1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers reportedly interested in signing LB Mario Williams

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Mar 7, 2012.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Following back-to-back disappointing seasons that saw a supremely talented San Diego team miss the playoffs, the Chargers could be on the verge of making a big free-agent splash this offseason.

The Chargers have assigned an unknown price that they would be willing to pay in order to sign presumptive free agentMario Williams, U-T San Diego reported Tuesday. The newspaper also reported the team spoke with Williams' agent, Ben Dogra, at the NFL Scouting Combine last month, but it's unclear if Williams' name specifically came up in conversation.
    Williams, 27, is considered the top defensive free agent in this year's class, after totaling 53 sacks in six seasons with theHouston Texans. Williams made the switch from 4-3 defensive end to 3-4 outside linebacker this past season when the Texans hired defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, but was lost for the year when he tore his pectoral muscle after only playing five games.
    The Texans elected not to use their franchise tag on Williams, and, barring a deal before Tuesday's deadline, the former No. 1 overall draft pick is set to enter free agency.
    Chargers general manager A.J. Smith has stressed his "philosophy has not changed" in his approach to free agency, according to U-T San Diego, though the newspaper reported the Chargers haven't ruled out pursuing Williams.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...igning-lb-williams?module=HP11_headline_stack

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    AJ pulls this off, I won't declare him a god but he'll at least be a minor deity

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I was sure this would be about Chiefs LB DeMorrio Williams. Lol

• Like Like x 2
  4. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    supremely talented San Diego team

• Like Like x 1
  5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
  6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    If there was ever a season when AJ would get this done, it would be now. So with that, I'll keep a little spark of hope alive. If it doesn't happen - no shock there. With our luck though, we'd get him and thanks to our SUPER AWESOME training staff he'd tear something else in week 1 :p

• Like Like x 3
  7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Sorry...I stopped reading at "supremely talented."
    Anyone using such a phrase for the 2011 roster is not fit to excrete for Bleacher Report.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    If Smitty pulls it off without having been the team offering the largest contract he'll be a minor deity, but that only if he also gets Gaither/Hardwick/VJ under contract and magics us a SS out of thin air.

It takes a lot for me to assign divinity...

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    lol :roflmao:

10. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    thats a little too much lol.. Bring back Gaither/Hardwick, sign Williams and draft a SS and a guy who can make a difference at WR and sign a few guys here and there I'm happy and were in contention.

Nhamdi was a joke. We didn't have a NEED at CB last season. Thats the difference I believe. We surely need a pass rusher and wouldn't be surprised to go after him.

But then again look for AJ to sign Gaither/Hardwick/VJ and then sign a guy with a rich history as a pass rusher such as John Abraham who has never played in the 3-4 and make himself look like a God when it will be a complete fail and make himself look like a fool.

11. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    We've got Larry Engrish and his 128 I.Q. all is well...:whistling:

12. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Quite a few of us in the same boat it seems .................

As soon as I seen that description I couldn't read the rest due to the build up of tears in my eye's and a major pain in my gut from laughing so hard.

Could someone explain to me how a "supremely talented team" manages to miss the playoffs 2 years running ????

Better idea, call and ask that same question of the author, I'd pay good money to hear his answer.

13. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    God, am I gonna give you so much :poop: if we pull off a major FA signing this year, you NNer bastage.

[​IMG]

Any truth to the rumour that you are challenging Ringo for the Presidency of the NN Fan Club this upcoming season ?

remember the good ol' days when you ( & Pumpkin) were the biggest PPer's going at the CMB !!!!

My my, how times have changed in such a short space of time. :D

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    If we sign Mario Williams, then feel free to give me all the :poop: you want.

If we sign the usual mid/low end FA instead, then I'll be :roflmao: at the fans who actually expect AJ to suddenly change his stripes. ;)

15. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Like I'll need your permission ....... :p

Its now or never for AJ and crew, thats the only thing that has me being more postive of a truly decent FA signing this year from past years ...............

Let's see if a Leopard can actually change its spots or not !!!!! ;)

16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Behold!!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Funny, I initially wrote...... "if it's any other Williams, then I'll be :roflmao: at the fans who actually expect AJ to suddenly change his stripes."

Should've stayed with my original instinct. ;)

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    One good williams deserves another

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Na'il Diggs 2.0

20. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    It's like our parents walked us into Foot Locker and showed us all the new Jordans and Reeboks.

Then somehow we left the store with a pair of Payless shoes. Not even sure why or how it happened

• Like Like x 2
  21. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    How many times have I told you to ALWAYS stick with your original "gut instinct" over the years ?????

Hey, maybe AJ just loves the name "Williams" and will gather as many as possible ?

Someone should really tell him that Jamal has retired though, thats just cruel to let him think he has the big man back again.

22. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Could be worse ................... it could be Derek Smith !!!! :D

[​IMG]

One of AJ's greatest 2 year signing ...................how bad was he that AJ cut his arse after only 10 weeks ?

Thats when you seriously know its time to find another career. :roflmao:

23. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Nice ....... :tup:

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Did they shot him with a curare dart before they took that photo? :D

25. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    If I knew what the fark a "curare dart" was, I'd answer that !!! [​IMG]

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Amazon tribes use them...... it's a dart dipped in a paralyzing poison derived from a native plant.