1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers report: Strategy and personnel

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltsFanUK, Aug 7, 2007.

1. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Malcom Floyd vs. Craig Davis for starting WR

This competition has taken a new sense of urgency with starter Eric Parker likely to miss the first month of so of the season with a toe injury. Floyd has always been a favorite target of Philip Rivers' as the two used to spend hours throwing to each other when they were backups. Davis is the apple of the Chargers' eye after they burnt their No. 1 pick on him in the April draft. While many are touting Davis, coach Norv Turner said Floyd has opened his eyes. "Everyone is interested in a couple of other guys, but I really am impressed with Malcom Floyd," Turner said. "Because I think he is taking steps to be a complete receiver. Davis, though, also had a good week. "We want to get Eric (Parker; toe) back as soon as we can, but Craig is going to be a factor in our football team."

Clinton Hart vs. Eric Weddle for starting SS. Hart missed some time with a hip injury, which gave the rookie Weddle more opportunities to run with the first team. And it was obvious the chose wasn't too big for the versatile Weddle. "Eric has shown great range," Turner said. "He has very good short-range quickness and breaks on the ball.'

--Darren Sproles vs. Craig Davis for PR: Sproles missed last season with a broken leg, but has rebounded nicely and is showing the quickness which routinely makes special-teamers miss tackles. But Davis is going to push him during the camp. But Sproles is confident he can hold the rookie off. "They have my running with the (first team) and I've looked pretty good out there."

--Billy Volek vs. Charlie Whitehurst for backup QB: Whitehurst got to run the No. 2 team more than usual this week. But Volek remains the backup to Philip Rivers and should keep the job unless something out of the ordinary happens.