1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers report: Notes, quotes

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    --Ravens LB Ray Lewis and the Chargers' Shawne Merriman are close friends; Merriman played with Lewis' younger brother at Maryland. The pair speak often during the season. "We talk about everything; we jaw about so much," Merriman said. "We just enjoy being warriors for the game and he has been doing it for so long and at a high level that it is amazing. I kind of want to get where he is and surpass him in maybe even a shorter time period."
    --The Chargers need to figure out how Merriman can increase his production. He has gone four straight games without a sack. He has 5.5 sacks, but they came in three of the season's 10 games. He had one tackle in the loss at Jacksonville. Merriman led the league with 17 sacks last year in only 12 games.
    --At least the Chargers are at home on Sunday. They are a dismal 1-4 on the road after going 6-2 in away games last year." We're not doing enough to beat better teams, especially on the road," RB LaDainian Tomlinson said. "It's obvious we're not a good road team, playing against good teams."
    --Tomlinson needs 29 yards to reach the 10,000 career yards mark.
    --QB Philip Rivers is struggling, but he hasn't lost his perspective. "I'm thankful for a lot," he said. "I'm thankful for this opportunity. Yeah things aren't going great and people are upset. I understand all that, but there are a lot worse places I could be standing or things that could be going. Today we're all getting to do something that we love to do. It doesn't always go the way you want it, but the way you handle those tough times, I think, is what really defines who you are."
    --LB Carlos Polk was placed on IR after suffering a shoulder injury on Sunday. Polk is a dynamo on special teams, where he leads the team with 12 tackles. His roster spot was taken by rookie LB Jyles Tucker, who was elevated from the practice squad.
    --San Diego signed LB Antwan Applewhite to the practice squad. He takes the place of LB Nick Roach, who was signed by the Bears.
    --The Chargers lead the NFL with 17 interceptions and they have collected 12 in their last three homes games.
    --In the Chargers' last two home games -- both wins -- their special teams has scored three touchdowns.
    --Rick Neuheisel is the Ravens' offensive coordinator, but much like with the Chargers, the head coach -- Brian Billick in this case -- calls the plays. Neuheisel started two games at quarterback for the Chargers during the 1987 strike season.
    --Ravens wide receivers coach Mike Johnson was the Chargers quarterbacks coach from 2000-01.
    --Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan was among the finalists for the Chargers' head-coaching job, which went to Norv Turner.
    --Billick was an offensive coach at San Diego State from 1981-85.
    BY THE NUMBERS
    17 -- Turnovers by QB Philip Rivers, which leads the NFL.
    QUOTE TO NOTE
    "I haven't lost any of my confidence." -- QB Philip Rivers, on his shaky play this season.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap>The Sports Xchange </TD><TD width=10> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Well, I'm certainly glad that PR hasn't lost his confidence. I hope that on Sunday he does a lot more to help restore mine!! :lol:

3. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I'm always confident he will

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm sure he'd say the same thing, even if he was about to perform brain surgery on the coach.

5. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Billick was the offense genius behind the vikings offense back in the late 90's and now he cant put together a decent offense to save his life, much like Norv

So this is getting me to thinking, is there ANY HC who calls the offensive plays that has had any success lately?