1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers' Rivers says trash- talking ways are behind him

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Aug 29, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/chargers/2008-08-28-sw-rivers_N.htm

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY
    Philip Rivers vows to rehabilitate his trash-talking image as dramatically as he has his surgically rebuilt right knee, crossing his ultra-competitive, country-boy heart.

The San Diego Chargers quarterback named for Philip the Apostle wants to change his "Muddy" Rivers image for stirring things up, even though he remains an emotional player who enjoys running his mouth at the defense during practices and games.

"It's a highly competitive atmosphere, and if you can't do that on a football field, I think we're kidding ourselves," Rivers says. "We're having a good time. That's really all it is.

"Myself and (new Minnesota Vikings defensive end) Jared Allen went back and forth all the time when he was in Kansas City. It's a blast.

"But I don't want to be a distraction."

There was an incident against the Denver Broncos in late December when Rivers went at it verbally with counterpart Jay Cutler. Then there was Rivers jawing with several Indianapolis Colts fans on his way into the locker room after tearing his anterior cruciate knee ligament during San Diego's divisional playoff win.

His teammates love their quarterback's feisty nature. But Rivers, a father of four and the son of a highly respected former Alabama high school football coach, did some soul searching this offseason.

He doesn't want to be that guy who crosses the line from having fun to hurting his team with an ill-timed unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty, though his jabbering never includes cursing.

"It's unfortunate that a couple of things that were caught by television cameras were blown way out of proportion," Rivers says. "I don't think it looks good jawing with fans. … I will tone that down.

"I was not being derogatory to those Colts fans. I spent four quarters in the game and I felt like I knew them. But it didn't come across great on TV. And I'm the first to acknowledge that."

Rivers' profile as a courageous team leader has never been higher after playing in the AFC Championship Game a week after the Colts win with his severely damaged knee.

"Philip made his mark to the world that he's the leader of this team," tight end Antonio Gates says of that gutsy performance. "That's a quarterback who played on a torn ACL, not a defensive lineman, a linebacker or a tight end."

Rivers showed impressive physical and mental toughness that day. The Chargers lost to the then-undefeated New England Patriots 21-12, but Rivers won admiration in many quarters. "He earned new respect with his team and around the league," CBS analyst Phil Simms says. "It's an unbelievable positive for him."

As for Rivers' persona, Simms says, "You have to be who you are. It's funny. There's some quarterbacks who get a lot of heat in the NFL for not showing any emotion. Eli Manning did.

"Now a quarterback who does show emotion gets criticized."

Chargers coach Norv Turner points to Rivers' remarkable bottom line.

"The Chargers are 25-7 with Philip as the starter, including 15-1 at home," Turner says. "He takes advantage of being with good players. … Most of the great quarterbacks with that kind of record have that fortunate advantage.

"But if you wanted to write a manual about how to come back from ACL surgery, Philip did that this offseason. … I've never seen anyone approach knee rehab the way he did with the time and energy he committed to getting back as quickly as he did."

Rivers threw 21 touchdown passes and 15 interceptions last season. But after the team's rocky 1-3 start, the Chargers finished 11-5, led by Rivers throwing for 14 touchdowns and only eight interceptions over the last 10 games.

After his tenacious rehabilitation, Rivers' throwing arm appears stronger, as does his rapport with wideout Chris Chambers, who was acquired in a midseason trade with the Miami Dolphins in October. The work Rivers and Chambers have put in together this offseason is evident in their enhanced synergy.

Chambers has enjoyed one of the most impressive training camps of any Chargers player.

"Just to have an offseason with Philip really helps my game, and I'm looking forward to this season," Chambers says. "He's a great guy to be around, with a great personality. I wish people could get to know him.

"People forget, he's just a fifth-year quarterback, and he'll be better and more mature this season."

Chambers, who had 35 receptions with four touchdowns in 10 games with the Chargers in 2007, also figures to help fourth-year wide receiver Vincent Jackson, who had 41 catches a year ago.

"The best thing Chris does for Vincent is he drags a lot of attention away from him and there are a lot of open windows in Cover 2 for a guy like Vincent to make plays," Turner says.

What Chambers does for Rivers is widen his throwing windows with his long wingspan and knack for running routes with his arms at his sides, then going up to snatch the football at the last instant without tipping off cornerbacks to the fact that the ball is upon them.

"A lot of defensive backs are taught, 'Run, run and, when you see the receivers' hands go up, get ready to chop down,' " Rivers says. "Chris waits to the last second.

"If you want to get to that next level, you have to really get to know one another. Chris and I have had a great offseason together."

They hope that enhanced rapport and Rivers' ever-increasing maturity pay regular-season and postseason rewards for one of the AFC's favorites to reach Super Bowl XLIII.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    i guess the haters will have to find a new reason to talk s*** about PR.

3. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I"m glad to hear he wants to eliminate the trash talking with fans. That is the only thing I have ever taken issue with.

Way to go Phil! :abq2:

4. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    PR is definitely taking on the leadership role.

5. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    i love it!!!!:tup:

6. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Yeah, I don't care very much for the trashin it with fans but I never had a problem with Philip's fiery personality against opponents. I'd much rather have Philip's VISIBLE intensity over someone laid back. Philip can tone it down if he wants but that should be HIS choice alone and not one pressured by a stupid media. Let's see what happens if Cutlips starts jawing at him again :lol:

7. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    yah on the field u got to have that swagger and talk trash stil

8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Good. I don't have any issue with his talking smack on the field, but the fan interaction and coming off the side lines creates a bad image.

And Cutler is still a punk.

9. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Hey Jay Cutler! You're a double doody licking snot-nosed punk!" -Philip Rivers

• Like Like x 1
  10. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    Love it! I hope he keeps talking trash on the field. If he can rent some space in the opposition's head, that's fine with me.

11. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Yep, leave the idiot fans out of it. But I am cool with him jawing at the oppossing team players.