is often the target of those doubting the Chargers defense. Jammer said he and his teammates can handle it. "I think we can take the heat because we haven't been tackling guys very well and haven't been covering guys great," he said. "(Against Denver), we made an emphasis to come out and make tackles and minimize the gains."
    --Rivers said while the team's wide receivers aren't well known individually that they can do the job collectively. "Our wide receivers may not get 70, 80, 90 balls a year, but with this group, they play well as a group," Rivers said. "They're very unselfish."
    --Counting the 2006 playoffs, the Chargers have lost two of their past three home games. This after going 8-0 at home during the '06 regular season.
    --The Chargers are ending a three-game stretch of playing AFC West rivals, splitting the previous two games. The Chargers don't return to AFC West play until Dec. 2 in Kansas City.
    --Raiders owner Al Davis was on the Chargers coaching staff from 1960-62 as a defensive assistant.
    --Chargers receivers coach James Lofton played for the Raiders from 1987-88.
    --New Raiders offensive line coach Tom Cable was a graduate assistant at San Diego State.
    BY THE NUMBERS
    3 -- Number of LaDainian Tomlinson's seven career TD passes coming against the Raiders. Tomlinson is one shy of tying Walter Payton's NFL mark for non-quarterbacks.
    QUOTE TO NOTE
    "Now we have to take the next step and do it two weeks in a row." -- Chargers coach Norv Turner on following up last week's impressive 41-3 victory over the Broncos.

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil:

:lol:

3. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    What, you don't like Rex Ryan?

4. wrbanwal