1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers Road to the Playoffs - You plot the course.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Regardless of how the Donkey's fare - how do you think the Bolts will do with their remaining schedule? Will it be enough to win the division? Wildcard spot?

No fighting - just give it a guess and talk about the why's/how's.

imo - I think our boys can continue their Dec streak... @KC and the Denver games will be tough, doable but tough as with @NY & home vs. Eagles. Split KC/Denver games and win Eagles match-up could put us at 10-6, sweep KC that's a potential 11-5.

Week 1 Mon. Sep. 14 @ Raiders 7:15 PM
    Week 2 Sun. Sep. 20 Ravens 1:15 PM
    Week 3 Sun. Sep. 27 Dolphins 1:15 PM
    Week 4 Sun. Oct. 4 @ Steelers 5:20 PM
    Week 5 Sun. Oct. 11 BYE
    Week 6 Mon. Oct. 19 Broncos 5:30 PM
    Week 7 Sun. Oct. 25 @ Chiefs 10:00 AM
    Week 8 Sun. Nov. 1 Raiders 1:05 PM
    Week 9 Sun. Nov. 08 @ Giants 1:15 PM
    Week 10 Sun. Nov. 15 Eagles 1:15 PM
    Week 11 Sun. Nov. 22 @ Broncos 1:15 PM
    Week 12 Sun. Nov. 29 Chiefs 1:05 PM
    Week 13 Sun. Dec. 6 @ Browns 1:05 PM
    Week 14 Sun. Dec. 13 @ Cowboys 1:15 PM
    Week 15 Sun. Dec. 20 Bengals 1:05 PM
    Week 16 Fri. Dec. 25 @ Titans 4:30 PM
    Week 17 Sun. Jan. 3 Redskins 1:15 PM

• Like Like x 1
  2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    The December streak won't mean anything if we're too deep in the hole and if we don't see another Denver meltdown.

We need a team before we can think about playoffs. Right now, we're NOT a team. Just a group of players.

3. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    That wasn't my question. Please keep it on topic or go complain in another thread. Thanks! :tup:

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Bottom Line... unless we see a different team on Monday, this discussion is premature.

5. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Bottom line go find another thread to complain in - get on topic or get the f out :wave:

• Like Like x 1
  6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555

vs Denver............W.
    @ KC............W.
    vs OAK.........W.
    @ NYG.......L.
    vs PHI.......L.
    @ DEN.......L.
    vs KC........W.
    @ CLE.......W.
    @ DAL.......L.
    vs CIN.......L.
    @ TEN......L
    vs WAS.....W

8-8.

To sum up, teams that can run the ball will beat us. This can change dramatically if we aquire a legit NT this week.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    vs Denver............W
    @ KC............W
    vs OAK.........W
    @ NYG.......L
    vs PHI.......W
    @ DEN.......L
    vs KC........W
    @ CLE.......W
    @ DAL.......W
    vs CIN.......W
    @ TEN......L
    vs WAS.....W

11-5

RBs may run us over but they would need to stop Rivers and I don't really see that happening often.

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Rivers can't get on the field if our D can't get off the field. The Pitt game was living proof of that.

Even if we make the playoffs living off Rivers we won't win if we can't run the ball and stop the run.

9. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks with trades/FA and to see how much progress was made during the bye week.

gotta say tho - hope you're wrong mat :) 8-8 is like worst case scenario for me right now... but possible. schedule is tough this year and denver is playing for real.

10. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    That would be 13-3.

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Based on how they have played to date:
    Off against a riled up Raiders
    OK against the Ravens, but woke up too late
    Ahh ok against the Dolphins
    WAY off against Pittsburgh

vs Denver............W (I think they have something to prove)
    @ KC............W
    vs OAK.........W
    @ NYG.......L (Giants run and victimize Cro)
    vs PHI.......W (Beatable)
    @ DEN.......W (I am not sold on them yet)
    vs KC........W
    @ CLE.......W
    @ DAL.......W (They are not a playoff team)
    vs CIN.......W (Not sure if they are for real)
    @ TEN......W (Tenn not playing well)
    vs WAS.....W (They may win less than 4)

12-4

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    Win the rest of their games and they're in.

13. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Anything can happen in the playoffs. The Colts run defense was awful the year they won the SB, but in the playoffs they played great.

14. NatroneMeansBusiness

NatroneMeansBusiness BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    vs Denver............L
    @ KC............W.
    vs OAK.........W.
    @ NYG.......L.
    vs PHI.......L.
    @ DEN.......W
    vs KC........W.
    @ CLE.......W.
    @ DAL.......W
    vs CIN.......L.
    @ TEN......L
    vs WAS.....W

I see 9-7 being realistic. I think some of you saying that this is a potential 11 or 12 win team is ridiculous. That is like saying the Costa Rican army is on a quest to conquer the world. I am just guessing that we will split with Denver, with the away team winning each time. I pray to god I am wrong about this coming week though.

15. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    I see you missing the playoffs at 9-7.

Sorry.

16. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    10-11 wins I see as possible, 12 would be HUGE but I'm not hanging my hopes on it, not unless they REALLY turn it around in next few weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  17. NatroneMeansBusiness

NatroneMeansBusiness BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Agreed

18. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Predicting 11 wins isn't that absurd. Titans suck, we play Cincy at home and Philly at home, I could see us going 2 of 3 from those 3 games. Now I don't see us going 13-3 unless something magical happens with the defense.

Philly is more of a passing team, the deep ball, more so than a running team. Bengals game will be late in the season, we'll see if they're still barely winning games by then.

19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    :lol: Wether its happened before or not, its not something we can count on. Defense and rushing its what wins games in cold weather, and the way things are shaping up right now we're not going to be in the warm confines of San Diego in January.

20. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    If we start playing like we did at the end of last year, then the only loss I see is maybe to the Giants. Otherwise we should win all the other games.

21. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    theres truth and stupidity in that. we arent ready for the playoffs, thats right, but we arent in a hole. dont worry about **** we cant control, were 2-2, it's as if we havent started season yet. and what? 15 points keeps us undefeated? we havent gotten blown out, weve been out played. we havent lost, we just ran out of time. :bolt:

22. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Our wins will come as our defense plays. Right now, I can't look ahead. It's kinda scary.

Read in today's paper that our defense fell 10 spots in the NFL rankings after the Pittsburgh game. :icon_eek:

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I'm not complaining. I'm stating the truth.
    Right now, we're not a team. Just a group of players.

I'm not into pouring sugar on a turd and telling people it's candy.

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Ughhhhhh. The ONLY reason we didn't get our a**ses handed to us in Oakland is because Al wasn't smart enough to keep Garcia.

I'm not sold on that so-called come back in Pittsburgh. Though the Steelers fell asleep and almost blew it, still those were junk points.

Seems to me that there's truth and memory lapses in this! :yes:

25. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    It doesn't matter if you win by one or win by 35. A win is a win. You're seriously gunna ***** about a win? It doesn't matter how you start, it's how you finish. Those weren't junk points. If they were, we wouldn't have had our starters out there. It's still early and we're off to a better start than our previous two seasons and we made the playoffs then.

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    No, but there's a matter of winning ugly to a BAD team!!! Especially when the win was mostly out of luck!

In the Chargers locker room, the game ball should have really gone to JaMarcus Russell. Care to deny?

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Well 9-7 isn't going to do it this season. That's for sure!!!

I hope we make it in but ONLY if we can make it to the Super Bowl from there and win it!!!

28. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Week 6 Mon. Oct. 19 Broncos 5:30 PM

Win-We should take this game at home. I would expect that we show up for a big Monday Night game after a bye week, but if they don't it wouldn't be the strangest thing I've seen this team do. Regardless, their backs are against the wall and I would hope that they can pull out a must win at home.

Week 7 Sun. Oct. 25 @ Chiefs 10:00 AM

Win-This one will be close. I know that most people simply log a win in here without a second thought, but our team is notorious for struggling in KC, especially Philip. Their defense is improved some, and I will always worry about the short passing game. If Cassel is on his game, this one could be a surprise. Something else to keep track of in regards to this game, the infamous 10 AM start. With the way our guys party around the night before, look for a very frustrating performance to watch, win or loss.

Week 8 Sun. Nov. 1 Raiders 1:05 PM

Win-No way we lose to the Turds at home. At this point, the only QB's who don't look good against us are bums like Russel, guys who can't hit wide open targets.

Week 9 Sun. Nov. 08 @ Giants 1:15 PM

Loss-This could be a blowout. Giants have the best offensive line in the league, and I don't see any way that our defense as it's currently constructed can stand up to that running attack. To make matters worse, Sheli is a competent QB and will pick our secondary apart. Then when you take into account the Giants front seven against our offensive line, I just hope Rivers survives.

Week 10 Sun. Nov. 15 Eagles 1:15 PM

Loss-Another competent QB, and another loss. Any QB who is worth his salt can have a big game against our defense due to its horrible pass rush. If we can dial it up, we could very well win, but as things currently sit I expect close loss in a very high scoring game.

Week 11 Sun. Nov. 22 @ Broncos 1:15 PM

Loss-At this point, I could see this one going either way. But, I'm going to try and be as objective as possible and admit that Denver is 5-0 with one of the best defenses in the league and a top five offensive line. The game is going to be freezing cold, and without any semblance of a running game, I fear that this one could go the other way.

Week 12 Sun. Nov. 29 Chiefs 1:05 PM

Win-We'll struggle against the Chiefs again, but we pull this one out at home.

Week 13 Sun. Dec. 6 @ Browns 1:05 PM

Win-Unless the weather really screws us over, there should be no way that we lose this game.

Week 14 Sun. Dec. 13 @ Cowboys 1:15 PM

Loss-I see a lot of people chalking this one down as a win, but I don't know why. The Cowboys can really run the ball, and by the time we play they'll have Felix Jones back. Romo isn't a great QB, but he's better than Russel and with the amount of time our pass rush affords opposing QB's, he'll have a lot of success against us. Bottom line is that, once again, the opposing team will be able to move the ball against our defense, while we'll have to rely on big passing plays to score due to our inconsistent offensive line and horrid ground game. Teams can neutralize one half of our offense, and our defense simply can't do that right now.

Week 15 Sun. Dec. 20 Bengals 1:05 PM

Win-Lord, this could be a very close game. They can run the ball, and we can't stop the run. They have a very effective pass rush, while we don't have one at all. I would hope that we can pull this one out at home, but it will be close.

Week 16 Fri. Dec. 25 @ Titans 4:30 PM

Loss-Titans might be 0-4, but they can still run the football. Kerry Collins is below average if you get pressure on him, but our defense can't. We can't run the ball, so once again the Titans will be pinning their ears back and getting after Philip. Then when you add into the fact that the weather will be freezing, well, I'd be surprised with a win.

Week 17 Sun. Jan. 3 Redskins 1:15 PM

Win-Redskins are a mess, kind of like us. We should win this last game at home, and hopefully it's meaningful.

Final record is 9-7, though I'm worried about the Bengals game and the early game against the Chiefs.

Things that could change this prediction:

1) We find a way to get a consistent run game going. We have to find a way to do this, or I don't see us making much headway this year. Teams don't win Superbowls by simply throwing bombs down field all game.
    2) We get a legitimate NT in a trade so that we can at least slow down opposing teams' rushing attack. Doing this would give us a better shot at getting after the QB, and could potentially make our defense better than average, though still not an elite unit.
    3) We develop a pass rush. This is related to number 2, but even if we don't grab a NT somewhere, we have to get a pass rush or the season is over. With the way teams spread the ball nowadays, not having a pass rush that can get to the QB will kill you.

29. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Historically (from my memory) when our back is against the wall, we've come out swinging. EX-- New England, Jets, Tampa Bay and Denver. We CRUSHED Denver in the game that mattered BIG TIME, all with way less talent than we have right now. Oh yeah, and LT broke out and we saw parts of the old LT as he racked up, what? 3, 4 tds?

30. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I agree re: the defense improving = wins. I'm optimistic that we will see just that in the coming weeks which is what I based my wins/losses on... if we continue to play like we did vs. Pitt well, then that would change things hehe

Totally with you on this, there are still too many guys who have been thru this before and come out the otherwise on top to give up now. :tup:

Then don't post in the thread? :icon_shrug: if you don't want to stay on topic and discuss what could happen in future games then don't post. If you want to talk about what's wrong with our team (or lack of team in your OPINION) there are plenty of places for you to do that. If not, then just click out and go elsewhere and let those of us who DO want to stay on topic and discuss our opinions do so. It's really not that hard Alan.