1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers rookie Legedu Naanee is being asked to become a ‘jack of all trades’

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Thursday, Jul 26, 2007
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

Chargers rookie tight end/H-back Legedu Naanee is resigned to the fact that he might have to spend a bit more time in his playbook over the next month than many of his teammates.

“It’s going to be an exciting challenge, but I’ve got a lot to learn,” Naanee said.

The Chargers drafted the former Boise State wide receiver with the idea of finding various ways to utilize Naanee’s versatility. By his own account, Naanee has already lined up in six different spots. During the rookie practice Thursday, he worked with the fullbacks, wide receivers and tight ends and took snaps in the backfield, from the slot, on the line of scrimmage and split wide.

“They want to expose me to everything and really see what I do best,” Naanee said. “Versatility has always been one of my strengths. I’m going to do whatever is asked of me and try to contribute however I can.”

Head Coach Norv Turner plans to be patient with his young pupil, knowing that with the depth the Chargers have at the skill positions, Naanee won’t have to contribute in various places right away.

“As a young player, it would take a pretty unusual set of circumstances for him to be in one of those spots when we start the season,” Turner said. “He’s got protections to learn, he’s got some things to learn in the run game. It’s going to be a work in progress, but I think he’s going to have a chance to do enough things that we can get him in preseason games and let him play a lot of positions.”

Turner likes what he’s seen from Naanee and is encouraged by the raw talent he’s displayed over the course of the offseason.

“He’s more natural when he’s playing wide receiver, but when we move him around he’s doing the wide receiver things really well,” Turner said. “He’s a good athlete and he’s really working hard.”

Position changes are nothing new to Naanee. He played quarterback his first two season at Boise State before being moved to wide receiver and he also saw time at tight end during his college career. Naanee believes his background as a signal caller has helped him pick up the Chargers offense and learn the many things he’s being asked to do.

“The quarterback has to know what everyone else is doing, and I think I learn best when I figure out what the guys around me are trying to accomplish,” Naanee said. “I understand spacing. That’s helped me draw guys off of the intended target and help me anticipate when the ball is probably coming to me.”

Naanee admits that he’s most comfortable simply running routes and catching the football, but he’s embraced the opportunity he has to do different things.

“At the end of the day, I think the ultimate purpose is that they’re going to line me up in places that will give me favorable match ups,” Naanee said. “I’m really motivated by the fact that my head coach is one of the best in the business at creating mismatches and exploiting them. Knowing he’s got me in mind with some of those ideas, that’s exciting.”

Safety first

Marlon McCree, Clinton Hart and Bhawoh Jue are making up for lost time this week. Each of the veteran safeties missed a portion of the offseason program after undergoing minor surgeries, but that allowed the trio to get a head start on training camp this week.

“It’s been good for us to have them out here,” Turner said. “They’re the signal callers. They make all the checks. They’re the guys that initiate so much of the communication. I think these three days will help them so when we start Saturday we’ll have a chance to get a lot done. They missed some of the offseason work and they were eager and excited.”

Still strong

Linebacker Anthony Waters participated in all team drills both Wednesday and Thursday and drew praise from his coaches for the way he attacked the ball. Once two-a-days start, Waters will likely work only once a day as he continues to strengthen his knee. The Bolts’ third-round draft pick suffered a torn ACL last September that cost him his senior season.

This and That

- After ranking third in the NFL in merchandise sales a year ago, the Chargers currently lead the league sale of team apparel this year.

- Wide receiver Malcom Floyd is another veteran who arrived to camp early due to the fact that he ended last season on Reserve-Injured. Floyd is taking advantage of the early work as he caught a deep ball for a touchdown Thursday morning and also flashed with a diving grab across the middle of the field.

-Other highlights from the morning practice included pass breakups by linebacker Kurt Kahui, cornerback Paul Oliver and McCree, who denied Floyd of a touchdown catch by closing on a deep ball.

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/naanee-being-put.htm

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yngwie77

Yngwie77 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17
    All good stuff! With a name like Naanee he just has to be good!

• Like Like x 1
  3. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Who's the girl in your avatar??

4. Yngwie77

Ratings:
    +17
    My lovely wife!

5. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    You know that avatar size is now 150 x 150 ? We wouldn't be upset at all if that gif was enlarged.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    :icon_rofl:

7. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

Egg-sell-lant. :tup:

8. Yngwie77

Ratings:
    +17
    Not bad for 37 and 2 kids lol. I'll keep her!

9. Yngwie77

Ratings:
    +17
    I wouldn't either. I'll have to go back and do it at that size. Might take a bit though i'm not too adpet at that stuff. Took forever to do that one.

10. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

I don't know what "adpet" means. :icon_shrug:

11. Yngwie77

Ratings:
    +17
    LOL adept. Guess i'm not very "adpet" at typing either LOL!

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Next time bring her and you stay home. :lol:

This new kid sounds promising. When we had Winslow, Sievers and Holohan for Tight Ends, we were unstoppable.

If Naanee can spend some time with Gates and Manu in his off time learning and with Norv Turner looking to redeem his head coaching record, look out.

This is one dude I am watching real real close.

The WR kid Davis either makes it or ends up being a forum goat. It has been a while since we drafted a WR in the first round. Hell, I do not remember the last time we did as a matter of fact ?

13. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    My wife still comments on how you kept talking about her *** last time we were in Dago. :icon_twisted:

14. Yngwie77

Ratings:
    +17

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    It took me until we were walking to the fan zone to realize who the hell you were and by that time - **** - the damage was done. I do not remember comments on your wife's *** tho ? :icon_huh: I did say if anyone wanted my Charger beads it was Mardi Gras rules and then some chick flashed her ga'zongas but that was someone else.

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

17. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    :icon_rofl:

It was when we were getting the pictures done. You kept saying that they would turn out better if she showed some ***. :icon_eek:

18. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    not bad for an 18 year old virgin bro. :icon_toast:

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Oh ****. :lol:

The reason I laugh is because it is something I could hear myself saying....like show some skin.....flash a mammary and not even know who the fuc it is because it is a mass of flesh and people copping free feels while taking a picture and telling them they are about to become famous.

Sometimes it works. :lol:

20. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    all i want to do is cop a feel on some carne of the gods i am so ready 9-9

• Like Like x 1
  21. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :lol: :bolt: :lol:

22. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I have a feeling this guy is going to make a big splash this season, with all the weapons we have defenses are going to have a hard time dealing with Na', especially if we let VJ and Floyd strech the field...

23. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Anthony Miller?

Lawrence Anthony Miller (born April 15, 1965 in Los Angeles, California) is a former professional American football player who was selected by the San Diego Chargers in the 1st round (15th overall) of the 1988 NFL Draft. A 5'11", 185-lb. wide receiver from the University of Tennessee, Miller played in 10 NFL seasons from 1988 to 1997.
    A five-time Pro Bowl selection, Miller's best year as a pro came during the 1993 season with the Chargers, catching 84 passes for 1,162 yards and 7 touchdowns. During the 1995 season as a member of the Denver Broncos, Miller scored on 14 touchdown receptions. He ended his career with the Dallas Cowboys in 1997.

Oldie Out

24. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    I am hoping Naanee is going to develop into something of a Pete Holohan type of guy. At his size it is a little unreasonable to think he will ever be that much of a blocker, but if he is at least a decent blocker, then we can get him on the field. If he can't, he pretty much has to play WR. But if he can develop some inline blocking skills, he is the kind of guy who we can use as a motion blocker and Hback type of guy. Then it forces the mismatch in that Hback usually draw a LB in coverage, and Gates is already drawing at least 1 S. That would allow a lot of mismatches that other teams just would not be able to stop unless they go nickel all day long.

25. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    The part of the article that got my attention was the snippet at the end:

Hell, I didn't even know they finished third in that category in '06. Coming on top of the news of a waiting list of season-tickets I don't know if I can handle all this success and popularity for the Chargers. Guess I'll have to learn to live with it. ;)

26. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Two years as a college QB. Throwing off the reverse as an option play. Now there's a gadget play that sound's like tons of fun. The Holohan comparison is inspired, although Fouts had a bit to do with that. Manu, Naanee, Gates, Chandler, Jackson, Floyd, Parker, Davis and the backs. Enough bullets for a Browning Hi Power clip. Bang, bang! They're dead.